Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Artifact recursion!  (Read 4689 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact recursion!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »

If your soldiers aren't heroes or champions and they're THAT badly injured...you might consider discharging them and replacing your military...especially now, with invasions off you have all the time in the world to re-train folk.  Broken limbs are one thing...they might not even have permanent effects.  A mangled head might be a bit much and even if it's not, it'll take excessively long to recover...so long that when it does, that dwarf will be so far behind that he won't have anyone to safely spar with.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »

If your soldiers aren't heroes or champions and they're THAT badly injured...you might consider discharging them and replacing your military...especially now, with invasions off you have all the time in the world to re-train folk.  Broken limbs are one thing...they might not even have permanent effects.  A mangled head might be a bit much and even if it's not, it'll take excessively long to recover...so long that when it does, that dwarf will be so far behind that he won't have anyone to safely spar with.

If any of them can still walk they can become great marksdwarfs or fortress guards.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »

If any of them can still walk they can become great marksdwarfs or fortress guards.

Excellent point...I've never turned my injured into marksdwarves, but the horribly wounded make fantastic fortress and royal guards!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »

Although, now that I look at it again, there might be a very light grey brain injury too - I can't really differentiate that from white without my glasses.
Unless you've modded the body part raw files, then if the brain shows up it's probably been injured.  However, I think bruising will heal regardless of whether it's a nervous part or not.  I seem to recall this happening to one of my dwarves recently.  Either way, bruising doesn't cause a dwarf to be bedridden, so once the mangled head has healed, the dwarf should be fine.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »

Nervous system injuries will NEVER heal.  Not even bruises.

Any dorf with a nervous system injury, no matter how slight, will never ever spar again.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:30 pm »

Any dorf with a nervous system injury, no matter how slight, will never ever spar again.

Will they still fight?  Or are they done with that too?

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 07:19:29 pm »

Or reassign the one you've got.

The problem was that the previous Mayor then became the Captain of the Guard somehow and still wanted nice rooms.  Amusingly, one of the carvings in the new room was of the "Islandequals" claystone idol, just as predicted.   :P

Actually, nearly all of them were Champions.  They somehow all got to Champion status wrestling each other in the barracks while I was engraving the nobles' bedrooms or something.

Thanks, good to know.  What's a good way to keep them from cracking their skulls open while sparring?  Give then wooden weapons?  Don't let them get to Legendary Wrestling before giving them any weapons at all?  Also, is there any way to assign war dogs to Champions?  Going to Preferences just comes up with some message to the effect that this guy is so badass he doesn't have to work anymore.

Anyway, that fortress is history now too - I was experimenting with the surface-level river and trying to see if I could make an aritificial subterranean lake.  I wound up making one artificial surface lake, and then on my second attempt I flooded some important parts of the second underground z-level.  Whoops.  Large numbers of dwarfs and animals drowned while congregating and eating in the dining room, so I abandoned.  I came back to visit with an adventurer, who fell in the water and drowned while trying to fight against the current to get back up to dry land.  Wow, river currents are serious stuff.

My idea was to let the river fill up a pool and then block it off with floodgates and open then and refill as needed, but I couldn't figure out how to get the floodgates in after the bank was breached.  One of my previous fortresses had a river that froze in the winter, so in that case I could have mined in and installed floodgates while it was frozen.  Is it possible at all with an always-liquid river?  People seem to do it with magma, at any rate, which doesn't freeze.  Or is it just a matter of hooking up approximately 43902373 pumps?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 07:47:20 pm »

Let them train to perfect stats like 3x over before giving them weapons.

Then give them silver weapons.  Poor quality silver weapons.

Also, MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE WEARING ALL ARMOR.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »

Let them train to perfect stats like 3x over before giving them weapons.

Then give them silver weapons.  Poor quality silver weapons.

Also, MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE WEARING ALL ARMOR.

Actually that may be a bad idea (the stats thing); unskilled soldiers are apparantly more likely to accidentally do a 'real' attack when sparring, and if they're super-strong then that real attack will splatter the poor bastard all over the room.

It's still up in the air however.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 12:39:59 am »

SuperdwarvenlyUrist:??? I think I felt something.
MASSIVE BOULDER: OW TOO HARD.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 04:14:16 am »

Maybe I should just only recruit Legendary Pump Operators.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 04:26:41 am »

Maybe I should just only recruit Legendary Pump Operators.
I use my clerk as a 1x reserve, subbing him out when he becomes legendary.  But usually, tbh, I just let my recruits wrestle until they become Champions, then give them wooden weaponry from the (shudder) elves.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:12:04 am »

No, wrestlers can dodge anything, anywhere, anytime. Most of the time.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:23 pm »

Now we've all seen artifacts with images of our earlier artifacts...here's a new one.  I started a new fortress and the first artifact was as follows...

"Fashuk Abod, ">The Meanness of Striking", a Tower-cap Harp"
"This is a Tower-cap harp.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encircled with bands of Tower-cap.
On the item is an image of The Meanness of Striking the Tower-cap harp in Tower-cap.
On the item is an image of shining suns in Tower-cap."

I'm not sure if the second image is supposed to mean anything special...but...since when do artifacts have images of THEMSELVES on them!?

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 12:50:30 am »

I've gotten images of artifacts on the artifacts themselves.  Annoying but better than "the dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves".

As for sparring, usually I've had them train up in wrestling then given them weapons.  I had a few injuries, so this fort I switched it and gave them all obsidian swords to start out with.  That was an incredibly BAD idea.  I've already lost 1/4 to 1/3 of my military to sparring-related deaths.  Next time I start up, they're all getting wooden swords.  Do the elves make wooden hammers and such?
Pages: 1 [2] 3