Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress  (Read 3376 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:29:27 am »

Damn, this is awesome. I tried doing this, but I sort of lost momentum. I can tell that this fortress won't.

I can FEEEEEEL EET

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:31:44 am »

What should I do with the HFS chamber?

Dig it out without breaking into it. Don't dig out the adamantine, so that it looks like it's hanging. Build a creepy ancient sealed temple around it. That's what I'm planning in one of my forts.

Anyways, this has made me excited. Keep us posted on your progress. I know it will take ages to dig out, because I'm digging out a cave river system underneath my map and I'm in my ninth year and still working.

Yea, I'm going to have a LOT of miners. I'll probably go for the hermetically-sealed approach to siege defense for a good many years so that I can forego metal and military in favor of a massive digging crew. I probably won't try to roll sweet moods at all this time around. Craftsdwarves will be the main approach to building fortress wealth to get immigrants.

Big Question: What will the name of the fort be? I titled the thread Cavern Town but that just doesn't seem right.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:29 am »

Damn, this is awesome. I tried doing this, but I sort of lost momentum. I can tell that this fortress won't.

I can FEEEEEEL EET

I hope you're right. The only thing is I can't actually start on this for awhile as my computer is inaccessible at the moment. I was feeling psyched about it and wanted to get some ideas down on paper and decided to start the thread now.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 04:22:56 am »

Name it Shinineth Istam, "Bright City of Lights."
Just pretend there are lights.
Also, have some columns (natural formation, not built).
And carve windows into the place.
Make it awesome.
You need to use a lot of z-levels for the main cavern.
Good luck with the channeling and stuff.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 05:26:08 am »

I'm working on mining out my entire map for a mega project.  It is taking absolutely forever.  I have maybe 80 miners but the pathfinding is what kills it.  When they all start or finish a section my FPS goes down to 1 as it figures out what to do with all the dwarves.

EDIT:  A thought just occurred to me.  You could designate the whole cavern at once so that you can lay it all out in one go.  But to help with pathfinding FPS issues break up the mining into small sections by undesignating stuff so that the dwarves can't access a section until you want them to.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:35:31 am by Gergination »
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 05:54:58 am »

It also helps if you set speed to 1 for the dwarves. Then the fps drop is negated by the dwarves traveling at mach 10.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 05:59:55 am »

It also helps if you set speed to 1 for the dwarves. Then the fps drop is negated by the dwarves traveling at mach 10.

Um...

I think Dwarves inherent stupidity and complete disregard for safety coupled with the ability to go ten times the speed of sound is a really bad idea.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 06:00:39 am »

I'm working on mining out my entire map for a mega project.  It is taking absolutely forever.  I have maybe 80 miners but the pathfinding is what kills it.  When they all start or finish a section my FPS goes down to 1 as it figures out what to do with all the dwarves.

EDIT:  A thought just occurred to me.  You could designate the whole cavern at once so that you can lay it all out in one go.  But to help with pathfinding FPS issues break up the mining into small sections by undesignating stuff so that the dwarves can't access a section until you want them to.

If you're mining out the entire map, can't you just designate the bottom z-level to be mined out entirely, build a support, channel out the edges, and collapse? Seems a faster way.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 06:01:55 am »

It is a completely stupid and unrealistic idea that completely breaks physics, but hey, this is Dwarf Fortress we're talking about here. Physics is irrelevant.

Um...

I think Dwarves inherent stupidity and complete disregard for safety coupled with the ability to go ten times the speed of sound is a really bad idea.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:06 am »

Just pretend there are lights.
actualy you could make same real city ligths i saw it in a fortress once it was a constructed wall, with magma on it, and around four windows (and four clearglass walls) on the top a clearglass floor. put things like that around the streets on the ground .
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 08:42:22 am »

Undercity. Umm... LightedCaverns
The Infintesimal Torch of Love
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:39 am »

Name it Rock City after the famous tourist trap.

And you could always use Gem Windows to simulate lights, just use something that has a lot of white, yellow, or red in it.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:25:23 am »

Detroit Rock City. Yes.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 10:30:01 am »

Craftsdwarves will be the main approach to building fortress wealth to get immigrants.
Meh. The easiest way to build insane amounts of wealth insanely fast is food. Start growing sweet pods and making dwarven syrup; a proficient cook will be making you approximately "one boatload of dorfbux" per stack, and it only goes up from there.

I'd probably take two growers (make one a cook and one a brewer?) in order to be swimming on food early enough that it stops being a worry.

Big Question: What will the name of the fort be? I titled the thread Cavern Town but that just doesn't seem right.
When in doubt, call it Hammerpants.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 11:41:56 am »

If you're mining out the entire map, can't you just designate the bottom z-level to be mined out entirely, build a support, channel out the edges, and collapse? Seems a faster way.

As I recall, only constructions will disintegrate upon collapse. Rough stone walls will just shuttle downward.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4