Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376177 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2295 on: August 16, 2016, 07:44:11 pm »

However I didn't think it was a DOS game, partly because I don't recall messing around to get it to work on windows.
If it was 90s enough, you probably didn't have to even if it was a DOS game. It wasn't until XP or vista or so that you particularly needed stuff like dosbox. For most of the 95/98 era, DOS usually wasn't any more effort than double-clicking.

That said, there is a handful of other games with play similar to darklands, though names are escaping me at the moment. Unfortunately, the combat style is what would probably help figure it out more than anything. Whether it was first person or isometric/top-down would narrow options down a fair bit.

That said, you may want to check something like this, and see if something looks familiar. Probably a few similar resources, but that's the first that came to mind. Going over one of wikipedia's game lists to see if a name rings a bell might not hurt, either.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:48:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 17, 2016, 09:41:27 am »

However I didn't think it was a DOS game, partly because I don't recall messing around to get it to work on windows. And partly because I don't recall it having the DOS-era graphics that Darklands has. All that being said Darklands seems so similar to what I was looking for that it could just be the case that I'm remembering things wrong.
DOS games ran mostly okay on Windows 3.1 and 95/98 without anything special, it wasn't till 2000 (well, NT) that DOSBox became necessary.

The memory could be finicky, rebooting into DOS was better, but mostly things would just work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 17, 2016, 10:15:45 am »

anything using an EMM stack would have problems even in win3.x 

Lots of things would "just work" but it is a safe bet that if you had to customize your config.sys to make it load, then you'd be better off not running it under windows.

If it used an extender like dos4gw, then fuhgeddaboudit.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:07 am »

However I didn't think it was a DOS game, partly because I don't recall messing around to get it to work on windows. And partly because I don't recall it having the DOS-era graphics that Darklands has. All that being said Darklands seems so similar to what I was looking for that it could just be the case that I'm remembering things wrong.
DOS games ran mostly okay on Windows 3.1 and 95/98 without anything special, it wasn't till 2000 (well, NT) that DOSBox became necessary.

The memory could be finicky, rebooting into DOS was better, but mostly things would just work.

You didn't boot in DOS mode from Windows 3.1. Windows 3.1 was something you ran from the command line. Some people had it autorun at boot but that was rare because it had very specific applications like Office that you used it for.

Windows 95 thru ME did have a way to boot into a sorta DOS, so yeah no DOSBox, but it was a pain in the ass to configure the config.sys file properly, you ended up having completely different memory configurations for the GUI and the command line (and even different configs for certain games). Windows XP did away with that as it was based on Windows NT/2000, but still could "emulate" a DOS command line, even in full screen. Mostly not games.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

Pretty sure DOS programs could run in 95 simply by double-clicking them, though, booting into DOS wasn't necessary (just recommended).  I think DOS programs could be launched from 3.1 also but maybe you had to exit Windows first.  Probably a lot safer to exit.

95 and 98 were basically DOS programs like 3.1 was, they just autoran by default yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 17, 2016, 04:42:21 pm »

Depends on the game.  Some required you to boot into DOS, some did have the option of running through Windows.  In 1995, the former was still common, but even by 1996 and on, the latter was the norm for those games that were still DOS-compatible.  I do recall dropping back into DOS for several games like Wing Commander: Privateer, which was quite finicky, and I recall Mission Critical had separate options for Windows or DOS compatibility modes.  Not all of them could handle the Windows shell.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:51 am »

I need help in finding a game, with few details to go. The game had baldur-like dialogue(maybe even graphics), it was also in a 2.5D view, and was probably a RPG as well. I don't remember anything about character customization, nor if you start with companions(or if there are any). The only thing I remember about it is that in the beginning I reach a village which is having problems, and I enter a conversation with a villager. Among the options I can slit his throat without gaining any information, and if I do that, someone reacts with a "Why would you do such a thing?".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 19, 2016, 11:58:57 am »

I need help in finding a game, with few details to go. The game had baldur-like dialogue(maybe even graphics), it was also in a 2.5D view, and was probably a RPG as well. I don't remember anything about character customization, nor if you start with companions(or if there are any). The only thing I remember about it is that in the beginning I reach a village which is having problems, and I enter a conversation with a villager. Among the options I can slit his throat without gaining any information, and if I do that, someone reacts with a "Why would you do such a thing?".
I don't remember if that's a thing you could do in the game itself, but it sounds like something that could happen in Planescape:Torment.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 27, 2016, 12:39:21 pm »

