Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: help me make head or tails of these weird politics  (Read 1475 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help me make head or tails of these weird politics
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »

In my current game, that's largely unmodded (all I did was spawn 4 different goblin civs instead of 1 in hopes I'd get more sieges in fortress mode; the results have been rather underwhelming so far, but that's another story), I'm seeing dark fortresses populated by other races. I figured that whenever there's humanoids other than goblins, they're people kidnapped as kids, or their descendants, right?

I've also been seeing some dark fortresses with no goblins in them whatsoever. They've probably been invaded and taken over, their native populations eliminated, right?

But so far the strangest has been a dark fortress populated entirely by elves, whose leader sent me to kill an elven druid. I thought wars between entities of the same race were impossible. Does this mean that maybe the fortress's native population died out while only the kidnapped elves remained?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: help me make head or tails of these weird politics
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:42:48 pm »

I figured that whenever there's humanoids other than goblins, they're people kidnapped as kids, or their descendants, right?

Yes.

Does this mean that maybe the fortress's native population died out while only the kidnapped elves remained?

Yes.  Happens pretty often for some reason.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:08 pm »

This happens *very* often, since apparently the goblins don't send their prisoners to go die in wars. The elves populating that dark fortress, for example, are members of the goblin civ.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:31 pm »

I think it's related to the murder rate.  Especially since Demons randomly murder people in their own civ, and as we know, Goblins are lead by Demons.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »

I think it's related to the murder rate.  Especially since Demons randomly murder people in their own civ, and as we know, Goblins are lead by Demons.
Actually, in all the demon murders I've seen they've always killed a goblin that had just murdered another person. I don't think its random, I think its just capital punishment

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06:49 pm »

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Regarding demons supposedly leading gobling civs, does that mean that there's one demon per dark tower (or dark fortress or whatever those are called)? I'm asking, because:

1. I somehow got the impression (don't ask me how) that each tower was an autonomous civ.

2. That would mean that I'd have to look more thoroughly for demons, since so far I've encountered one even though I've visited around 10 towers.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »

No, one demon leader per civ.

They always wind up getting shot in the world gen. As for your other question, just ask around for the civilization's capital.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:05:41 am »

I'm at the goblin civ's capital and there's no sign of a demon, even though I've canvassed the area reasonably thoroughly. A demon I had fought earlier was hanging out on the surface, so I figured demon leaders would be easy to find.

Is it possible that a leader got killed but the capital's population didn't scatter? I'm asking, because if I ask about the capital in a different tower, they mention someone by name who's probably a demon (with a name like Menacedswallowed I'd expect nothing less). But when I then go to the capital proper and ask someone about it, they only mention an elf who I've already met.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:43 am »

look in legands mode to find out who they are and where they are. im assuming you want to kill them, right?

regardless, an evil goblin civ led by an elf is so like those pointy eared bastards. make sure you get the elf, too. in my experience the elves bred by goblins all wear iron and leather and carry iron weapons, making them much harder to kill then the normal tree hugging variety. it almost pleases me to think how angsty the other elves must get about this.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:03 am »

look in legands mode to find out who they are and where they are. im assuming you want to kill them, right?

I'm already at the capital. You're telling me a demon leader can be somewhere else?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm gonna kill the demon, or the elves, for that matter. I'm presently on good terms with them.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:46:24 pm »

The Demon could be dead (At which point I think a Goblin takes over, but I'm not entirely sure), or it could be out fighting or something else.  It's hard to say, although in my experience, a Demon will usually sit fairly still when at his home base.

Oh Armok, the spice.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »

I once found a tower which allegedly had a demon in it.  I say "allegedly" because I got bored, sliced the heads off a few goblins and got shot by an archer before I could find it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »

The Demon could be dead (At which point I think a Goblin takes over, but I'm not entirely sure), or it could be out fighting or something else.  It's hard to say, although in my experience, a Demon will usually sit fairly still when at his home base.

I cut down most of the elves there (this is a goblin civ with its native population extinct, it would appear) and there was no demon. Means that he was probably dead, as you say.

Maybe you'll know this: are there supposed to be some underground parts to some of the goblin towers? In an earlier adventure game I once entered some underground tunnel that was either directly below a tower, or somewhere in the vicinity. It wasn't a cave (at least not one I've ever seen since), as the tunnels weren't 1x wide; they were more like 3-5 tiles wide.

I got tired of exploring it after several minutes, since I didn't encounter any lifeforms and hence got bored. When I tried to shift-t out of it, it said something about not being able to do that, due to traveling underground.

Any idea what it was that I stumbled upon? At that time I hadn't thought much of it, but now I can't help but think that I might have missed out on something interesting.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:41:04 pm »

Goblins sometimes have underground roads and I've seen a few RNG towers that go into the ground instead of upward to the sky.

I wouldn't know how to get to the road, though, and I hear it takes a LOOOOONG time to travel one.  Like hours in real life.  What you found is a road, for sure.  Unfortunately, the only way out is death or going back.

Oh Armok, the spice.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:26:20 pm »

Looks like I didn't miss anything, then.
Pages: [1] 2