Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping Children Inside?  (Read 528 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping Children Inside?
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:57:18 pm »

I've just had the message that a snatcher has made off with one of my children. I know he was outside, as every other entrace to my fort is either through my barracks or the main door, which is chock full of haulers at the moment.

I want to know if there's a way I can stop children doing anything outside, to avoid this problem/having to have permanent military patrols going around.

Thanks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Children Inside?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:51 pm »

They tend to hang around meeting zones. I got this once when I had a meeting zone at my entrance.

Just don't set meeting areas too close to the entrance and put some guards and maybe chained wardogs nearby.

Also, putting some cage traps at your entranceway should catch any snatchers.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:39 pm »

Lock them up somewhere with food and booze.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:13:01 pm »

They tend to hang around meeting zones. I got this once when I had a meeting zone at my entrance.

Just don't set meeting areas too close to the entrance and put some guards and maybe chained wardogs nearby.

Also, putting some cage traps at your entranceway should catch any snatchers.

The problem was that my child was out hauling blocks to my shiney new Glass road, on his own, at which point he got snatched. I guess ill just have to keep patrols running round, ah well

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:34 pm »

That shouldn't happen, the hauling blocks to the road, I think anyways. Normally the mason does it, but I've noticed that children will do adult jobs sometimes when I use Dwarf Manager to mass designate job tasks. I think I got a child legendary mason in this way after a mood struck the kid.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:48 pm »

Assign dogs to them. Wardogs are tougher, but if they have any Agility then they'll have a hard time keeping up. (Do I remember reading that hunting dogs are faster? Dunno.)