Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375951 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2010, 11:22:15 am »

Okay, I'm trying to find an old PC game. You play as a guy who's uncle died or something, and you go to where he died and start mining. There's around ten stages or so, and each stage is one screen large. You'd be jackhammering your way through the ground looking for valuable minerals and the like, and could buy upgrades from this store guy. You couldn't just tunnel your way around carelessly, though, because occasionally you'll run into a tile of gas or water and you'd have to hoof it. And if you tunnel around too much the mine would collapse on you, but to stave this off you could erect supports for no cost. Once you'd gotten enough cash you could either keep mining or go to the store guy and tell him to pack up and proceed to the next level. Supplies would cost more each level, and when you get to the deeper levels you need to buy stuff like oxygen packs and so forth. Eventually you'd run into bedrock that you'd have to dig around, among other things, and you'd have to avoid dangerous animals and the like.

I know I couldn't be the only one to have played this. The first person to find it gets an E-hug.

Probably not the game you are talking about, but try http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/motherload
Only a simple mind can be certain.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2010, 11:23:15 pm »

Okay, I'm trying to find an old PC game. You play as a guy who's uncle died or something, and you go to where he died and start mining. There's around ten stages or so, and each stage is one screen large. You'd be jackhammering your way through the ground looking for valuable minerals and the like, and could buy upgrades from this store guy. You couldn't just tunnel your way around carelessly, though, because occasionally you'll run into a tile of gas or water and you'd have to hoof it. And if you tunnel around too much the mine would collapse on you, but to stave this off you could erect supports for no cost. Once you'd gotten enough cash you could either keep mining or go to the store guy and tell him to pack up and proceed to the next level. Supplies would cost more each level, and when you get to the deeper levels you need to buy stuff like oxygen packs and so forth. Eventually you'd run into bedrock that you'd have to dig around, among other things, and you'd have to avoid dangerous animals and the like.

I know I couldn't be the only one to have played this. The first person to find it gets an E-hug.

Probably not the game you are talking about, but try http://www.xgenstudios.com/play/motherload

Awesome game is awesome. I played this forevers a long time ago.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2010, 06:11:12 pm »

Xotes, the game you want I believe is Minerva. I've not read the rest of the thread, but that might be it.

Edit: It's Dos MinerVGA and not minerva. Sorries.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:14:15 pm by Kayla »

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »

I'm trying to remember a game where you would start off with an empty sandbx, and be able to build mazes with walls etc. and spawn robots.
     You would then train these robots to go to a desired location where you would put a flag. You could also train them to fight enemies. You could train them to surround the enemies, or just run away/dodge the fire.
     If you saw a robot that was doing more or less what you want the robots to do better than the others, you could do something where all robots except for that robot are terminated, and all of the 'skills' that the selected robot has would be generated into another wave of your own robots... AI evolution was the objective of the game... I always thought it was called Nova, but i had no luck finding it. any ideas much appreciated.

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:58 am »

Don't mean to cut of cartmann's question, but can I ask about a non-video game? OK, I'm going to so yell at me if not.  :) It was a table-top game with a pretty big plastic castle you assemble on one side of the board. On the other side were four cardboard walls that fit together to make nine seperate rooms, divided by little plastic doors and revolving picture secret passages. One player had to be the "dungeon master"-like role, which involved a mace that fit in the top of the castle (used to determine turn order). You set monsters and treasure in the rooms, and adventurers could get items from them which fit into the character's base (a potion, fire bomb, and wing boots). I've looked a lot of places for it and can't find any mention, pretty sure mace was in the title somewhere, but not entirely. I had it as a kid which would be late 80s early 90s. Thanks!  ;D

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2010, 01:10:03 am »

Cartmann, The game you're looking for is Nero here at http://z.cs.utexas.edu/users/nn/nero/index.php

Edit: Seems the last version was 07, the newest seems to be an open source version at http://code.google.com/p/opennero/
- Kayla
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:16:53 am by Kayla »

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2010, 01:36:20 pm »

Cartmann, The game you're looking for is Nero here at http://z.cs.utexas.edu/users/nn/nero/index.php

Edit: Seems the last version was 07, the newest seems to be an open source version at http://code.google.com/p/opennero/
- Kayla

Thanks alot for the response, Kayla

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2010, 02:30:17 pm »

I have two that I played on an emulator for the (mac?) a while back.

One you were at a Ski resort, all the commands were text, so you had to type in "push button" in the elevator to make it go. You could win really fast if you knew what you were doing, by waiting in a room until a girl comes in, and then ask her the right questions.

The next I am less sure about:
You were a boy who had to collect (apples?). It was a third person point of view, and I'm pretty sure it was tile based. I think there were also (robots?) who chased after you, and (stole your apples? killed you?)

Thanks in advanced.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Pathos

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2010, 01:25:29 am »

I remember a game where you played as a group of aliens and fought against other aliens in some giant brood war kind of thing. That's pretty much all I can remember about the gameplay.

The thing that made the game special was how you could replace the base design of your aliens by changing their limbs around and giving them different weapons / movement parts.

Not got a clue what it was called.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:48 am »

I remember a game where you played as a group of aliens and fought against other aliens in some giant brood war kind of thing. That's pretty much all I can remember about the gameplay.

The thing that made the game special was how you could replace the base design of your aliens by changing their limbs around and giving them different weapons / movement parts.

Not got a clue what it was called.

Only thing that comes to mind right now is WarBreeds

...Which, by the way, was awesome.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »

That one game where you try to find the center of two diminutional shapes with your mouse, and the game gives your accuracy at the end. I can't remember the name or where it is on the internet.
http://woodgears.ca/eyeball/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:09:48 am by winner »
The great game of Warlocks!

dwr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2010, 01:58:47 am »

Old DOS game. Fantasy setting with 4 worlds, you'd have an army and you'd go around taking over various castles. If you didn't leave an occupying force in a castle, it would get taken over by monsters. Combat was square grid, and ghosts were dangerous, as if you killed too many people in a fight, they'd get too big and you'd lose control of them.

ETA: it came out around the same time as the original Pirates game, 94-95 at the latest.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:32:48 am by dwr »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

Master of Magic perhaps?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

dwr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »

Nope. Grid was standard square, not isometric.

Pathos

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »

Only thing that comes to mind right now is WarBreeds

...Which, by the way, was awesome.

That was it! Man, that game was so awesome.

It was ridiculous. It's really dated now, but I'd play a game like that to death if it was rereleased.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 204