Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375445 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #1425 on: September 10, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

Okay, maybe some of the old folks can help me out here.

ASCII game.  I remember having the game on a 5.25 floppy, although it wasn't the original disk as it had a number of other games that I got from my uncle.  So I would have been playing this in the mid-ish 80s.

Seemed like it possibly would have been an adventure-like game, as you always started in the same room with the same description.  I remember I could never get very far, because as soon as I'd wandered out past the few starting rooms in any direction and encountered something else living, it would run over to me and kill me and I didn't know how to fight. 

I think I remember being able to find a chalice very near the start, and there may have been a fountain and a kitchen nearby as well.  I'm guessing the game took place in a castle?  I *think* it might have displayed what objects/npcs were in the room on the side of the screen in some format like "a - an ant" or similar. 

It wasn't turn based, as when I entered a room with an npc, it would run over to me rather quickly and kill me.

Angband, Nethack?

Try this list or maybe this list even.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 10, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »

Okay, maybe some of the old folks can help me out here.

ASCII game.  I remember having the game on a 5.25 floppy, although it wasn't the original disk as it had a number of other games that I got from my uncle.  So I would have been playing this in the mid-ish 80s.

Seemed like it possibly would have been an adventure-like game, as you always started in the same room with the same description.  I remember I could never get very far, because as soon as I'd wandered out past the few starting rooms in any direction and encountered something else living, it would run over to me and kill me and I didn't know how to fight. 

I think I remember being able to find a chalice very near the start, and there may have been a fountain and a kitchen nearby as well.  I'm guessing the game took place in a castle?  I *think* it might have displayed what objects/npcs were in the room on the side of the screen in some format like "a - an ant" or similar. 

It wasn't turn based, as when I entered a room with an npc, it would run over to me rather quickly and kill me.

Angband, Nethack?

Try this list or maybe this list even.
No, Angband is too new, and Nethack is too complicated.  It really wasn't a rogue-like at all, more of an adventure game. 

Ahh, nevermind, I found it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 11, 2013, 09:25:24 pm »

It was a MUD I stumbled on a while ago that has a monthly-subscription based MUD (which was weird and why I remembered it). It was very role-play oriented, if I recall correctly, and also took place all within a single castle or fortress or something like that. Ringing any bells?

EDIT: Found it, http://www.skotos.net/games/marrach/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:27:45 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

aireoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 27, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »

This is bugging me. Top down 90's game (dos I believe).

Two player on the PC. You hired mercenaries (mage, ranger, warrior, cleric, knights and other) and upgraded them with gold. each had special abilities. Your team could be as large as you wanted, and you could switch between them, I also believe your team was always red.

Maps usually had hidden items that you needed to use specials to access (usually the mage's teleport).

There was a plot, but I can't remember it, first mission I believe you had to escape the enemy castle.
I don't post much, but the forums I'm even slightly active in I have a huge passion for.

In regards to DF, I've been playing for almost 8 years, since the earliest of editions, love this game.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 27, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »

this is an incredibly long shot but fuck it let's give it a try

so bay12, there's a game for the gameboy advance i remember! faintly. very faintly so. i didn't even play it much and would like to get back to that so yeah

you were the prince of a kingdom, then your father dies mysteriously, there's a kingdom fucking shit up far far east and boom you're the king now whoopiededoo

except that you don't take up the sword and fuck off to adventure like in your average rpg but instead you've got a throne room where you get to buy shit like better weapons for your troops or research tactics, i remember the second-or-so mission best where you were slowly get systematically led into a trap by some woodsmen who were pissed about taxes (i think) and slowly lured your army into a curbstomp shitstorm with suicide bears blowing up your retinue at the end of a set of three battles of increasing difficulty

i'd be able to tell you more if i hadn't played it in original japanese and therefore been able to understand more than i did from poking around in the game mechanics. the prince part was told to me at some point on a bbs or something

i'm fairly sure i'd be able to recognize the graphics if someone pulled up a throne room screenshot or a battle screenshot so if you get any idea from this fire at will

