Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire resistant creatures  (Read 1053 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Fire resistant creatures
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:49:36 pm »

Basically I have created a new creature called the Dracans. I wish for them to be fire resistant, however not resistant to Dragon's Breath.  The only problem though is I only know the temp for lava and not for fire. Anyone willing to help?

creature file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

entity file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:15:11 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire resistant creatures
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:06:37 pm »

you've already made them fire immune with [FIREIMMUNE], no?. This tag does not protect against dragons breath, you need [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] for that.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »

well perhaps I went overboard then. I know they are not fire immune super. I wish it that way. However I think I went overboard with the temps then. Do I need those temps in there to protect from fire or will the fire immune do it itself?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:53 pm »

Give them [IGNITE_POINT:11000].  That should protect against firemen (temp 10800 IIRC).  It should not protect against magma (somewhere in the 12k-13k range), creatures with magma-level body temperature (e.g. fire imps that have been sitting in magma for a while), or spirits of fire (25000).  I suspect it won't protect against dragons either.  Dragon breath is hot enough to set things on fire, whereas fire imp breath never actually seems to ignite anything (the fire imp's body, however, often starts wildfires).

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »

Thanks that's what I was looking for.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:44:29 pm »

Give them [IGNITE_POINT:11000].  That should protect against firemen (temp 10800 IIRC).  It should not protect against magma (somewhere in the 12k-13k range), creatures with magma-level body temperature (e.g. fire imps that have been sitting in magma for a while), or spirits of fire (25000).  I suspect it won't protect against dragons either.  Dragon breath is hot enough to set things on fire, whereas fire imp breath never actually seems to ignite anything (the fire imp's body, however, often starts wildfires).

Imps have a [HOMEOTHERM:10095] which is not high enough to ignite anything. It's the fireballs that set alight to the environment (typically the imps chasing wildlife).

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:21:25 am »

Forgot one thing actually, I was also trying to make sure that they didn't path into lava. I think I achieved this by removing the fire immune tag while also putting the ignite point to the one specified above.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »

Forgot one thing actually, I was also trying to make sure that they didn't path into lava. I think I achieved this by removing the fire immune tag while also putting the ignite point to the one specified above.

They are not your fortress race then, I assume? Fortress races will never path into 'dangerous terrain' such as lava/water, even if they are technically immune to it.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:23 pm »

They pathed into it. Kinda annoying when you have them building magma forges and they decide to take a swim in the magma and promptly drown.  They have stopped pathing into it now though, not sure if they are immune to fire as of yet though.

I'll update the first post so that you can see the original entity and create files. You are right partly, they won't path into it with just the ignite tag. I have had them path into, or attempt to, with just the fire immune tag. It was not until I added in the heatdam, ignite and other various heat tags that they stopped saying dangerous terrain.