Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawbridges for Dumbos (and other questions)  (Read 657 times)

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drawbridges for Dumbos (and other questions)
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:19:56 am »

Every time I think I got this game worked out, something else comes up. Case in point, I've started on a flat plain (don't judge me!) and decided to build one of those cool drawbridges to go with the little keep, and of course I had to elevate it and build ramps and a wall to allow wagon access and that. But I've come across a few problems:

1: I have a dwarf stuck outside who I can't seem to coax back in, he seems content to live on vermin and sleep in the dirt. I've tried drafting him and stationing his one-man squad inside the keep, but he got halfway there and stopped. Is my drawbridge inaccessible to him or something? (for the record, it says the wagon CAN access it, soo...)

2: I haven't got the actual drawbridge to redraw yet. I haven't experimented yet because of the above moron and I was trying to get it accessible in time for an elven caravan (I failed), but I've built a lever on the ground near it and tried to connect, but I get the message 'Not Enough Mechanisms'. Does that mean it needs to be closer, or simply a message stating that it's hooked up to the bridge and there's nothing else it can attach to?

3: I'm worried about supplies of food and booze. I have a still, and the meat processing areas set up, but I can't seem to get the dwarves to properly make slaughtered animals into food and goods in time. How do I gotta do this?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Drawbridges for Dumbos (and other questions)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:31:51 am »

1. You probably have an access problem.Try getting your other dwarves to go outside from your fort, and station them parts along the way to see where the problem is. It most likely lies with your ramps. Make sure you have 1) A ramp tile, 2) a wall adjacent to the ramp tile, 3) a floor tile directly above the wall. That should solve the access problem if ramps are your problem.

2. You need to make more mechanisms at the mechanic's workshop. To hook anything up to a lever requires the original mechanism for the lever and two mechanisms for each linkage from that lever. So build more.

3. Food problems? Don't you just set up an underground farm plot and make it pump out plump helmets with abandon?

As for the butchery, make sure you have a dwarf doing nothing but butchery, so that corpses will be processed in a timely manner. Likewise, I'd recommend a dedicated tanner. And make sure you have space available in your food stockpile and haulers available to move it there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:44:53 am »

1: ...it says the wagon CAN access it...

2: ...trying to get it accessible in time for an elven caravan (I failed)

Not sure if what the timeline is between these two statements, but if they are in that order then they're contradictory.  Elves only need a single stair or ramp - if you have an accessible TD, that's 3-wide, more than enough. So unless something changed, something's wrong.

Having wagon access TO your bridge isn't enough - it has to be through it.  Make sure your TD itself is "accessible" - white "D's" flashing, not yellow ones.

Ramps can be tricky - if it's a ramp, don't trust it. Read JG's explanation carefully - the path has to be "forward, up, (more or less) forward", never "forward, up, double-back" or "off to the side".

To confirm if it's a path problem, build a brand new staircase (or tunnel) nearby up to the location - if it works, you know it's a broken path, and you can then seal it back up with a quick (b), (C), (f)loor (or (w)all) command.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:22:12 am »

No, they're not in that order, I just didn't finish assembling the drawbridge complex in time. And I dunno what was up with the elves, the opportunity to trade didn't seem to come up. Probably my own error.

I'll build the drawbridge entrance to match the exit, hopefully that'll solve the problem. I might build a temporary staircase to rescue my dwarf in the meantime.

To have a dedicated butcher, should I cancel all his labors except butchery?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:54 am »

Yes. He shouldn't waste his time hauling. Though he'll have a lot of time being wasted when there aren't any corpses. Deactivate his labors when you have animal corpses or are marking animals for slaughter. Otherwise, he can haul.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:17:30 am »

Well, I managed to fix the drawbridge ramp, accidentally killing a new peasant immigrant whom nobody cared about in the process (I got rid of his body, thanks 'Respect for the Dead' thread, but when's someone gonna claim his gear?). I had to dig another entrance out to get it done (and let the many, mostly useless immigrants in) but I've taken down the stairs and walled it off...

And I guess I should be glad I rescued that lost moron, after coming back he was taken by a strange mood and made a legendary dog skull totem. Yay?

I gotta say, I'm liking this game. I've come across a stash of microcline, in my favourite colour! I'm so making a legendary dining hall entirely out of it.

I have more dwarves than I can keep track of, is this the point where I should consider them expendable?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 06:41:54 am »

Butchers are one of the many "burst labors" - a wave of carcasses comes in, they butcher, then they're done until the next.  You don't want butchery delayed (or they'll rot), but they should have something else to keep them busy that doesn't interfere.  Food hauling is not a bad plan - it's low priority, and rarely interferes.  Or something like leatherwork, which is directly related, but can wait until all butchery is done. (As opposed to Tanning, which is also related, but cannot wait or the skins may rot.)

accidentally killing a new peasant immigrant...

There are no accidents... (no, wait, yes there are - nm)

...he was taken by a strange mood and made a legendary dog skull totem. Yay?

If you have no other Legendary Bone Carvers, a great big YAY! High quality bolts for practice and and back-up combat, and high quality bone crossbows for your weapon traps and any "wave of untrained archers" you may designate.  Plus all those goblin skull totems to adorn your halls, plus the attributes.

I have more dwarves than I can keep track of, is this the point where I should consider them expendable?

If you're asking, and not cringing when you do, then the answer is a mos' def YES.

(edit - strike - brain cramp)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:59:13 pm by Albedo »

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »

Have you tried ordering all dwarves indoors? Press o and select it from a list

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »

Well, I managed to fix the drawbridge ramp

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 08:13:05 pm »

If you have no other Legendary Bone Carvers, a great big YAY! ...and high quality bone crossbows...

Bone carvers don't make bone crossbows. That's still the bowyer's job.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:06 pm »

Yeah, I know that - or I at least I did.  Hrmmm.   :-\