Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So I was reading up on norse myths, and when it came to the dwarves...  (Read 3137 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It also explains another mystery! The lost city of Atlantis! It must have been a dwarven city, which due to epic planning failure was flooded and had to be abandoned! From the Atlantis wiki page:  'Atlantis sank into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune".'
Another statement from the wiki: "The eldest of these, Atlas, was made rightful king of the entire island and the ocean (called the Atlantic Ocean in his honor), and was given the mountain of his birth and the surrounding area as his fiefdom." So, the king of the island of Atlantis was born in a mountain? DWARF!
"The Atlanteans then built bridges northward from the mountain, making a route to the rest of the island. They dug a great canal to the sea, and alongside the bridges carved tunnels into the rings of rock so that ships could pass into the city around the mountain; they carved docks from the rock walls of the moats. Every passage to the city was guarded by gates and towers, and a wall surrounded each of the city's rings. The walls were constructed of red, white and black rock quarried from the moats, and were covered with brass, tin and the precious metal orichalcum, respectively." With all those megaprojects going on, no wonder they flooded the city.

But it says sink, not flood.  They had to build a HUGE water tower, screw pump the water up there from an unlimited supply, and sink everything beneath the now pressurized water...and they had to have built walls around the edge of the map, too, so the water actually sank them...  It's dwarfy enough to be realistic!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Or, they accidentally pulled the lever linked to the sole support under the island instead of the "open the front gate" lever.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.

Where do you get orichalcum anyway?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You smelt it.  Plato says the Atlantians used and loved the stuff.  It translates to 'copper mountain' or 'bronze mountain'...the Romans thought it was literally a gold/copper alloy...or a gold/tin alloy...or a gold/zinc alloy...or something else...like copper...  In any case, whatever it is, so long as it isn't wholly unique, we already have the components to smelt it.

Doombell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I don't know where they got "ribbon" from. All the versions I've read it's been a chain, albeit a very thin one, more like a necklace. And I believe the bear sinews may have been because they needed something tangible and tough to apply all the other things to. I'll check my bookshelf.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is all too good to be true.

It must all be true.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

You smelt it.  Plato says the Atlantians used and loved the stuff.  It translates to 'copper mountain' or 'bronze mountain'...the Romans thought it was literally a gold/copper alloy...or a gold/tin alloy...or a gold/zinc alloy...or something else...like copper...  In any case, whatever it is, so long as it isn't wholly unique, we already have the components to smelt it.
According to the wiki article on it, there are various materials it could have been made of, but almost all possibilities involved a gold and something alloy. In addition to the things you mentioned, one other possibility it said was gold/silver alloy.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile

I'm going to say it was a gold and booze alloy; two of the most important things a dwarf could own.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

"The gods found nothing could bind the wolf, until they received a magical silk ribbon called Gleipnir, created by dwarfs. This ribbon was made of noise of a cat, beard of woman, breath of a fish and spittle of a bird."

cat, bearded woman, carp and giant eagle.

Dwarf fortress existed thousands of years ago.
So wait... Let me get this straight: They created a silk ribbon without using any actual silk??

Somebody was screwing with the raws again. Maybe they didn't have silk at their location, and didn't want to lose a dwarf to a mood?

Well, from what Ive heard it wasn't a silk ribbon but a chain.. But I could be wrong..

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard both ribbon and chain, but I've always loved the image of a ribbon. Fenrir just keeps breaking all these heavy metal chains they put on him, but then they tie him up with a pretty pink ribbon and he can't do anything about it and is so pissed off.

Norse mythology is basically the coolest thing, well, ever. They have a freaking ship made out of toenails for cryin' out loud.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know where they got "ribbon" from. All the versions I've read it's been a chain, albeit a very thin one, more like a necklace. And I believe the bear sinews may have been because they needed something tangible and tough to apply all the other things to. I'll check my bookshelf.
Well looking through my encyclopedia of mythology book it says its a chain called Gleipnir but doesn't go into detail about what its made of besides saying two of the componets were roots of the mountain (think about it, restraining something with the roots of a mountain makes sense metaforicly) and birds spittle.
Pages: 1 [2]