Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why cant I embark here?  (Read 1700 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Why cant I embark here?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:31 am »

Yeah, and how long could that take?  Nothing that can't be overcome, but nothing I'd want to have to.

It's just a tunnel we're talking about here. Dwarves dig tunnels all the damn time, why should this one be any different?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:10 am »

Why? Oh, I dunno - because you might have better things to do upon embark instead of this, just to get that first autumn caravan.

The "difference" that you seem so aggressively blind to is that you have to do it, rather than, oh I dunno - maybe dig out your fortress?  I said it could be overcome, but for a beginning 7, that's one additional pain I wouldn't want.

But you knock yourself out.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:33:38 am »

This is actually my standard setup.  it isn't that hard, if you're half "Untelligent" about it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:50:41 am »

Alright, lemmie lay down the facts from my tests:

Dwarven traders always seem to come if there is a map edge. Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of the Peaks of Doom, they will come from a free map edge, or on an island as long as one map edge touches land. As far as peaks go, mountains are actually rather nice places. No real extreme elevation change. The only limitation here is the fact that you cannot grow anything. It appears the mountain biome is incapable of growing any crops. I don't know if setting crops to grow on such a biome would work, but the food shortage will be your main problem.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:06 am »

Enh, clearing a path for the wagons is a common task for most forts. Sure there may be things I'd rather be doing, but I'm not going to base my embark location on that one-time cost. Especially since I tend to put my depot well inside the fortress, so I'll need to be clearing room for the wagons anyway.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:14 am »

Especially in the mountains where you have to clear out those boulders. At least boulders don't grow back.

The pathing clutter caused by those boulders seems to contribute to causing those very slow caravan wagons.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 12:05:39 pm »

Alright, lemmie lay down the facts from my tests:

Dwarven traders always seem to come if there is a map edge. Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of the Peaks of Doom, they will come from a free map edge, or on an island as long as one map edge touches land. As far as peaks go, mountains are actually rather nice places. No real extreme elevation change. The only limitation here is the fact that you cannot grow anything. It appears the mountain biome is incapable of growing any crops. I don't know if setting crops to grow on such a biome would work, but the food shortage will be your main problem.

Yeah.  First priority on embark is always to get a water source.  I like to embark in mountain/glacier areas,  so this involves large magma reservoirs underneath the glaciers.

One note on this:  make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN your dwarves stay away from the ice as it is melting,  if there is any chance that the magma beneath with evaporate.  Otherwise even a depth 1 puddle will be able to instantly trap your dwarf in Carbonite Ice.  It becomes a very dangerous game of hopscotch.

Beyond that, Towercap farms are a must too.  Then you have a perfectly self-sustaining Biodome.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08:39 pm »

I don't think tower-caps are much of a priority if there is no food.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

I don't think tower-caps are much of a priority if there is no food.

Well yeah,  that's what the melted glaciers are for first and foremost.  They automatically muddy the stone beneath them,  and leave a ceiling of ice above so that the area is still subterranean.

So orders of business would be
  • Flood large area with glacier/river

• Find subterranean river

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:50:21 pm »

Wasn't it said that no crops grew on mountain biomes, regardless of water availability? So what's it gonna be? Make up your minds, people.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »

You can grow plump helmets just fine in a freezing mountain biome,  provided the square is muddied.  I assure you.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:46 pm »

OK, that's good to know.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 01:17:17 pm »

Well if you can't grow crops, its time to start a livestock farm.

and carve a trade tunnel right away, because all booze will be imported.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »

Well if you can't grow crops, its time to start a livestock farm.

and carve a trade tunnel right away, because all booze will be imported.

If you don't have a source of fresh water, those trade caravans will be moot since they won't bring enough to sustain your fortress.

@Assimilateur: That's no plants and trees, not crops. As long as the ground is muddied, crops should grow fine.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 01:32:16 pm »

Underground crops should always grow, yes?

Edit: I was reading on page 1, didn't realize there was a second page. Boy is my face red.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2] 3