Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wound Distinction  (Read 648 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wound Distinction
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:26 pm »

How does the game determine the difference between major and minor wounds? I have stoneworker who got his entire arm chopped off by a goblin and he only has a minor injury, but one of my leatherworkers fell down a chute as I was caving it in, he only has a broken foot but has a major injury??
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Wound Distinction
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:02:08 pm »

Uhm, my minor/major, do you mean the color?
The extremely minor(I do believe the term is bruised, forgive me if I'm wrong) wound color looks a lot like the extremely painful lopped off color, the lopped off gray color is darker than the aforementioned minor wound color.

madnak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:22 pm »

Each injury only applies to one body part.  So a broken foot is a major (red) foot injury.  A lopped-off arm should be dark gray (meaning it's been removed).  Yellow is a minor wound, brown and light gray are bruising.  Bruising (except on the nervous system and some organs) will heal automatically, but both major and minor injuries require bed rest.

A major foot injury is often less severe than a minor head injury, so "major" and "minor" aren't really medical designations, just examples of how much damage was caused to an area.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »

No, no, no. Anything that prevents a dwarf from walking is a major injury, or any injury to an internal organ. This would include breaking legs, getting a lung pierced, losing an eye, or breaking the spine.

Minor injuries are anything that does not prevent a dwarf from walking around, like getting a broken arm, a broken head and not broken brain, or a broken upper body.

Major injuries flash a red cross on the dwarf, and minor injuries flash a yellow cross. The degree of the injury doesn't matter, like a mangled instead of broken arm.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »

So if a dwarf loses an arm, but isn't actually passing out from the pain, and so can walk, it's deemed a minor injury?

(Sounds like my HMO)  :P

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:10 am »

So if a dwarf loses an arm, but isn't actually passing out from the pain, and so can walk, it's deemed a minor injury?

(Sounds like my HMO)  :P
If he wasn't such a pussy he could run around stabbing goblins with just one arm but with a leg and a stump he's pretty much out of combat no matter how willing he is.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:00 pm »

What if they've lost both eyes?  Does that count as a major injury?  I sure couldn't walk without any eyes.  Heh.

But my adventure kicks ass with his one eye, after the other one got gouged out by a sasquatch paw to the face.  Although he's constantly in pain, and passes out from time to time.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:37:43 pm »

The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:20:36 am »

Actually the human (and presumably dwarven) brain has a bit of the same echolocation capacity as a bat- you can use the noise your feet make bouncing off of walls to keep from running into them.
Most of us aren't very good at it so we only know that we're getting closer to walls instead of how close we are but after a bit of being blind you might be pretty decent at it- still no bat but better than nothing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.