Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: APB (All Points Bulletin) The Cops and Robber MMO  (Read 23418 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: APB (All Points Bulletin) The Cops and Robber MMO
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »

As if mmos weren't repetitive things.
mmo's at least have some content in them, big world and such.

Definatly. MMOs (the good ones at least) endevour to create a virtual world. You can just mindlessly kill the same mob over and over in the same zone, but there's usually alot more content to discover. Exploration is a huge part of what makes an MMO enjoyable to me. Obviously everyone gets something different from MMOs, but this to me just doesn't feel like one.

As an MMO it compares to games like City of Heroes or Champions Online. Excellent customization, and nothing else to do besides combat. Granted the combat in this is better by virtue of being a shooter, but i wouldnt pay a subscription for call of duty. Actually Call of Duty is a bad example, GTA4 works much better. Because thats pretty much what this is. GTA4's online mode, only better implemented, but with a much smaller play area.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2010, 05:40:01 pm »

Well, I can't really comment on that yet, since I haven't played.

What I can comment is that mmo content sucks for most part. Mostly because I hate static areas you can go back to and are always the same old crap. Course, this will apply to APB too.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2010, 08:26:07 am »

I don't think you got what I meant. It is not mmo by FAR. Its just advertised as one. Its more like free (difference begin not free) online shooter for instance: Battlefield Heroes. Well maybe its just me (actually a lot of people complain about it) but game isn't worth what they are asking for. If someone wants to see for themselves I have one beta key to give away. PM if you want. I hope I didn't say too much concerning NDA  ::).

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2010, 09:52:09 am »

You didn't say anything breaching the NDA.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2010, 10:32:46 am »

Good to hear. I never bother reading those loong contracts and stuff so you can never be too sure. Also beta key is taken.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »

Well, they did go all saying there wouldn't be a subscription... They ended up going that way, even tho there are options.

In any case, I love the customization, so I might get suckered in, like champions & coh did before.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »

Well, they did go all saying there wouldn't be a subscription... They ended up going that way, even tho there are options.
Its funny how some more dedicated people on beta forums are explaining it that they never said there would be no subscription. Here it comes so better fasten your seatbelts: they said game "won't require" monthly fees. Well geez of course you can always buy 20 hours of gameplay for almost as much as subscription, see? Also they gave us illusion you could play for free by painting virtual t-shirts and selling them to some *ahem* ... individuals who would blow real money on this in form of points bought from developer. See? No subscription required! How witty of them indeed.

Ok to be more fair. Option for buying hours actually is excellent idea but first of all game would have to be worth paying for as you may suspect in my opinion it isn't, secondly: too little for too much I see absolutely no point in buying hours unless you are some rare case when you get just few hours of playtime in week (to be more precise less than 5) but then why are you even considering online game which is supposed to be community driven when you can log in just once in a long while? What's the point (actually its pretty funny imagining situation in which you explain to your clan mates who the hell are you again  :D)? Well unless (again) you just happen to have bunch of friends who conveniently have these 3 hours of free time just when you do. Otherwise I see no point. Better grab some RPG with good story or whatever strikes your fancy.

Damn it was going to be such nice casual pick up game, you know play hour or two to relax little bit, talk with people, shoot stuff.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2010, 02:13:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That made no sense, now that I've read it over, so I've spoilered it. To sum it up, and actually make sense-
Actually, I can't. It's like I was half asleep twenty seconds ago.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:41:39 am by Dr. Johbson »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:38 am »

After having been very generously provided with a beta key by Janekk, I can safely say that my computer lags. When I get a better graphics card, I'll do something other than the tutorial and have a somewhat informed opinion to give.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Pathos

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:19 am »

<snip>

Isn't this game a heavily instanced shoot-'em-up? So, it's really not a game the players create? It's also not an MMO, if we take Guild Wars as the basis. (ArenaNet outright stated Guild Wars isn't an MMO, and APB is along the same lines.)

A real game players create is EvE Online.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:31 am »

From what I see, it's exactly like GTA except you can only shoot players if you're in a mission against them or you're in a chaos server. You're automatically pitted against people for missions, but you can choose your group if you want to.
You can, if you want to, just run people down/rob a store without having to accept a mission.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:44 am »

I don't have the time or money for EVE. =P I'm just saying there is quite a bit a freedom created by the customization alone.

Pathos

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:50 am »

From what I see, it's exactly like GTA except you can only shoot players if you're in a mission against them or you're in a chaos server. You're automatically pitted against people for missions, but you can choose your group if you want to.
You can, if you want to, just run people down/rob a store without having to accept a mission.

That sounds pretty terribad, to be honest.

Now, if it was Shadowrun...

I don't have the time or money for EVE. =P I'm just saying there is quite a bit a freedom created by the customization alone.

You can buy subscription time for in-game money, in EvE. =p You also don't need to play the game in order to get better skills, only to get money / items.

Customisation doesn't give you more freedom, it merely gives you more ways to look pretty. Freedom is an open game world which you can alter.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2010, 02:33:26 am »

Not the best wording there, on my part.

Either way, doesn't EVE have like 5 expansion packs now? Guessing they go for around 30 each.. I was planning to upgrade my computer soon. And yeah, my rant a little bit up doesn't make much sense, kinda got lost in the moment. =P

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2010, 02:35:33 am »

No, they got for free with the main client. Which can also be downloaded for free.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14