Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 1391 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Computer Question
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:46:44 am »

Okay, since I can't find a tech forum here, I'm posting this in the GD.

I'm tired of this crappy old mac. What would be a good, cheap alternative and how much would it cost? Laptops are preferable, but I could easily use a small enough flatscreen with wireless hardware (mouse and keyboard). Pretty much the only thing I need it to do is run Firefox 3, Flash 10, DF. It would be nice if it also ran a lot of the DF utilities, mainly 3Dwarf and something that can reveal tiles (I know reveal does this, but I think some others are also capable).

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:57:49 am »

The problem is, DF needs a fairly beefy processor to run at good speeds. Which means you're either stuck with an expensive laptop, or a desktop.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 12:43:55 pm »

I'm using a laptop right now. It runs DF fine, admittedly I haven't done anything seriously epic (like magma fountains, or even HFS). I still use 40d. I've also played FF7 in ePSXe with no trouble (yeah... probably not the most taxing thing immaginable...).

It's almosts year old now. My Grandpa got it for me, paid around US$600 I think.
Brand: HP
CPU: an AMD 64-bit dual-core 2.00GHz (according to windows)
RAM: 4GB total, shared with the Gfx card.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »

The question is this: How much are you willing to spend on it?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:24:16 am »

I'm willing to spend as much money as I have on this.
Problem is, I have no money.

Also, I heard that DF only uses one-core, so dual-core processors don't help.

Right now I'm running an iBook G4 with 10.3.9.
Processor speed is 1.07Ghz.
Memory is 512 MB DDR SDRAM.

Yeah... this computer sucks.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:02:27 am »

The dual-core thing is because newer dual-cores seriously outperform older processors, even using a single of their cores. I guess a 'cheap' laptop will run DF fine, as long as you get one with the right type of processor. But laptops tend to be alot pricier than an equiv desktop- for 600$ you can get a basic laptop, or get a fairly amazing gaming computer.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:35 pm »

I'm willing to spend as much money as I have on this.
Problem is, I have no money.

Also, I heard that DF only uses one-core, so dual-core processors don't help.

Right now I'm running an iBook G4 with 10.3.9.
Processor speed is 1.07Ghz.
Memory is 512 MB DDR SDRAM.

Yeah... this computer sucks.

Well if you don't have [enough] money, it's a serious problem, isn't it?  ;D
Either way...yeah DF uses 1 core only, but dual core is still much better. Why? Because your OS + apps will run on core 1, while DF will only use core 2. [If you set it up like that at least..]

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »

That's not the only reason.

One core of a modern dual core > A faster core of a single core processor.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »

That's not the only reason.

One core of a modern dual core > A faster core of a single core processor.

I read somewhere about someone's standard Core 2 Duo (1.6GHz or thereabouts) or whatever they call them nowadays outperforming a 4GHz P4. This was a theoretical test in that the Core 2 really did outperform, but I doubt one would get results like that in real life.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 07:32:11 am »

Well I can testify. I had a 2.8GHz Pentium 4.

After switching to my E4500 (That I bought a LONG time ago) my performance skyrocketted.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:07:17 am »

You're looking for a dirt-cheap laptop?

Netbook.

They're itsy-bitsy laptops, and a quick glance at newegg tells me that a  1.60 GHz single core processor and 1GB DDR2 memory seems to be the standard. If you do buy one, try to get a small amount (20-50 GB) of solid state storage for the operating system and some programs, then buy a portable hard drive to store all the other stuff you want to store, like music and pictures and all that crap.

Getting a netbook will cost around $330 US to $600 US depending on the specific model you get.
The smaller 2.5" hard drives, which I recommend for portability, cost between $40 (80GB) and $120 (500GB) based mostly on size.

Newegg links:
Netbooks
2.5" external drives

If you want something fast (remember, netbooks have single core 1.60 GHz processors), you'll need to spend more money on a bigger laptop or a desktop.

AxelDominatoR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:02:35 am »

The most important thing is: get a laptop with a graphic card that has its *own* video RAM. Integrated video cards that use normal memory not only diminish the quantity of RAM available to the main system, but they slow down all the applications, because they clutter the RAM bus with data trasmitted for graphics operations.
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC