Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artefact crossbows and training  (Read 1216 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artefact crossbows and training
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:50:13 pm »

Well, for some reason I have two guys in my crossbow squad who just won't use the things.

One has a fairly valid excuse, he's in bed with a brown spinal injury. Will he recover, or are all spinal injuries permanent?

The other is currently holding a Willow Artefact crosbow, and seems to only be using it to hammer people. He's a High Master Hammerer at the moment. Is this some bug with his weapon, or what?

Thanks

EDIT: And on a cmpletley unrelated note, what does it mean if a name is flashing in the "U" menu? I've usually only seen it on soldiers, but now I have a couple of civilians who are as well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:52:20 pm by Elvin »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artefact crossbows and training
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »

Spinal injuries never heal.

Maybe the hammer-crossbow guy is out of ammo, or he's got something stuck in his hand so he can't fire the bow?
Try making some bone or wood bolts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:58:10 pm »

I have over 1000 bone bolts ( I didn't realise I had quite so many goblins dead in my fortress when I set them to produce)

And the only thing on his right hand is a silk glove and a buckler.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:03 pm »

Regarding spinal injuries: I think the guys with wounds up to brown or even yellow level can actually recuperate. They will still be wounded, but they'll be able to function, but will not spar.

And regarding training: did you remember to designate a range from an archery target? Just putting the targets there won't do you any good.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:10:53 pm »

Soldiers with nervous system injuries will not spar, but will still practice at archery ranges.

What version are you running? I seem to recall there being a bug with hammerdwarves refusing to use their crossbows as crossbows instead of hammers, but if I recall correctly, it's been fixed.

As for flashing names in the Units menu, those units are on fire. You should do something about that. Alternatively, if the units have a blue background, then they're underwater. Also something to be taken care of.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

As for flashing names in the Units menu, those units are on fire. You should do something about that.

Well. Maybe. It depends. :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 03:18:22 pm »

Spinal injuries never heal.

I wonder if we can make a macro for statements like this.

<starts tinkering w/ AutoHotKey>

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 03:24:49 pm »

If the unit is flashing for example gray and a lighter gray or green and a lighter green they are legendary in skills of some sort.

Red and Yellow I believe is on fire or in magma/lava

A solid blue background is underwater.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »

Aha, that explains why most of my soldiers are flashing, as they are all legendary wrestlers at least.

As for the dwarf with the corssbow, I think ill try forbidding this one and see how that works out

EDIT: Oh wait, its na artefact. Dang it. Ca nI assign this guy another weapon or something as well ,or is he stuck with an apparently malfunctioning crossbow? (i'm in 40d11, so I expect the bug mentioned to be fixed)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:30:21 pm by Elvin »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 03:33:22 pm »

Aha, that explains why most of my soldiers are flashing, as they are all legendary wrestlers at least.

As for the dwarf with the corssbow, I think ill try forbidding this one and see how that works out

EDIT: Oh wait, its na artefact. Dang it. Ca nI assign this guy another weapon or something as well ,or is he stuck with an apparently malfunctioning crossbow? (i'm in 40d11, so I expect the bug mentioned to be fixed)

A possible problem could be that they're legendary wrestlers.  I've never seen this documented anywhere, but my experience has been my legendary wrestlers don't like using weapons and would rather wrestle.

As to the crossbow, go into that unit's inventory and mark the crossbow for dumping.  Make sure you have a dump to put it in.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 03:36:06 pm »

Also, they could be holding on to pieces of clothing they grabbed while wrestling. Set their armor preferences to clothes, and they'll drop whatever they're holding.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:48:34 pm »

Go into (v)iew (i)nventory. Then look through his inventory and find something that is in his hand. Like a sock or a steel boot. Then press enter over it and set it to dump. A nearby civilian will haul it away.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 05:21:43 pm »

Ah, I think I might have found the problem. He has a Steel Gauntlet in his hand.

I designated it for dumping, it arrives in the dump. Problem is, he's already picked up another one. I repeat the dumping, and he's gotten a third one.

Is this just going to keep on happening, or will I eventually get him able to actually practice using a crossbow? ( Currently i'm re-allowing the gauntlets as soon as they arrive in the dump, as I'm on a map with NO metal ores at all, so everything I have is imported/nicked from Chaos Dwarves)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 05:25:06 pm »

Ah, I think I might have found the problem. He has a Steel Gauntlet in his hand.

I designated it for dumping, it arrives in the dump. Problem is, he's already picked up another one. I repeat the dumping, and he's gotten a third one.

Is this just going to keep on happening, or will I eventually get him able to actually practice using a crossbow? ( Currently i'm re-allowing the gauntlets as soon as they arrive in the dump, as I'm on a map with NO metal ores at all, so everything I have is imported/nicked from Chaos Dwarves)

Gauntlets count as armor.  They shouldn't prevent use of the hand, but should protect the hand from injury in battle.  I can't say what, but that shouldn't be the problem.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 05:33:59 pm »

They're wearing the gauntlets, not holding them. The problem comes when they're holding somebody else's loincloth or plate mail.

You've got several archery targets, each of them designated as their own room, each of them pointed in a viable direction, correct?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2