Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376193 times)

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2310 on: September 12, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »

Finally found it. It was Aprosis Arena. I was digging through old external hardrives coz I used to save the installation .exe for my games

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 15, 2016, 09:36:09 am »

The game I am looking for, is a browser turn base strat game. You have cities, that generate your armies. Between turns you draw lines to where you want your army to go. The thicker/more line you drew, the more of your army would go there. You had a short amount of time to draw all your lines. Then the turn would play out, where all the players moves play out at the same time.

The game didnt have very many maps. It had a map based on LOTR, US and Europe a very tiny map that "could" do 4 player games, but in 2 player can become a pretty neat tug of war.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 11, 2016, 06:35:00 am »

JRPG with a Lion man with a big axe.
PS2 era.
Starts with a G... I think...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 11, 2016, 07:06:24 pm »

Grandia II. Mareg(lion-guy) was a total badass.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: October 11, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »

However I didn't think it was a DOS game, partly because I don't recall messing around to get it to work on windows. And partly because I don't recall it having the DOS-era graphics that Darklands has. All that being said Darklands seems so similar to what I was looking for that it could just be the case that I'm remembering things wrong.
DOS games ran mostly okay on Windows 3.1 and 95/98 without anything special, it wasn't till 2000 (well, NT) that DOSBox became necessary.

The memory could be finicky, rebooting into DOS was better, but mostly things would just work.

You didn't boot in DOS mode from Windows 3.1. Windows 3.1 was something you ran from the command line. Some people had it autorun at boot but that was rare because it had very specific applications like Office that you used it for.

Windows 95 thru ME did have a way to boot into a sorta DOS, so yeah no DOSBox, but it was a pain in the ass to configure the config.sys file properly, you ended up having completely different memory configurations for the GUI and the command line (and even different configs for certain games). Windows XP did away with that as it was based on Windows NT/2000, but still could "emulate" a DOS command line, even in full screen. Mostly not games.

WinME got rid of the ability to boot into DOS mode, actually. You could try to run things from within it, but might not have enough free memory, so it sucked compared to 98, in addition to whatever the other reasons were that it sucked which I have since forgotten. (It was bad enough that I went from ME to win2k before xp existed, and for a little while, triple-booted 2k, 98, and linux)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:20 pm »

I saw a thread/post on some free browser game that looked cool. It was a multiplayer game, high fantasy with wizards and such top down game. You would control a party, but I can't remember the title.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:16 am »

I know this game exists, I've been on its wiki, and I remember thinking: I need to bookmark this shit before I forget the name.

Now I've forgotten.

So, here's how it works. It's not a video game, it's sort of a pen/paper style- at least in that you never need electronic aids. It's a strict PvP game where each round of the game is last man standing.

The player's start each game with an equal number of power points, and items are dealt/listed for everyone to 'bid' powerpoints on. If you win the bid, you get the item but lose the PP. If you lose, you just get to keep your pp.

Each action after that phase is split between allocating pp pool between attack and defense against your various opponents and trying to leverage your items effectively. Successfully damaging someone reduces their pp pool.

I remember that there are many variants of the game, from superhero to old west to sci-fi space ship battle- BUT I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED AND MY GOOGLE-FU IS FAILING ME.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2317 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:50 am »

This one is driving me nuts. It's a very old 2D MMORPG I used to play. I think it had "RPG" in the title. It was very low-res, tile-based. The graphics were very similar to "Byond" games. It was one of the first (certainly one of the first FREE) MMOs where you could build and destroy terrain. You could claim a 20x20 chunk of land, build on it, mine under it, and grow plants (though they took several real-life days to grow). There was a town at the start, with standard quests, mostly going into the sewers to kill cockroaches, I think. The further from spawn you went, the crazier and more dangerous the monsters got, which was a problem, because all land outside of town was claimable, and people tended to claim a solid wall around the start so you couldn't get far enough to find free land to build on. :P

I think it was popular maybe 15 years ago, around the same time as Dransik, if anyone remembers that, with the advantage that it was free (though some things were behind a subscription-based pay wall). I spent so many hours having fun with this one, and now I can't remember the name of it. I've tried searching, but there are just too many MMOs around now for me to find it without more detail. It's probably not running anymore, though if it is, you bet I'm going to jump right back into it...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 30, 2016, 08:53:23 am »

RPGWorld Online. I remember that. Loved it. I think I have bits and pieces of it installed somewhere. I think the server stuff was released into the wild a while back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2319 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:53 am »

RPGWorld Online. I remember that. Loved it. I think I have bits and pieces of it installed somewhere. I think the server stuff was released into the wild a while back.

That's the one! Thank you so much!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 30, 2016, 06:51:22 pm »

I've got a really, really tricky one for you all.

The game would have been published prior to the late 90's, and was a first person point-and-click puzzle adventure game. The game started with your character hanging upside-down from a tree by their parachute in the amazon rainforest after their aeroplane crashed. It is quite possible at this point to kill yourself by undoing your parachute and plunging to your death. Further along in the game you collect items such as a machete or broken radio and solve puzzle based challenges involving pressing tiles with symbols or navigating an underground cave complex maze that looks the same in every room.

The interface had your standard style "Look" "Use" "Open" etc. buttons to interact with the environment, and there was good old 16 bit graphics displayed in a small window to show you your environment. I remember playing this game on the PCs at school way back in the 90's, but can't remember the name of it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 30, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »

Google (first person point and click parachute old) thinks it may be INCA, published by Sierra Online.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 30, 2016, 08:21:00 pm »

Amazon rainforest helps a bit but it was a popular location. Ones that come to my mind are "Flight of the Amazon Queen" and "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". I don't think you can die in the first one though Zak McKracken has jungle mazes.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 30, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »

Sorry, no win.

Games it's not:

Emerald Isle (1984)
INCA (1992)
Amazon: Guardians of Eden (1992)
Flight of the Amazon Queen (1995)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 30, 2016, 08:46:49 pm »

Huh. A potential hit is Aztlan: Stone of the Fifth Sun, apparently.

But, uh. If it is that one, good luck finding it >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 204