Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Artifact recursion!  (Read 4693 times)

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact recursion!
« on: June 06, 2009, 01:15:47 pm »

"Zushtashmeng Nomes Enen, "Ancientlash the Diversion of Illness", A Claystone bracelet
......"

followed by:

"Gulnastinoth, "Islandequals", a Claystone idol
On the item is an image of Ancientlash the Diversion of Illness the Claystone bracelet in claystone"

I think it's time to turn invasion back on, so they have something non-self-referential to engrave. :P

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact recursion!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 01:19:35 pm »

Just send your military to patrol the river.(if you still have one with no invasions)

Just imagine the images and engravings...
"On the item is an image of Urist McChampion and dwarves screaming in agony surrounded by carp."

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:28:19 pm »

This seems to happen a lot -- for some reason, artifacts get many more engravings of other artifacts than, say, the walls do.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »

Just send your military to patrol the river.(if you still have one with no invasions)

I do actually have a squad (I'm eventually going to turn invasion back on).  Unfortunately I made the mistake of giving them axes and now several of them are sleeping off broken heads.   :-\

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »

This seems to happen a lot -- for some reason, artifacts get many more engravings of other artifacts than, say, the walls do.

I think there is a weighting given to events.  When messing around with artifact generation, I noticed I would get a lot of images relating to the founding of the fort, the ascension of the current (and to a lesser extent, previous) king/queen, and artifacts (more frequent were ones of greatest value).  And only occasionally would I get an image of Urist McCheesemaker's death due to carp, or some obscure event that happened during world gen.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »

I do actually have a squad (I'm eventually going to turn invasion back on).  Unfortunately I made the mistake of giving them axes and now several of them are sleeping off broken heads.   :-\
How is their nervous systems?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:06:52 pm »

I do actually have a squad (I'm eventually going to turn invasion back on).  Unfortunately I made the mistake of giving them axes and now several of them are sleeping off broken heads.   :-\
How is their nervous systems?

Well, actually there's only one with a head injury - the others are all broken limbs, from what I saw.  The head guy has a red head-injury and nothing else - no mentions of brains or spines or anything.  That means it's not permanent, right?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »

Well, actually there's only one with a head injury - the others are all broken limbs, from what I saw.  The head guy has a red head-injury and nothing else - no mentions of brains or spines or anything.  That means it's not permanent, right?

Maybe you've already done this, but have you tried scrolling down using + and - ?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:18:45 pm »

He mangled his head.  Wow. Didn't know you could survive that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »

Maybe you've already done this, but have you tried scrolling down using + and - ?

Yes - I scrolled up and down as far as I could.  Although, now that I look at it again, there might be a very light grey brain injury too - I can't really differentiate that from white without my glasses.

BTW, how do you see what they engrave on the floors and walls in fortress mode?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »

He mangled his head.  Wow. Didn't know you could survive that.
The wife of my legendary recordkeeper in my first fortress was mysteriously hit with a magled head injury, while her husband was slain.  Could've been the thief that had just entered, but never found the body or the thief.  Anyway, she survived, although it a) took 3 years for her to recover and get out of bed b) 3 dwarves died to carp collecting water for her  :-\

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »

Well, I just got another strange mood.  Let's see if it's engraved with the claystone idol engraved with the claystone bracelet.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »

BTW, how do you see what they engrave on the floors and walls in fortress mode?

Loo[k] at an engraving and hit [enter]. You'll get something like: This is an exceptional engraving by Urist McEngraver. It is an image of a Dwarf and Dwarves. The Dwarf is surrounded by the Dwarves.
You can enable all history in Fortress mode by changing it in init.txt: change [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:NO] to [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES]
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »

Loo[k] at an engraving and hit [enter]. You'll get something like: This is an exceptional engraving by Urist McEngraver. It is an image of a Dwarf and Dwarves. The Dwarf is surrounded by the Dwarves.
You can enable all history in Fortress mode by changing it in init.txt: change [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:NO] to [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES]

Thanks - they mostly seem to be pictures of random things, and some history from before the fortress was around.  Neat.

Of course, the game randomly changed the Mayor to be someone else, so now I have to engrave a different office. :P

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 03:02:27 pm »

Or reassign the one you've got.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Pages: [1] 2 3