Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress  (Read 3369 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:08 pm »

Windows are also a useful solution for the stalactites being rough on the outside but smoothing making both sides smooth~

And if you do the glass-lava-lightpost thing: I think that fort mentioned having a something skull totem sitting on top of them.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 08:41:05 pm »

When you mine out the formations for using them, leave the wall at a thickness of 2. When you smooth it, the outside remains rough. Also, the engravings will for sure affect the room.

Anyway, I tried this and ended up abandoning because I made it too big and got epic levels of lag. It's an ambitious project, but it doesn't require a 9x9 embark area...

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:16:31 pm »

When you mine out the formations for using them, leave the wall at a thickness of 2. When you smooth it, the outside remains rough. Also, the engravings will for sure affect the room.

Anyway, I tried this and ended up abandoning because I made it too big and got epic levels of lag. It's an ambitious project, but it doesn't require a 9x9 embark area...

That's a good idea about the double thickness. I will for sure do that.
For embark area I think I'm probably going to use that 3x3 "Most Features" winner that's over on the Worldgen Extreme thread.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 09:52:12 pm »

I found myself with a huge area, but I was literally only using the northwest ninth.

It helps to give dwarves <100 speed, no_sleep, no_eat, and no_drink.
That way, you can have all 7 be miners, with each one having a backup profession for when you want to change them back to normal. Also, they will level up to legendary in about a month like this.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:03 pm »

I have an idea for a cool looking fortress, Take a Chasm, Build houses and shops etc hanging off the edges connected by lengths of floors (kinda like ropebridges....) and have minimal digging for homes and the like, only mine for minerals and building material..... Ima try it.... ttys about the epic fail to come, and the horrible GCS stories.... *shudders*
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »

I found myself with a huge area, but I was literally only using the northwest ninth.

That way, you can have all 7 be miners, with each one having a backup profession for when you want to change them back to normal. Also, they will level up to legendary in about a month like this.

Thats what I do, I never have any sort of food industries. Its great designating 30 dwarves to dig, and another 30 dwarves to smooth stone. I feel sorta sad making the dwarves robots, but it makes them more dwarfy not to have to bend to the will of eating, drinking, and sleeping(except when it lets them run into the line of fire).
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:46 pm »

Don't use a chasm, they're too small.
What you need is a bottomless pit.
And a mostly drained magma pipe.

Elaborations on the magma pipe:
Build some pumps at one of the lower levels that drain out the magma into the bottomless pit. With enough pumps, you could have the magma pipe permanently mostly drained and have cool magma falls in the pit. While you're at it, reroute the water source used for power so that it also drains into the pit.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 12:08:30 am »

I'm working on mining out my entire map for a mega project.  It is taking absolutely forever.  I have maybe 80 miners but the pathfinding is what kills it.  When they all start or finish a section my FPS goes down to 1 as it figures out what to do with all the dwarves.

EDIT:  A thought just occurred to me.  You could designate the whole cavern at once so that you can lay it all out in one go.  But to help with pathfinding FPS issues break up the mining into small sections by undesignating stuff so that the dwarves can't access a section until you want them to.

If you're mining out the entire map, can't you just designate the bottom z-level to be mined out entirely, build a support, channel out the edges, and collapse? Seems a faster way.

This is the method I was going to do for mining out the whole world.  It still takes forever to mine out entire Z-levels though.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 12:52:52 am »

That's a good idea about the double thickness. I will for sure do that.
For embark area I think I'm probably going to use that 3x3 "Most Features" winner that's over on the Worldgen Extreme thread.
Why no love for windows?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 02:43:14 am »

Why no love for windows?

Baby, you know I love you. It goes without saying.

Oh man, that sounds like cheating... However, it's not like I'm really doing anyone (particuarly me) any favors by sitting next to the computer waiting for my dwarves to hollow out the cave. Maybe I should do this to establish the cavern layout I want, and then reclaim with my "real" seven dwarves.
Now I'm conflicted. I want it to look natural, but in my mind what makes it challenging is being able to pull it off while keeping everyone fed and protected.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 02:48:42 am »

I feel that in order for a mega project to be legit you have to play by the rules of the game.  You can use a few exploits (quantum stacking comes to mind) but not requiring your dwarves to eat, sleep, or drink is a little bit excessive.

I'm working on a mega project and I run DF while I surf the web, read, or play another game.  Once you get a mature fort you really don't have to pay attention all the time.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »

As I believe was stated before, 1 trained farmer/cook (who brews with no training) can feed a fortress up to size 20 easily.  I usually add a second somewhere between 20 and 40 - the harder part is actually getting the barrels... 

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »

Yea, cheating is stupid. I don't know what got into me last night.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 02:37:29 pm »

Just a heads up.  I had DF crash on me for the first time last night.  I'm pretty sure it's because I have 188k stone.  I'm going to be spending the next couple of nights having my dwarves haul it around to atom smashers to get rid of it.  It takes at least 2 minutes for me to save my game as it cleans all the objects up.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »

He he i been having a similar idea, its just that my idea is diferent, i wanted to dig out the whole floor and then build a town , i am actually designing an ilumination system using magma (it dosnt really work as dwarves dont need light and magma dosnt really produce light in the game but its just for roleplay :3).

Still your idea sounds better, i cant wait to see the results.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4