Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Drama and flamewars  (Read 4787 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drama and flamewars
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:55 am »

Does anyone else find themselves reading old locked topics, just to get a drama fix? It's sort of worrying. I do it rather often, searching up old topics from bay12. Partly it's because Bay12ers always have such interesting arguments but I think it's mostly that I just like seeing a whole argument pan out in front of my eyes, witnessing the start of the discussion, the spark, the argument and the finale.

Is this strange? Or rather, is this stranger than normal?

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drama and flamewars
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:41 am »

Does anyone else find themselves reading old locked topics, just to get a drama fix? It's sort of worrying. I do it rather often, searching up old topics from bay12. Partly it's because Bay12ers always have such interesting arguments but I think it's mostly that I just like seeing a whole argument pan out in front of my eyes, witnessing the start of the discussion, the spark, the argument and the finale.

no it's just you

gayfag
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:14:15 am »

Does anyone else find themselves reading old locked topics, just to get a drama fix? It's sort of worrying. I do it rather often, searching up old topics from bay12. Partly it's because Bay12ers always have such interesting arguments but I think it's mostly that I just like seeing a wholeargument pan out in front of my eyes, witnessing the start of the discussion, the spark, the argument and the finale.

no it's just you

gayfag

Part of me wishes I didn't get that.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:45:07 am »

Nah... I do it sometime too...

This community is one of the best around, at least pre-nonsense-VN. (not that I have nothing to do with it)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:04:21 am »

I have occasionally dredged up some of the old Various Nonsense threads, to try to figure out what the hell we were doing.  Some of the context is lost with all the images removed.

A while ago I actually went back to a political discussion forum I abandoned years ago, to reread some of the arguments that made hanging out there tiresome enough to leave.  Going back made me glad I left - all my old compatriots were gone, replaced with the same mindless Internet-Libertarians infesting every other worthwhile political board.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:11:09 am »

Oh man VN.  It seemed like it went sour not long after the split, people posting all that yuri crap.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:30 am »

Oh man VN.  It seemed like it went sour not long after the split, people posting all that yuri crap.
And lolcat crap to get rid of that yuri crap.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

I'm pretty sure the entire VN independence thing and the political party RP-ing were the deathblow to the already dieing forum.
The yuri was the icing on the cake of horrors. 

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

exactly what sparked the Yuri/Lolcats war? i just know Yanlin had something to do with it.

also, i should really have a look at VN, it died soon after i joined.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:04:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure the entire VN independence thing and the political party RP-ing were the deathblow to the already dieing forum.
The yuri was the icing on the cake of horrors. 

No, 'twas beauty killed the beast.

Seriously though, the Political thing was near the top of where the downward spiral got steep, so it can't be considered the death blow.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone ever get the urge to start doing things that will undoubtedly get them banned?  I was lying in bed the other day and I was suddenly gripped by the desire to get on here and start necroing 5 year old threads with just the word "hi" as fast as I could until I got banned.  I'm not going to act on it, of course.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:09:03 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:12 pm »

Nop it's not strange...this means that you have too much free time.  ;D

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:03:36 pm »

One funny thing I've noticed from VN is that toady removed all the bad punchlines from one thread, which makes it look very strange.

Jakkarra

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:32 pm »

What'choo talkin' 'bout Jackrabbit?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 03:34:47 pm »

exactly what sparked the Yuri/Lolcats war? i just know Yanlin had something to do with it.

also, i should really have a look at VN, it died soon after i joined.

Fuck lolcats. Grammarcats is the new fad.

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jakkarra

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »

wait a sec, if you are moving onto grammarcats, the yuri's may move on to...

OSHI-

YAOI!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5