Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Siege? Where?  (Read 1050 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege? Where?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:31:00 pm »

I have the *siege* notification even though I already killed off the last siege to appear (with dragonfire). Why do I still have the siege notification on the screen?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege? Where?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:38:26 pm »

Might still be a group that hasn't been discovered yet.  Send a soldier or a squad to walk around the perimeter of the map.  Also, look around for campfires burning, they're also a good indicator.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:56 pm »

Nope, don;t see either.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:15:43 pm »

Have you checked your units list? Are there any invaders on it? If so, deal with them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »

Oh trust me, I dealt with *every* invader in the unit list. Even my prisoners-I threw them into a pit with three of my dragons. Suffice it to say I don;t worry about clutter from that lot. The funny thing is, the previous siege-and orc siege-which I burned with my dragon defense left after three squads got smoked. At that point, the siege indicator disappeared. Then, for some reason, it reappeared. There are no "invaders" or "hostiles" listed on my map. I took care of the goblin ambush which preceded the attack by the orcs, and the orcs which I didn;t kill left the map. My prisoners are all dead by dragonfire, so there should be nothing to give me this message. No untamed megabeasts either.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:04:19 pm »

There's a bug where units get stuck "airborne" (like after being whacked by a weapon) and won't move. If you get a creature stuck that way, I don't think there's any way to un-stick it, and you can get perpetually stuck in siege mode. However, I don't know offhand if units stuck that way still show up on the units list. Still, something to look for. The creature will have a light blue background and won't move, and you won't be able to look at it or interact with it in any way.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:49:39 pm »

not even a pressurized magma spout set up beneath the flying unit?
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:25:22 am »

The flying unit does not exist until it stops flying; nothing can interfere with it. The problem is that it's not actually moving, so it never stops flying.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 05:56:36 am »

However...on the bright side, this means I have no interruptions to my mega project, correct? The thing is though, I distinctly saw the siege notification DISAPPEAR before it popped back up.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:00 am »

Elves (or some nefarious modded ambush sieger) maybe?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:39 am »

The thing is though, I distinctly saw the siege notification DISAPPEAR before it popped back up.

If it is a bug, that could make sense - the last sieger was slagged, sent flying, and "disappeared" from the map, so the siege ended - but then the bug kicked in, and the flying critter never lands, but is still "there" (sort of), so the siege isn't over after all. 

Not saying that's absolutely how the bug works, but once you accept that there is a bug then any additional glitch is also possible.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:11 am »

The flying unit does not exist until it stops flying; nothing can interfere with it. The problem is that it's not actually moving, so it never stops flying.

Flying eagles (10-20 levels above the ground) are exist in the units menu.

But falling units do not, they exist just as engraved floor. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:35:27 am »

Really? They are exist? 

No one was confused.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 07:00:30 am »

Elves (or some nefarious modded ambush sieger) maybe?

My only modded race in the game is the orc mod, and it was winter so can't be elves. I think I'll post this in the bug section-my frame rate was atrocious due to temp being on (!!XXORC HEADXX!!s is worth a laugh).

since there was no way for the units involved to get punted off the map-even my champions aren't *that* powerful, I'm going to assume this was a bug. I *may* have accidentally turned on the movie screen, however. Guess I'll just work on my project, and keep an eye out for this in future forts. Pity I didn;t record it like I originally planned, or I would have seen what caused it.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »

Don't wanna de-rail, but instead of making a new thread, i'll bump this one. Questions are related.

Is there anyway to stop enemies from retreating after losing too many men? Orcs constantly retreat whenever 3/4 of their party is captured in Cage Traps. I just wondered if there is any way to make them fight on, instead of building a sort of "enclosure"...One gate in front, open, with a bait to lure em in, one gate behind, that is closed once they're all in.

I thought orcs had no fear and no pain, so I don't know why they run.
Pages: [1] 2