Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Babies  (Read 457 times)

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Babies
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:56:03 pm »

Just a general thread about the little bearded ones.

First off, how does the game decide that a Dorf is pregnant?  Do a married couple have to be near each other?
For instance, if I get a notification that a couple gotten married (Congratulations!) and then proceed to seal Urist McManDwarf in the deepest dungeons, can Urista McWomanDwarf get pregnant if the man is not in proximity?

Second, Why are dwarf babies suicidal?

Third, why do the babies make such good shields?

Thanks
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Babies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

Breeding via spores that can even go through walls is a given when talking about pets. But I guess you already knew that. If that works for dwarfs, I do not know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought babies were only suicidal if orphaned, which I dare say is understandable seeing how only a baby's mother will ever care for it. Or do you mean you've seen a baby try off itself while its mother was still alive?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:31:16 pm »

Just a general thread about the little bearded ones.

K.

Quote from: SomGuye
First off, how does the game decide that a Dorf is pregnant?  Do a married couple have to be near each other?

No, all creatures, as long as there an opposite gender of one will breed via spores.

For instance, if I get a notification that a couple gotten married (Congratulations!) and then proceed to seal Urist McManDwarf in the deepest dungeons, can Urista McWomanDwarf get pregnant if the man is not in proximity?

As long as they're both alive they can have babies, missing limbs no problem, missing genitalia? No problem either! It is all through spores, though be warned all DF creatures love only once, (as of now).

Second, Why are dwarf babies suicidal?

No form of adoption in DF. NEXT!

Third, why do the babies make such good shields?

Not sure, must be some sortof layering thingy in the coding.

Thanks

YOUR WELCOME!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:16:41 pm »

Babies make good shields because goblins can either attack the mother or the baby instead of just the mother. It's a fifty-fifty chance to entirely avoid an attack! And if the baby doesn't die, then the baby will heal just fine in the mother's arms.

And if it does die, well. There will always be more.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.