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:33 pm »

this is an incredibly long shot but fuck it let's give it a try

so bay12, there's a game for the gameboy advance i remember! faintly. very faintly so. i didn't even play it much and would like to get back to that so yeah

you were the prince of a kingdom, then your father dies mysteriously, there's a kingdom fucking shit up far far east and boom you're the king now whoopiededoo

except that you don't take up the sword and fuck off to adventure like in your average rpg but instead you've got a throne room where you get to buy shit like better weapons for your troops or research tactics, i remember the second-or-so mission best where you were slowly get systematically led into a trap by some woodsmen who were pissed about taxes (i think) and slowly lured your army into a curbstomp shitstorm with suicide bears blowing up your retinue at the end of a set of three battles of increasing difficulty

i'd be able to tell you more if i hadn't played it in original japanese and therefore been able to understand more than i did from poking around in the game mechanics. the prince part was told to me at some point on a bbs or something

i'm fairly sure i'd be able to recognize the graphics if someone pulled up a throne room screenshot or a battle screenshot so if you get any idea from this fire at will
Huh. I've played uncountable GBA games, but that one doesn't ring a teeniest tiniest bell. Let's see if I maybe have it the archive here...

...aand nope. In my infinite wisdom, I didn't keep any game that only exists in Japanese.

Googling for clues doesn't help either. :\

How pretty were the graphics in general? What can you remember of the combat? Turn-based, grid, animations?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:44 pm »

This is bugging me. Top down 90's game (dos I believe).

Two player on the PC. You hired mercenaries (mage, ranger, warrior, cleric, knights and other) and upgraded them with gold. each had special abilities. Your team could be as large as you wanted, and you could switch between them, I also believe your team was always red.

Maps usually had hidden items that you needed to use specials to access (usually the mage's teleport).

There was a plot, but I can't remember it, first mission I believe you had to escape the enemy castle.

Sounds a bit like Gladiator. There's an open-source port called OpenGlad: http://snowstorm.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/site.cgi?page=openglad
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 27, 2013, 02:17:54 pm »

i'd compare the regular character sprites to breath of fire or lufia were i to pick anything. the backgrounds were... fairly nondescript. standard jrpg fare i guess.

combat was turn-based, there wasn't a grid (or it looked like there wasn't any) - it was a set of skirmishes with your troops dumped on the left side of the field and the enemy on the right side, you picked what they were meant to do (retreat, throw things, fight in x manner, etc.), then they did so. i cannot remember if the troops went back to their respective sides at turn's end or the time stopped while you were issuing new orders, but i'm leaning towards the former. if it helps, the units involved were significantly smaller than the sprites you had normally (about three fourths)

i've got nothing on animation though. no siree.

thanks for taking time to try and figure this out by the way

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »

... if it wasn't ever released in english, you might check this list. Just skim through the pics until something rings a bell. Judging by the sound of it, it's either under strategy or RPG... maybe simulation. Filter by release region and you've got better odds of stumbling across it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 27, 2013, 02:57:39 pm »

Well, the description makes me suspect a game by KOEI, so maybe one of the historical games there? Like one of the "San Goku Shi" games (i.e. "Romance of the Three Kingdoms").

...though maybe not.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 27, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »

skimmed all the images gamefaqs had to offer on strategy/rpg/simulation in japanese releases and i've got nothing

it couldn't have been koei as everything was top-down and you didn't control the units directly (hell you weren't even represented as an unit in combat), though it seems that if this list doesn't have such a thing it's a waste of time to look for it

thanks for the help either way, i found some titles that might still need looking into sometime

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 28, 2013, 12:12:08 pm »

A 2D anime-esque collect-a-thon game involving time-traveling aliens and saving your girlfriend.
I remember that the main character had an orange T-shirt, green jeans and red hair.

There were 4 chapters - Forest, Egypt, Castle and a Spaceship.

It also had a nifty saving system involving arrangements of pictures in a specific order, unique to each level.

Help?
It had a demo consisting of the first chapter.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:35 pm »

A game where you control a race of colored (Clay?) blobs in human form to attack differently colored blobs.

Things I remember.
1:one of the maps had a guardian for each base that instakilled blobs.
2: Weapons
 -Straw to make more units out of corpses
 -gloves
 - baseball bat
3: The blobs you controlled were VERY dumb.
Crack-a-lack-a

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 28, 2013, 07:13:53 pm »

A game where you control a race of colored (Clay?) blobs in human form to attack differently colored blobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruntz

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 28, 2013, 07:14:46 pm »

Thanks
Crack-a-lack-a
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 204