Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376144 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Your google fu is strong.
Come on, dude. Some people are still using their meat memory! ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I watched most of FF7, but never played any of the Final Fantasy games myself -- so I didn't get some of the basic gameplay concepts of Septera Core.

For example, you get things from stealing or pick-pocketing during combat that you dont get as loot after the combat.  This sort of thing irritated me more than the diablo trope of "the monster just dropped something it wasnt carying -- or was fighting with something it didnt drop" and I eventually got to the point that I was just cheating through the combats to see the end of the story.

Even so, the later parts of the story had you running through a big maze like city with so many random encounters that even auto-killing through them all became so tedious that I just lost interest.

Shame, as I wanted to see the story and learn what happened with that tower if you found all the pigeons, or whatever that side quest was.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

It sure would be nice if, when you outlevel an area, monsters either don't attack (and you don't get whatever cutscene would happen - just a system message saying a monster has fled from your might), or they wait through 2-5 successful encounter checks and all gang up on you at once.

Also you should be able to depopulate an area if you're determined enough like in *that game*.

Being able to steal things that won't drop as loot is always irritating. I felt like they added a "Steal" skill and felt the need to justify it. Personally I think if you can steal an enemy's ammo, he won't be able to use his big attack, or you can steal his potions so he can't heal himself, etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2283 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »

This one I saw my cousin playing while I was little. It was a racing game for PS2. I think it was some kind of sandbox game, but I'm not sure, since I didn't see much of it. I remember it had similar controls to the ATV Offroad Fury games, and you could still do stunts and shit, except you could switch between dirtbikes, trucks, helicopters, stuntplanes, and all manners of absurd vehicles. I remember that in the intro/demo there was a montage of stunts and other things, one of which was a dirtbike jumping into the blades of a (flying) helicopter and getting hit by the blades. Everything else is kind of blocked out by that one mental image because of how funny I thought it was at the time.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: August 03, 2016, 03:29:24 am »

googling seems to hint about this probably being
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_vs._ATV_Unleashed

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:55 pm »

a game where you are a newspaper manager in a Cthulhu-ish setting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: August 05, 2016, 07:57:26 pm »

Google (eldritch newspaper game) seems to think it's Daily Chthonicle.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: August 06, 2016, 03:47:54 am »

Google (eldritch newspaper game) seems to think it's Daily Chthonicle.

yups! TY!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: August 16, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »

Okay this one might be a shot in the dark because my memory of the game is pretty fuzzy.

It was from the 90s, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a DOS game. I remember playing it before Baldur's Gate came out so maybe mid 90s?

It was a fantasy (but maybe not high fantasy - I don't remember there being elves and such) game where you had a party and much of the game took place on the world map. On the world map you could interact with things like cities, if you entered a city something like a textbox would pop up and you would interact with the city that way.

The graphics weren't fancy, it was just sprites on a map if I recall correctly. The sprites had more of a western style, it didn't resemble a jrpg at all.

And that's all I can remember right now.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: August 16, 2016, 01:13:13 pm »

Oh I loved the Heroes of Might and Magic series back in the day. I never played the first but I played the second one a lot!

It isn't the game I'm trying to remember though. This game was more of a straight up rpg, it didn't have the town building or army elements. The party you traveled with was made up of individual characters.

I can't really remember how the combat went, that would probably help a lot. All I remember is that I was really bad at it. :P

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: August 16, 2016, 03:16:48 pm »

Not something like Darklands, right?

https://www.gog.com/game/darklands

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: August 16, 2016, 06:45:41 pm »

Well now I'm not really sure!

It was definitely a low fantasy setting like Darklands. Also the screenshots with the text adventure-like events with painted backdrops seem very familiar.

However I didn't think it was a DOS game, partly because I don't recall messing around to get it to work on windows. And partly because I don't recall it having the DOS-era graphics that Darklands has. All that being said Darklands seems so similar to what I was looking for that it could just be the case that I'm remembering things wrong.

So either it was Darklands, or it was something very similar. I tried looking up games similar to Darklands after reading your reply but it seems to be a one of a kind.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:14 pm »

Ok.. Commodore 64, pre 90s. Simple graphics. Play as a team of two being a short dog and a weird creature with wings. They are separated by puzzle rooms and you can find your way to meet them up, the creature can stand on the dog and move together. Dog is short and fast, creature is kinda bean shaped and has little wings.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:27 pm »

Yes!

I was hung up thinking it was named in a "x 'n y" format.

Cheers. I was reminded of it by an Imgur post of a guy made a game with a fox and dog(?) team.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 204