Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade Depot inaccessible?  (Read 737 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Trade Depot inaccessible?
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:16:42 pm »

I can't actually work out any reason why it can't be reached this time...

Would anyone mind checking it quicjly for me and if so how do I upload a file for others to check it?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Depot inaccessible?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »

1. Are there any ramps between the depot and the edge of the map?

2. Are you in a heavily forested area?

3. How far from the depot do the green squares extend?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »

You've gotta have more info.

Follow the green path from the TD out toward the edge - see where it stops - that's where your problem is.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »

just to be sure, the caravan must have a 3-tile path all the way to it. that includes through the forest. chop down trees to carve a path.

to upload a save, you must first throw the entire save folder into a ".zip" file (use winzip or winrar).
next you must register and upload the zip file to http://dffd.wimbli.com/. once you have it on there, copy the link to that page, come back here, post it so we can get it quickly.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:45:33 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1083

If anyone's got any general tips/comments on the state of my fortress at this point, then they would be highly welcome too.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:58:59 pm »

Your ramps are set up wrong.

You have to keep moving in the same direction when you go up or down a ramp. The way you've got it, the wagons have to turn on the ramp to be able to navigate it -- and that's impossible for anything in DF.

See those six tiles north of the ramp up? Dig them out and build a ramp to replace the one in the centre.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »

Awesome!

Thanks for your help, I've got it sorted now and hopefully I should be able to get an anvil soon now :)

What did you think of the rest of the fortress?

I made an ultimate mistake with my start build too.  Brought a bloody proficient stone detailer and no Mason!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:48:14 pm »

Seems pretty nice (what's with that random rock salt apartment?), and having the corridors double as raw material stockpiles is a cool idea. Nice job on the lever labelling too.

Your archery tower seems a little vulnerable. If anything makes it past the bridge then it'll have a clear path to the marksdwarves and the ammo resupply line.

Brought a bloody proficient stone detailer and no Mason!
You should have skipped them both and brought a proficient siege engineer instead.  :P

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »

Well, there are a lot of different ways to go - as many as experienced players - but Stone Detailing does train up quickly.  Unlike some others we could name.

All depends on how you're going to approach the game - it's possible to use any skill as a lever to success.  (Some are just bigger levers.)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:49:52 am »

Seems pretty nice (what's with that random rock salt apartment?), and having the corridors double as raw material stockpiles is a cool idea. Nice job on the lever labelling too.

Your archery tower seems a little vulnerable. If anything makes it past the bridge then it'll have a clear path to the marksdwarves and the ammo resupply line.

Brought a bloody proficient stone detailer and no Mason!
You should have skipped them both and brought a proficient siege engineer instead.  :P

The tower (in progress) to the south?  I'm building it as a noble housing complex / easily defended fallback area to hide away my most precious dwarves in case my defences aren't holding up under siege.

The entrance will be made more secure.  I'm planning on extending the dry moat so the drawbridge can be longer and adding in several archery towers around the area.