Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't I set things on fire (fortress mode)?  (Read 745 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Why can't I set things on fire (fortress mode)?
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

The idea was to smelt a stone hot enough to burn grass, but not hot enough to insta-kill the furnace operator.

As a starting point, I altered a stone to have an ignite point of 10000 (and melt / boil points of 12300 / 13900), but although it was smoking and !!flaming!! it wouldn't even set a stationed dwarf on fire.

There's got to be something basic I'm missing here.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I set things on fire (fortress mode)?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »

The idea was to smelt a stone hot enough to burn grass, but not hot enough to insta-kill the furnace operator.

As a starting point, I altered a stone to have an ignite point of 10000 (and melt / boil points of 12300 / 13900), but although it was smoking and !!flaming!! it wouldn't even set a stationed dwarf on fire.

There's got to be something basic I'm missing here.
The raws temperature scale is weird.
10,000 is actually BELOW ambient temperature, hence it ignited, but is not hot enough to do any damage.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:14:49 pm »

10,000 is actually BELOW ambient temperature, hence it ignited, but is not hot enough to do any damage.
Only DF would create fire that isn't actually hot. ::)

Sorted the problem by creating a deep brittle metal with a fixed temp and ignite point of 15000. That's higher than I'd like, but lower temperatures will burn dwarves and not grass... and then the flaming dwarves set the grass on fire. But even at no skill and default speed a furnace operator can move out of the smelter before the burning starts, so it works out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:51:11 pm »

Only DF would create fire that isn't actually hot. ::)
It's not actually fire if it's !!Item!! -- the item is ignited.
Regular cave temperature is 10067 if I recall correctly.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »

Okay Mister Nitpicky, only DF would ignite an object without setting it on fire.

It was supposed to be that low an ignite point. I wanted to make sure it burned at all before playing with the temperatures. Sodium can catch fire in non-heated air, so it's not that weird to assume that a game with a temperature scale like DF's can model that kind of thing.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:45:41 pm »

It's not sodium that's burning.
2Na + 2H2O -> 2NaOH + H2
It's the hydrogen gas that's burning.  The reaction releases enough energy to ignite it.