Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I was reading up on norse myths, and when it came to the dwarves...  (Read 3135 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile

"The gods found nothing could bind the wolf, until they received a magical silk ribbon called Gleipnir, created by dwarfs. This ribbon was made of noise of a cat, beard of woman, breath of a fish and spittle of a bird."

cat, bearded woman, carp and giant eagle.

Dwarf fortress existed thousands of years ago.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It all makes so much sense.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile

That's fantastic.

Now get that to display in an engraving.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

THATS WHAT RAGNAROK IS

ONE GIANT TANTRUM SPIRAL

complete with "fuck the world" levers and caged elephants
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

This ribbon was made of noise of a cat, beard of woman, breath of a fish and spittle of a bird.
I'm pretty sure that would have translated more properly to "the stomping of a cat", or something along those lines. then again that dosn't rhythm as well I guess...

Anyway, I find it inspiring (sort of in the same way it is inspiring you can make gold from lead in a particle accelerator) that all those materials can actually be collected today. You just need a really fat cat and an audio record device, bearded females aren't that rare, lungfish are held as pets, and while I don't know of any spiting bird, I'm sure finding one wouldn't be to hard.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile

spittle of a lizard-bird maybe?  ;)
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Frogeyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a Cat Noise ribbon. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of beard of woman. It is adorned with hanging rings of spittle of a bird. On the item is an image of a Cat Noise ribbon in breath of a fish.

Yeah, that sounds pretty dwarfy.

Frogeyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and there are swallows that build nests out of saliva.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Missed a couple ingredients:

The sound of a cat's footfall
The beard of a woman
The roots of a mountain
The sinews of a bear
The breath of a fish
The spittle of a bird

I've heard "sinews" really means "sensibility" for the bear. Somehow.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile

Someone mod in some smelter reactions!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard "sinews" really means "sensibility" for the bear. Somehow.

I'm REALLY rusty on my Norse Mythology...but in anatomy, sinew is another word for tendon, as in the fibers that connects muscle to bone.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile

I'd tend to agree with the 'sensibility of a bear' interpretation as that maintains the "intangibility" theme that's clearly present through the rest of the ingredients.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

"The gods found nothing could bind the wolf, until they received a magical silk ribbon called Gleipnir, created by dwarfs. This ribbon was made of noise of a cat, beard of woman, breath of a fish and spittle of a bird."

cat, bearded woman, carp and giant eagle.

Dwarf fortress existed thousands of years ago.
So wait... Let me get this straight: They created a silk ribbon without using any actual silk??

Somebody was screwing with the raws again. Maybe they didn't have silk at their location, and didn't want to lose a dwarf to a mood?

Hmm... This revelation also explains why there are no elves in the world now.

It also explains another mystery! The lost city of Atlantis! It must have been a dwarven city, which due to epic planning failure was flooded and had to be abandoned! From the Atlantis wiki page:  'Atlantis sank into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune".'
Another statement from the wiki: "The eldest of these, Atlas, was made rightful king of the entire island and the ocean (called the Atlantic Ocean in his honor), and was given the mountain of his birth and the surrounding area as his fiefdom." So, the king of the island of Atlantis was born in a mountain? DWARF!
"The Atlanteans then built bridges northward from the mountain, making a route to the rest of the island. They dug a great canal to the sea, and alongside the bridges carved tunnels into the rings of rock so that ships could pass into the city around the mountain; they carved docks from the rock walls of the moats. Every passage to the city was guarded by gates and towers, and a wall surrounded each of the city's rings. The walls were constructed of red, white and black rock quarried from the moats, and were covered with brass, tin and the precious metal orichalcum, respectively." With all those megaprojects going on, no wonder they flooded the city.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:47:57 pm by alway »
Pages: [1] 2