Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375949 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2130 on: October 31, 2015, 05:46:38 pm »

Ok, here's a game I just thought of. I played it at a friends ages ago, probably late 90s. It was a space game and all I can remember is, there was a large map, and you had to jump using wormholes to respond to attacks at space stations and stuff. The jump itself was kind of a mini game where you had to navigate the path and avoid touching the sides of the wormhole. The better you did, the closer to your exact point you jumped in.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »

heres a tough one, ill be really surprised if anyone gets this... it has been bothering me for quite a while:

i played this game on the ps1. youre an orange (?) blocky line that escapes some sort of prison. you encounter and defeat other enemies by playing a game of pong with them, HINT: youre the pong "bat". as you go on your adventure you discover other pong bats that travel with you. one of them was a big female pong colored like the american flag.

i believe the end of the game has some sort of space battle, but im not sure

in retrospect this game was so dumb but incredibly difficult, i was like 12 when i played it

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: October 31, 2015, 06:02:50 pm »

Ok, here's a game I just thought of. I played it at a friends ages ago, probably late 90s. It was a space game and all I can remember is, there was a large map, and you had to jump using wormholes to respond to attacks at space stations and stuff. The jump itself was kind of a mini game where you had to navigate the path and avoid touching the sides of the wormhole. The better you did, the closer to your exact point you jumped in.
I don't know about the jump minigame, but the rest of it sounds like Allegiance.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: October 31, 2015, 09:44:02 pm »

There was a browser game I used to play, where you build a squad of little soldier guys, and watch them fight other people's squads of little soldier guys. There was also a very difficult optional challenge thing where your soldiers fight rats for some reason.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 02, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »

I don't know about the jump minigame, but the rest of it sounds like Allegiance.
I don't think so, I was at my friends house, pretty sure we were playing single player. Also, there was landing and taking off from stations to re-arm and repair.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 02, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »

There was a browser game I used to play, where you build a squad of little soldier guys, and watch them fight other people's squads of little soldier guys. There was also a very difficult optional challenge thing where your soldiers fight rats for some reason.
Minitroopers.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 02, 2015, 02:23:44 pm »

There was (and is) nothing like (wormhole stuff you described) that in Allegiance, anyways. You just fly to the wormhole and jump and bam you're in the other sector.

Was it a pc or console game?

I don't remember anything like that myself, but there are a bunch of space games on PC I've never played, and if it was a console game, odds are I wouldn't know about it.

(The closest thing I'm remembering is Freelancer with its trade lanes, but those aren't wormholes (it had wormholes too but they were instant travel to another map), and it was easy to stay in the lanes all the way to the end unless there were pirates camped at one of the rings, so I doubt that's it.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:25:29 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 02, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »

There was (and is) nothing like (wormhole stuff you described) that in Allegiance, anyways. You just fly to the wormhole and jump and bam you're in the other sector.

Was it a pc or console game?

I don't remember anything like that myself, but there are a bunch of space games on PC I've never played, and if it was a console game, odds are I wouldn't know about it.

(The closest thing I'm remembering is Freelancer with its trade lanes, but those aren't wormholes (it had wormholes too but they were instant travel to another map), and it was easy to stay in the lanes all the way to the end unless there were pirates camped at one of the rings, so I doubt that's it.)
PC game, definitely not freelancer (love freelancer). Wormhole is sorta misleading I think in that you could do it from where to wherever, so more of a jump drive. Just the flying through a twisting space warp tunnel makes me think wormhole.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 22, 2015, 04:22:35 am »

I have been looking for this game for years.

It's an old arcade game. Circa 1984-1989. Played it when I was a kid.

Side scrolling platformer, with heaps of shooting. You were a random bloke in a robotic suit, with lots of red bits on it. Maybe yellow or green was the rest of it.

No, it's not Oscar.

I do remember a powerup system very similar to Oscar or Sidearms in it. Get thingies, hit button, get that thing. Probably. This may be entirely incorrect, because I think they had Oscar there at some point as well. It might have just had double-jumps. That was the first time I'd ever seen that shit. I was probably 6-8 years old. I thought it was revolutionary at the time. I was right.

I think you might have been able to pick the level you wanted to play at the start. There was a jungle level. With lots of bees in it. You had to kill them all, or they'd waste 20c of yours. Lots of bees, and some jumping stuff (or insta death holes), and probably some vine things that popped out of the ground. Or from the ceiling. Somewhere, possibly.

Think of it as similar to Oscar, but it was zoomed in a little bit. Probably a Konami or Taito arcade game. I've never seen it on consoles. Might have been Namco, but I was pretty young when I played it (1985-1992, at a pool I used to go swimming training at).

I damn well want to beat that game.

It may or may not have had the word Space or X in it's title.

Anyone have the vaguest idea of what old arcade game I'm talking about?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 04:31:55 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 22, 2015, 05:20:07 am »

Found it!

Xain'D sleenA / Solar Warrior / Soldier of Light arcade.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGL127qYF_0

Taito. Telling kids they're too soft to play hard videogames since 1986. Or that there is no way in hell that anything they made back then was possible to beat on one credit. Yes, the player dies repeatedly with MAME cheats turned on in this play-through.

I actually feel a lot better about my childhood skills now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:41:06 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 23, 2015, 04:09:50 pm »

Need some help finding the name of an old game.

Was around 1990~ish on Atari ST or Amiga.
Gameplay was first person with grid based movement, like Dungeon Master or Legend of Grimrock, but instead of a party you only had a single dude.
Setting was SciFi, the surroundings (at least at the beginning of the game) were mostly colored in blue.

There is not much else I remember. I know you picked up a gun from a locker or wall-safe early and that the game was pretty hard (or that might just be me being 7 and incompetent back then)
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:47 pm »

Mines of Titan or Whale's Voyage?  They're the only sci-fi themed dungeon crawls I can think of from that time period.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 23, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »

Its neither of those, but looking for informations about them I accidently stumbled over it.
It was Xenomorph for the Amiga.

Whale's Voyage looks also pretty good, going to add that one to my retro games backlog, thanks.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45:59 pm »

Whale's Voyage is a bit rough around the edges but it's kinda interesting.  Kikoskia did a let's play of it some years back.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:56 am »

Whatever happened to that recent (last few months) rather controversial experimental/art first-person multiplayer game with a global limited life pool? I recall it involved shadowy monsters and a light orb or something, and it should be the kind of thing that shows up easily on a search, but isn't.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 204