Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [MacForeman] Version 1.0.2 released.  (Read 1320 times)

MrNewton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[MacForeman] Version 1.0.2 released.
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:48 am »

Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=695

The armor and crash problems with hunters should now be fixed.

MacForeman is a port of Foreman to MacOSX 10.5.
It only works on Intel macs on OS version 10.5!

If anyone wants to port it to earlier versions of the OS, feel free to do so. The source is included.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MacForeman] Version 1.0.2 released.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:58:16 am »

Doesn't seem to work with 40d11... How did you go about figuring memory offsets? I can try to come up with appropriate ones for 40d11, but is there a technique?

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:13 am »

Doesn't work with 40d. Copied it into the DF folder, started DF, started playing, started Mac Foreman, tried to load. Nothing.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04:14 pm »

I don't run DF on a mac, but I've got a possible thought here...you're running the Mac version of DF and not running the Win version in Wine so you can use all the other utilities, right?

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »

I'm using the mac version.π

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:18:46 pm »

Just making sure.  I understand a fair few of our Mac users run DF in Wine so they can use all the other utilities.

Anyway...what Apple OS version are you running?  I'm just going to assume it's new enough to use an Intel based processor...

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »

It's Leopard. Got it with the shiny iMac I bought last year.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 06:47:24 pm »

It's Leopard. Got it with the shiny iMac I bought last year.

Is it up to date?(current version is 10.5.7 released May 12,2009)

There's the far off chance that it's newer than the version the program is designed to use.  Builds shouldn't negate other builds, but there is that far off chance.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas for the time being...would help if I actually played this game on a Mac...

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know...otherwise you're waiting for the OP to come back.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »

Yeah. Looks like that. I'm running 10.5.7.

BTW I want one of those shiny new MacBooks announced ~2 hours ago.

MrNewton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »

I use it on version 28.181.40d on an intel MacOSX 10.5.7.

One of the missing things that I never gotten around to is to implement a good way to popup error messages when the tool fails. Try running Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) while trying to load the data and see if you get any error messages from the application. When the program fails it usually writes something there.

MrNewton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:35:39 pm »

The offsets were quite hard to find actually. I made a memory dumping program that tried to read all data from a running application and wrote the result to several files (one file for each region). Sadly I don't remember where I put the dumper.

I think I had to use 'vm_stat' or some similar tool get the memory regions and then I used the code in the helper tool to actually read the data.

The data files I then opened in an hex editor and tried to find the wanted data. I managed to find the list of creatures (including dwarves) by searching for pointers to within the extracted memory areas. It was a lot of hit and misses. If I remember correctly, a list was defined as two pointers, one to the start and one to the end. I knew I was looking for a list so I looked for two pointers in a row and then manually looked at where they pointed.

I had a lot of help from the Windows version of the application since it told me what kind of data to look for.

MrNewton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:37:53 pm »

There might be a problem if there are any addons that modify the creature lists, but I am not sure. I only use addons that modify the graphics myself.