Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375927 times)

maxseg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2100 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »

The third one sound like a lot of games in the same genre (elite-like) although the laser thing probably narrows it down. Do you remember the year when you were playing it? Also if it was first or third person?

The second one sound like it some sort of eco-terrorism simulator. I'll be looking forward to fining out what it actually was.

the space one, well i was playing it around .... 2000... yeah, that year. it was bird eye view, like GTA2. i can't remember about graphics tho.... you know, starcraft consumed almost all of my living memories , videogame-wise.

and thanks guys i really appreciate the help

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 30, 2015, 08:31:52 pm »

Since a similar game is mentioned(possibly the same game, who knows), there was a freeware one where you played a captain with a heavy war debt during a war between the government on Earth, and another human faction far away. The game switches from a top-down Elite-like and a first-person point-and-click. It was something like Space Flight, or Star Flight, and it was the fourth game in a series.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

maxseg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 30, 2015, 09:11:10 pm »

Since a similar game is mentioned(possibly the same game, who knows), there was a freeware one where you played a captain with a heavy war debt during a war between the government on Earth, and another human faction far away. The game switches from a top-down Elite-like and a first-person point-and-click. It was something like Space Flight, or Star Flight, and it was the fourth game in a series.

i'm sorry i can't recall much of that game, but what i DO recall is that whenever you started a game, you had to choose a pic/design/symbol for your spaceship. i always chose one that resembled a face/clown... if that is anyhelp

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 31, 2015, 02:35:24 pm »

So there is this game, more than 10 years old certainly, perhaps freeware, with 3 levels, each with completely different gameplay. I used to play this on Win98 but it was old even then.

1st level you build a town and little people come out of their houses radially to power the farms (which look like like red barns) and other buildings. Demons come out of a mountain every now and then, and if they walk through your town your buildings burn, so you have to build guard towers to defend yourself. There is also a fairy village on the map (looks like a forest) but it doesn't do anything.

2nd level is a spell duel (with the leader of the fairies i think), you combine some stuff and you make iceballs and other spells which you hurl at each other.

3rd level you control a dude with a sword at the entrance of Demon Mountain, demons come out and you slash them, there are also some crystals which you have to destroy to get the boss to come out. The view is top-down and the "map" is a single screen. The crystals form a circle and the cave opening is to the right, I think.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 31, 2015, 03:12:37 pm »

The part with building a town and with a guy with a sword reminds me of Actraiser, but that was SNES.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 31, 2015, 05:00:43 pm »

Whatever it is isn't Actraiser, but might be a spiritual sequel.  I hope someone knows because it sounds fun.

My query: Around 2005, I found an indie turn-based strategy game with minimalist art and rules.  Practically a board game with dev art, cheap but effective.  I think it was a hex grid, and it was about territory control.  Holding territory gave you resources to build new level 1 troops (peasants?) or upgrade them into knights and then... lords?  Not sure, but I think there were only 3-4 tiers.

Combat was deterministic but every troop had a maintenance cost, and the top-tier one was exponentially expensive to maintain.  A higher-tier troop would always win, and troops guarded everything adjacent to them.  But it was very possible to be starved of resources and have your troops decay... into forests?  And forests spread fast, clearing them with cheaper units was a major mechanic.

There were also forts which were like upkeep-less mid-tier troops but couldn't move or be upgraded.

It wasn't free, but there was a generous demo.  They had a lot of other strategy games on their site, with demos, but this one was the most fun to me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 31, 2015, 07:14:29 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 31, 2015, 07:23:51 pm »

No, Wesnoth is entirely free last I checked(and will be extremely pissed if it's not), and higher-tier troops do not always win. That really didn't sound like Wesnoth at all.

As for the one I mentioned, it's a series called "Starfight". Not Starflight. Linky to the series... which is mostly dead. 404s everywhere. Did find a download for the sixth game, but it was the fourth fifth game that I did play.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:25:44 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:50 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth?
Thanks but no, much more basic.  Higher-tier troops *always* win.  The game is entirely deterministic, except for the AI.  And you can generally tell what the AI will do next.  It'll kill your troops if you left some vulnerable and it has higher-tier ones to kill with... but it also tries to defend its land from incursions.  Very limited resources (lands) make that a difficult call sometimes.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 02, 2015, 06:47:51 am »

Slay

A long time favourite of mine. Though I wish the AI was better.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:34 am »

Thank you kindly (:
And ooh, there's an Android version now...
She/they

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 06, 2015, 09:43:04 pm »

Looking for an old PC game.
It's a RPG/dungeon-crawler game with a top-down view (think like the Wizardry series but with an Arcanum POV).
I think there was a square grid on which your characters (and the enemies) moved.
I think the setting was medieval fantastic.
I think you had a number of build points/gold to be spent on the whole party at the beginning (thus making you choose between few optimized characters or more non-optimized ones).
I think I remember lots of classes, "witch" maybe being one of the selectable ones.

I don't think I remember much more than that :/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 06, 2015, 10:03:01 pm »

... you wouldn't have a guess for how old "old" is, would you?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 07, 2015, 12:57:56 am »

Don't really know.
I'd say around 2000 as Arcanum, maybe younger. I remember pixelated graphics, though maybe not as much as the Fallouts.
I think the game was more top-down than the 3/4 view of Arcanum and Fallout, and zoomed-out, so it may have helped the graphic part.
Clearly not older than 1995, and I doubt it would be younger than 2005 (though indies...).

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 07, 2015, 06:58:05 am »

If it were purely top-down it could be Helherron.

I think the game was more top-down than the 3/4 view of Arcanum and Fallout, and zoomed-out, so it may have helped the graphic part.
Maybe, older Spiderweb Avernum games?
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 204