Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh boy. Well, I found the underground river!  (Read 889 times)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh boy. Well, I found the underground river!
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:12:01 am »

Ummm....I couldn't figure out why I kept getting cancelled mining jobs from wet stone in my search for magnetite, so I decided to dig up to see what up.

There was an underground river....

How screwed am I and what do I do to be unscrewed?

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6010-lancerdeep

Thanks...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh boy. Well, I found the underground river!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:19 am »

Ummm....I couldn't figure out why I kept getting cancelled mining jobs from wet stone in my search for magnetite, so I decided to dig up to see what up...

Didn't need to read further nor look at your link - you're screwed.  The only good news is that, on a scale of 1-10, it's only about a 6 or so.

That will keep draining, filling anything lower that it can reach, and welling up to an equal level.  Anything higher, or not connected by tunnels, should be safe.

You have to build doors/hatches/walls asap to stop it. Dwarfs won't work in any water that's deeper than 1/7.

And read the wiki on "aquifer". That topic is a bit broader.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:39:43 am »

Well the thing is, the river is like 8 z levels up the mountain, and the water will path down straight down in front of my door. Its too late to build anything in the tunnel (it filled up instantly!)

Also, the hole into the tunnel from the river is directly under the waterfall.

so yeah...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:11 am »

Well, river or aquifer, it's the same headache.

You don't "dig up" into something that's leaking.  Or "warm stone", before you do that either.  ;)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:58:45 am »

Rule of thumb: if you get a "wet stone" notification, and there isn't a murky pool above you...for the love of armok, stop digging until you find out *WHAT* caused that notification! Preferably by digging from ABOVE.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:00:11 am »

I did it on a "Whats the worse that can happen" basis. I was way up in a mountain, with little chance of flooding my fort (or so I thought). Now its cascading down 5 tiles to the left of my door. Well, thoughtfulness is the enemy of FUN anyways, right? ;D

I've locked my dwarves indoors...

Also, this is killing my framerate...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:14:58 am »

You may be able to use pumps to empty a section of your tunnel faster than it can fill in with water then build a wall (similar to how you use pumps to dig through an aquifer, see wiki).

You may also be able to dig a new exit for the tunnel (say a two or three wide tunnel coming in on the side of the main shaft, closer to the source is better) perhaps on a lower level depending on how clever you can get with channeling (think tapping a magma pipe). Make sure this new exit tunnel has Floodgates in it before you start dumping water down it (the closer to the source the better). This should divert enough water away from the main tunnel allowing you to build a wall across the old tunnel exit and then close the flood gates in the new tunnel.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:21 am »

I've decided to cave in above the tunnel and block the water that way. I'm currently digging an above ground level alternate exit so my miners can get up there.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:34:04 am »

? - will that work?

I thought a cave-in merely "destroyed the water" that was below it, but would not 'block" anything in this respect.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:15 am »

there are 2 z levels of rock above a mined out spot ambove a one tile wide tunnel. I cave in the 2z levels of rock, they crash through the floor and block the tunnel.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:43 am »

yay it worked. Now I wait for the water to settle and my fps to rise and I'm good to go. Also, my glass maker got taken by a fey mood!

Masterwork glass statues everywhere!

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:57:43 am »

yay it worked. Now I wait for the water to settle and my fps to rise and I'm good to go. Also, my glass maker got taken by a fey mood!

incase anyone was wondering, its Atol Ramtek, "the truth of execution" a green glass hatchcover.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:24 am »

incase anyone was wondering, its Atol Ramtek, "the truth of execution" a green glass hatchcover.

;D Place it as the entrance to a noble drowning chamber!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 07:16:30 am »

That's an awesome idea...I'll start on it now. Of course it will have to use the runoff from the mine of death. And I still have a captured orc from the last (and first) siege. And the thing is encircled with bands of orc bones and rings of orc bones. It seems fitting that he will be the first victim. Maybe I can even make it an arena. It will have several pressure plates on the bottom, all of them connected to the hatch. The competitors will fight. Whether they win or lose, they will die. It is the truth of execution.

Of course, nobles can join in on the fun  :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 07:23:46 am »

You're incredibly lucky you survived digging into a pressurised underground river; those are incredibly dangerous due to the speed at which they flood.

But yeah, digging up into a damp stone warning? Not so smart.