Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purring Maggots- how on earth do I find them?  (Read 831 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Purring Maggots- how on earth do I find them?
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:10:17 am »

Well, this all started when I saw a massive misama cloud hanging around in my barracks. After a bit of K'ing through it all, I found two lumps of rotting purring maggot meat. This comes as quite a surprise, because I never knew that they existed on my map. I look at the meat, and I find thta it's owned by a solider, which makes getting rid of it much harder, but it happened eventually.

Now, what I want to know is how can I find out if I had any more of them?

Thanks

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Purring Maggots- how on earth do I find them?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:12:25 am »

The only way to get purring maggot meat is to trade for it, at the moment it's impossible to butcher purring maggots.

If you have a Chasm or UG Pit on your map, you may have purring maggots there. Check the Wiki for how to capture them.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:14:42 am »

I think you misunderstood me- I had some rotting meat on the floor in my barracks, which to me implies that I had a live maggot around at some point, unless there was some traded to me and I just didn't notice myself buying it.

I have no caves or pits or anything, just an underground river.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:14 am »

How do people find out their homes are home to rats and the like (Unless of course, they have multiplied in such a way it is REALLY obvious)? They set up vermin traps and see if it catches anything. The fact that you have rotting purring maggots pretty much verifies the fact that they live in your for though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:09 am »

I think you misunderstood me- I had some rotting meat on the floor in my barracks, which to me implies that I had a live maggot around at some point, unless there was some traded to me and I just didn't notice myself buying it.

I have no caves or pits or anything, just an underground river.

Do you have rotting maggots or rotting maggot meat? Important difference. If you have rotting maggots then you've got them, if you have rotting maggot meat then you imported some via dorven caravan. Maggots cannot be butchered, the only way to get maggot meat is to trade for it.

Purring Maggots also only appear in Chasms or Bottomless Pits (and only rarely in those), so if you don't have one of those, you don't have Purring Maggots, end of story.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:32:45 am by Neruz »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:03:11 am »

You have to get a strong sack, and a flashlight, and a tin can and a rock.  You hold the flashlight in your teeth (to blind it), and make a purring noise (you'll drool a little, but don't worry about it).  Rattle the rock around in the can - that'll panic them, but they'll be attracted to the purring noise (thinking it's another of their kind).  Hold the bag between your legs, and when they run in, you got one.

Any other questions?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

You have to get a strong sack, and a flashlight, and a tin can and a rock.  You hold the flashlight in your teeth (to blind it), and make a purring noise (you'll drool a little, but don't worry about it).  Rattle the rock around in the can - that'll panic them, but they'll be attracted to the purring noise (thinking it's another of their kind).  Hold the bag between your legs, and when they run in, you got one.

Any other questions?
I like it!
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »

Rotting meat in your barracks seems to suggest that you have dwarves set to carry rations and wrestlers who pulled those rations out of each others' backpacks and left them to rot on the floor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:42:52 am »

Notably, dwarves don't actually have flashlights, only torches.

The purring noise is actually the sound their climbing hairs make whilst rasping against the rock.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.