Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375650 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #1965 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:15 am »

A very old game. It was 2D and not colorful at all. A strategy game where you would have a bunch of castles/fortresses around a map and I think you had to capture them all or something.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:58 am »

The Ancient Art of War
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 23, 2015, 10:59:50 am »

Castles 2?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:08 pm »

I'd say Lords of the Realm 2 (was addicted back in the day), but it was rather colourful...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 24, 2015, 07:15:52 am »

Yeah, I recall Lords of the Realms as being less-colorful, but looking at pictures now it apparently was fairly vibrant.

Alright, on the topic of RTS games, I got one for y'all to work out...  I'm almost positive it was mid-to-late 90's, potentially very early 00's.  Top-down (mostly) interface, where the most distinctive part of the game is the fact that absolutely everything happened on the water.  You'd have villages (in fixed positions) on the shore to produce your ships, and the occasional monster cave, but all combat and everything was with warships.

Setting was ancient Greece, I'm almost sure of it, and I seem to recall the game being called something with "Alexander", although Googling for that now only seems to bring up the Cossacks spinoff.  Some mythic fantasy elements in that you could go find a cyclops cave or something and shoot at it from the water in order to get it to drop its treasure.

Your economy was based around whaling and I believe amber, although I forget how you got that or if it was just the descriptor of wealth.  You could build different types of warships that all looked very bulky and top-heavy due to the fairly cartoony art style, and I remember there being a button to ram an enemy ship instead of shooting at it.

And...  That's about all I can recall ofhand.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 24, 2015, 08:11:36 am »

No idea, but thanks to you I have learned that Amber Whaling is a thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 24, 2015, 12:34:42 pm »

I believe I've played that too. However, I cannot find the title. I remember once playing the demo from Fileplanet, back before IGN failed. The closed thing I found might be Ancient Conquest.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:15 pm »

Yeah, that does look awfully close...  I wonder if that isn't the one I played, but something about it just seems not *quite* right...  I'unno.

But that is very much the gist of things.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: January 28, 2015, 09:57:24 pm »

I remember seeing this indie-something 3d first person open world dungeon crawling rpg similar to Might and Might or Daggerfall being in the making during 2013 or 2014. It was going to have a huge randomly generated worlds. And no, I'm not talking about heroes of a broken land. I cant remember the name of the project for the life of me. I just remember a kickstarter or something video of the developer talking about the engine and how the huge world would be persistent and randomly generated. Also grass, a lot of grass.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: January 29, 2015, 01:58:10 am »

I remember seeing this indie-something 3d first person open world dungeon crawling rpg similar to Might and Might or Daggerfall being in the making during 2013 or 2014. It was going to have a huge randomly generated worlds. And no, I'm not talking about heroes of a broken land. I cant remember the name of the project for the life of me. I just remember a kickstarter or something video of the developer talking about the engine and how the huge world would be persistent and randomly generated. Also grass, a lot of grass.
Malevolence, perhaps?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:15 pm »

The game I'm looking for is a relatively recent (within the last decade, probably the last 5 years) sci-fi rpg/adventure game. It's set in a far far future where mankind had ascended above physical concerns, but then something broke. Some kind of disaster caused the universe to ... fracture? Like, pockets of spacetime offset from each other, a Schism, or a Breaking... the universe became like a pane of glass full of cracks. There's some special term for this event that I can't remember. Most technology was destroyed or rendered inoperable by the disaster.

Your character lives on a space station of survivors, and you leave on expeditions to explore the various pockets, searching for survivors and relics, making contact with aliens both friendly and hostile. The station itself is explored in a 2-d topdown RPG-maker style game, while in the pockets your ship moves from node to connected node, occasionally dropping into battles with hostile aliens or machine ships (I think the battle screen is turn based, with up to 5 ships per side, and you win by either destroying the other ships, or pushing them off the map by advancing your control zone--but this might be a different game).

Unfortunately I didn't get very far into the game, so I can't describe the plot in great detail.

edit: Found it. I Miss the Sunrise.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:22:32 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 30, 2015, 03:39:20 am »

edit: Found it. I Miss the Sunrise.

That looks pretty amazing for an RPGMaker game.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 31, 2015, 03:34:02 am »

Indeed it is. That's probably why, when I was searching for it originally, I didn't even think to check RPG Maker's games list. But while I was trying to describe it here, I realised it probably was one, and lo and behold, there it was.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #1978 on: February 08, 2015, 10:52:25 pm »

Edit: FINALLY found it. It was Left Field Hotel.

Alright, this might be a bit of an obscure one. This is on the PC, pretty much a small indie game.

It was a top-down roguelike-esque (that is to say, randomly-generated, hard as balls), though with sprites, and it was set in a hotel. You had a sanity meter that went down in the darkness and such (you could turn on TV's, flick on lights etc. to counter it), would make you start attacking yourself when it got low. You could also hold your breath. There was a monster creeping through the hotel, sprite was a shrunk-down version of this here, a full-size version of the pic would show if it caught you and static would appear on the screen.

You could search the rooms and find notes about a murder and such that'd occurred. You could also, if you so desired, break and jump out the windows of the hotel.

I recall it had "Hotel" or "Motel" in the name, it was that and another word or number, i cannot for the life of me remember what it is. I'm fairly certain i found it here in Other Games, but i did a quick search and couldn't find where it was linked.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:40:05 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 08, 2015, 11:01:49 pm »

Crime Time was an old DOS game that involved a murder in a hotel, but it has no sanity meter and it is a basically a point and click adventure game.

Searching through Mobygames there are a number of games with Hotel in the title, but none seem to be what you are describing.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 204