Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Siege? Where?  (Read 1046 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Siege? Where?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »

(Related by subject title, at least.)

Force them? What, like hypnotize them? No.

If you can't seal them in, they're gonna show you asses and elbows.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 01:57:07 pm »

The reason they run is because they're smart enough to realise a squad at 1/4 strength will not fare too well against an entire fortress of dwarves and decide to run. I don't think there's any way to change the "survival instinct" trigger for that (I'm not experienced at modding though, so I may be wrong)
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:30 pm »

That made me laugh. Haha, asses and elbows. Sounds so British, my mum would love it :D

Also, I don't think Orcs would be scared of a bait puppy. They ran into the cage traps, there were 3 left, they ran away. No Soldier in sight.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »

If half your squad's gone, no matter what the cause, odds are you want to retreat, regroup, and come back later with a bigger force. In fact, it's probably worse if you can't actually see any enemies to pin the blame on.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 05:58:31 pm »

That made me laugh. Haha, asses and elbows. Sounds so British, my mum would love it :D

Also, I don't think Orcs would be scared of a bait puppy. They ran into the cage traps, there were 3 left, they ran away. No Soldier in sight.

If 3/4 of the squad was already captured by traps, they know you have a heavy trap based defense. Nobody in their right mind would attack after losing the majority of their men to unseen defenses, even if you had no soldiers there's no telling how many more traps you have lieing around.

Put some floodgates at the back and front of your defenses, wired to pressure plates. As soon as they reach the traps, the floodgates will close and they'll wander around getting caged or sawed up. For added firepower, put in a fortification with some marksdwarves set up along the side and pick off the ones lucky enough to avoid your traps. That or you could make a flood room or atom smasher, can't go wrong with a meta-trap.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:01:40 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2]