I don't remember if that's a thing you could do in the game itself, but it sounds like something that could happen in Planescape:Torment.

could also be Icewind Dale, Neverwinter nights or Dink Smallwood(this game was really funny ;D)

I also need help remembering this game. it was like a gladiator arena with minimalist pixel graphics. the game was free from what I remember. I'm pretty sure i found it on tigsource but i cant seem to find it there anymore. gameplay-wise it was like fire emblem or FF: Tactics but it was not isometric.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 27, 2016, 07:19:25 pm »

... not isometric in what sense? Top-down, sidescrolling, 3D, etc.?
Ask not!
Ask!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31:31 pm »

... not isometric in what sense? Top-down, sidescrolling, 3D, etc.?

it was 2d top-down pixel art. i remember it was a 1 man project.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 09, 2016, 10:07:32 pm »

Doesn't ring any bells for me, unfortunately. When I think of indie SRPG that folks might have actually encountered I usually start with Telepath Tactics, perhaps, if I don't have a year to use as a starting point. If there's anything you can recall vis a vis gameplay (like, classes, RPG mechanics if they existed, what type of things you fought, that sort of thing) or setting/plot, it might help.

Be interested to see it myself, heh. Just about always on the lookout for that style of game.
Ask not!
Ask!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 10, 2016, 03:09:12 am »

Doesn't ring any bells for me, unfortunately. When I think of indie SRPG that folks might have actually encountered I usually start with Telepath Tactics, perhaps, if I don't have a year to use as a starting point. If there's anything you can recall vis a vis gameplay (like, classes, RPG mechanics if they existed, what type of things you fought, that sort of thing) or setting/plot, it might help.

Be interested to see it myself, heh. Just about always on the lookout for that style of game.

I have actually been playing telepath tactics. that's why was wanting to remember this game. That game though had less graphics from what I remember. It looked a lot like realm of the mad god.

In this game you had a guild wherein you would create characters via purchasing them with your starting gold and then you would compete with other guilds which would give you money. You would then use the money to either purchase equipment or buy a new character for your roster

The equipment you could buy also had innate abilities with them ranging from extra action points to giving you skills that would otherwise be inaccessible by your  class

You play it like on a chessboard map where all your characters are already laid out and you had action points that you would spend for each of your characters whenever their turns started.

there were a fair bit of classes ranging from your typical warriors to wizards. it even had a trapper class (I think it was a bomber class?) where in you would place bombs on tiles where you think the enemy would take to path to you. The priest class had a straight up heal but it also had the ability to summon a tree i think that you could attack and get a lot of HP out of.

I stopped playing it because it wasnt the most balanced game at the time since there was a thief class that basically screwed everyone whenever it was his turn and the bomber class wasnt really dealing that much damage.

It was probably playing it around 1 or 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:15:34 am by em312s0n »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 10, 2016, 11:02:26 am »

Throwing it out there as a wild guess, but you wouldn't be thinking of Age of Decadence? It's not 2.5D, but that sounds like something that could/would happen in there.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit on finding a title that's been somewhat difficult to track down... Indie project, came out a few years ago. Gameplay takes place in this urban/suburban street network, and your job is to drive your character from point A to point B, while listening to them thinking their little thoughts.

Once you reached that character's goal however, you would then start playing as another character in a different car, with their own personality and running monologue, as well as a new goal to reach. The catch here was that the previous character is also present, and is driving the route you first took.

Each completed character gets saved as a replay that plays out concurrently with all the others, so your previous playthroughs become new obstacles as you have to maneuver around all your recorded replays, eventually resulting in a massive chaotic mess of you driving around your previous selves.

Top down/isometric viewpoint, modest 3D graphics. I believe it is/was on Steam, but I can't seem to find it either there or through googling, thanks to the insane mass of car-related games out there.

Sagal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 12, 2016, 04:03:18 am »

It was a browser game where you bought an army and fought cpu enemies and other players. It was WW1 themed if I remember right and you started with a company or so.

Battles were automatic and it was mostly just text (units might have had pictures) and you got money which you could use to upgrade your army. Might have had daily actions limit so you couldn't just spam easy battles all day long.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 204