Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lava and HFS, and a side question  (Read 1776 times)

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lava and HFS, and a side question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »

You could give iron the [ANY_USE] tag, which would allow you to make iron mechanisms.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

You could give iron the [ANY_USE] tag, which would allow you to make iron mechanisms.

Ah, good.  I'll just use that.  Besides I like the idea of iron gears.  One more step to using my 300+ iron bars clogging up my glass operations. 

And I can pretend my forges are factory-powered by perpetual motion machines.  =P

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:33 pm »

I do wonder why we can't forge gear assemblies out of metal yet. It sounds perfectly reasonable.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »

Interesting... side effect. 

I can now make iron clothing.  =/  Oh well, I'll just close an eye and not use it.  Not like I need more clothing. 

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »

This is a superior quality iron sock. It menaces with spikes of cat bone and microline. It is studded with iron.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 07:51:51 pm »

Seriously, you should use molten rocks.
It gives realistic melting points for rocks AND doesn't require a regen.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »

Not being able to make gears and machine components out of almost anything is unrealistic. 

I'm actually quite confused as to why you should be able to make them out of stone.  Stone would probably be hard to form into the precise (relatively speaking) form that a gear would require.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 09:48:09 pm »

May be a hitch in that plan.  Spirits of fire burn at a much much hotter temperature than magma.  25000 dwarf to be exact. 

Iron has a heat tolerance of only 12600ish.  Even bauxite can only handle around 15000ish Your iron may melt anyway if the spirits of fire can get near them.  Even adamantine barely resists, with the melting point being exactly the temperature a SoF burns at.

Their spec heat should keep it from melting immediately, but I would design it so the spirits spend as little time near the mechanisms as possible.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »

Not being able to make gears and machine components out of almost anything is unrealistic. 

I'm actually quite confused as to why you should be able to make them out of stone.  Stone would probably be hard to form into the precise (relatively speaking) form that a gear would require.

That comes from the REALLY old fashion way of making gears...ie, take as circular an object as you can get and file the teeth into it.  The very early gears probably were stone, for ease of filing.  Now precise metal working when you don't have metal casting is a challenge because you're working with hot metal and a hammer.  Getting precise teeth doing that is next to impossible and you can't file metal unless your file is harder than the metal you're filing.(ie, if you want to file steel, you need an adamantine file)

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »

Things that SHOULD be magma safe. Not just because we say so.

[TEMPERATURE:OFF]

does magically things, things don't melt, and your fps goes up ('specially on my pos computer). But fire still works...
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 10:45:52 pm »

Things that SHOULD be magma safe. Not just because we say so.

[TEMPERATURE:OFF]

does magically things, things don't melt, and your fps goes up ('specially on my pos computer). But fire still works...

If you want to be really realistic, extended submersion in magma won't end well for hardly anything...in fact, most melt when in magma...it IS melted rock.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 09:58:31 am »

If you want to be really realistic, extended submersion in magma won't end well for hardly anything...in fact, most melt when in magma...it IS melted rock.

so rock is now something homogenus :D so do a test, put some whisky in the frigider (the glass making part ...) then later put in it some glass, you will have (and it will still be there later) a liquid(whisky) with an other liquid in it(water) in a non-melted form. Same goes for rocks, if some melt not sure others will in the same temperature ...  now that you know that just take out the whisky and drink it(if you are older then 18 if not just give it to your father ...)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 [2]