Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375697 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Wondering what the name of this was.... An Xbox (360? probably not) game, released around 2004-2006'ish vaguely similar to Total War, but in a fantasy setting. There were humans, dark elves and orcs as the different races. Unit movement was very Medieval:TW like, but you would go into 3rd person combat if your unit fought another. Dark elves healed while in trees, burning trees down with fire-arrows was the major strategy to defeat them. Humans were armoured chargers and orcs were *something*...... 3rd person combat was pretty standard button mashing, but looked fairly cool due to the large numbers of troops on each side during unit combats. Very scripted missions. Probably single-player only.

There was a levelling system, RPG'ish style, and some side characters you had got magic (from memory lightning bolt ate armoured units and champions).

There may have been a bit of town building/upgrading, but more as a between-mission upgrade path. The game probably came out around the same time as Jade Empire if that helps (but it might not have). Can't remember (or find) the name of it for the life of me. Sort of an end-of-Xbox era gem that a mate of mine owned. May have gotten a (or planned to have, but cancelled) sequel. Think it was a two-part name. "Blahdy-blah: War of blahs" or something (I could be very wrong on this).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:46:00 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warhammer: Battle March?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope, but I found it. Kingdom under Fire: Heroes and Kingdom under Fire: Crusaders. Yay roundabout google seaching :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile

Uhh there was this hexagonal roguelike where you could make your own spells. There was a thread on it here a while ago, what is it called? I forgot..
Hexagon Wizard?

I thought it was called something something insanity. Ah! Vapors of Insanity!
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off topic, but it turns out there's a Kingdom under Fire II that's going to be released. Strangely enough, there's also "ingame, highly edited" footage from 2008-2009. Even more strangely, it looks better than the '13-14 footage available from alpha/beta testers currently.

Hopefully with that amount of time in development it'll be good.

edit: I'll have to see what it's actually like, but godammit. I think they made it like Dynasty Warriors. Dynasty Warriors-lite even. Damn it. That's exactly the worst way they could have taken it (because, you know, basic strategy and that). Probably good that there doesn't seem to be constant QTE quick-kills, but very bad that any form of strategy is irrelevant and gets Dynasty/Samurai Warriors level of importance for any other troops on the field but you. Uuuurrrrggggghhhhhh. It was looking like a good idea. I never should have asked the name of it. Now the sequel has bummed me out........
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:15:04 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

This one is driving me insane, and I can't dig it up by google.

The era was late Win98ish, I think. (Could be early XP.) It was a three-dimensional fantasy flight combat game, with the usual thin premise of a story of a tournament. There were several types of characters to play, though you could only play as dragons initially. Most of the missions were simple deathmatch, were some CTF(maybe) and definitely some tag (as in the child's game, not tag-team) missions. There were munitions and magics, the least spell for dragons being simple dragonsbreath, gradually consuming your magic. You could buy additional weapons (each variety of combatant had six) and upgrade their power.

You could get a loan from a loan shark, as the bottom option on the menu of about 5.

The dragon-riders were the average characters of the bunch. There were the dwarves (may misname other factions) who flew about in slow but heavily-armored dirigibles, with more tech-based weapons, and gnomes who flew about on fragile swans/geese that had powerful magic.

Anyone? Heeelp?
I am informed it was "Flying Heroes".  Huzzah.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

What game is this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game suddenly popped into my head and I have no idea where to find it, here's a (vague, sorry!) description:

This is a somewhat DF-like game. I believe you control a dungeon, and humans come in waves to attack. You mainly control a wizard/sorcerer, and if this character dies the game is over. I think you could summon golems of sorts, and goblins/imps were the tier 1-ish troops. I think you may have been able to build rooms which allowed you to create better troops as well.

I remember people on the board complaining about how sometimes the knights/lords seem impossible to kill, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

That would be the dungeon keeper roguelike, yes. Forum thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

A mod for a game like doom or similar that converts it into a linear RPG-shooter thing where the overarching plot involved collecting fragments of a weapon that became more and more powerful as you beat the bosses and got the rest of the pieces.
Then some stuff about an organisation that betrays you as well.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Strife?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Strife?
Yup, thanks.
Quick work finding it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not a game per se, but I remember there was this little app for Windows that generated "random japanese-rpg style music", I believe the app itself was japanese or chinese or whatever so it had localized menus.

Of course almost all musics followed the same pattern, was more a stitch work of presets with random instruments.

I'm just going to answer myself, I seem to have hit upon the right combination of words in Google and found...

Melody Raiser!

Kinda silly little app and the songs are very formulaic. But that's like 95% of JRPG music right there.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 204