Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: regarding weapons training and improvised weapons  (Read 1006 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
regarding weapons training and improvised weapons
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:04:26 am »

1. After somewhat developing two characters I've noticed that training wrestling was ridiculously easy, while training a weapon skill was a pain in the ass. Is there a way of speeding this up, or am I stuck at adept sword user for like fucking forever?

[Disclaimer: I probably don't need a higher skill anyway, since organics are dropping like flies as it is, but it would still be nice to be legendary in that thing too; not to mention that this would actually be useful if I ever face something like a BC (which I have no idea about tracking down either).]

2. I think improvised weapons use the wrestling skill, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering if there's any data on damage (amount and type) a non-weapon item does if swung a player; unless there's info about what damage something does based on weight or material, I'm gonna assume that damage done is going to be the same as when using your fists.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: regarding weapons training and improvised weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 02:28:56 pm »

Many people claim that it dramatically increases damage.

Also, swords don't do BCs very well.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »

I've yet to encounter a BC. All in all, the 2 worlds I adventured in have been rather boring; I've seen one dragon, one demon and one cyclops and the rest have been goddamn giants.

So in short, I'll worry about BCs once I get to them. Now I'm more interested in leveling my sword skill (and other weapon skills after that) and I have yet to find a way of doing that quickly. Got any tips on that?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:17:12 pm »

No shortcuts. You'll just have to hit things with it. Things that take a lot of hits to go down and are also incapable of hurting you in any way would be ideal, but I don't think any exist.

Also, if you export information at worldgen, it lists the populations of all the caves. After which you can find the cave in Legend Mode to see where it is. Which makes finding monsters less like exploring a world and more like accounting.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »

The town my current adventurer is from has a BC and a demon right in the neighborhood, sooo I'm playing the grinding game.

One guy reached legendary sword user after I killed wolves for a year in game time. Doesn't get too boring if I watch TV and play or something.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:49:01 pm »

No shortcuts. You'll just have to hit things with it. Things that take a lot of hits to go down and are also incapable of hurting you in any way would be ideal, but I don't think any exist.

That's sort of what I had feared. I might try to score a wooden sword from some elves in hopes of my easy fights taking longer that way, but from what I've seen that's hardly gonna make much of a difference.

I think the biggest problem here is that you don't gain experience per each move as you do when wrestling. Aside from making it harder to level the weapon skills, it also doesn't make a lot of sense. If anything, it should be easier to gain experience when fencing and having your strike parried than when releasing a goddamn hold, due to the difficulty involved.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »

That's sort of what I had feared. I might try to score a wooden sword from some elves in hopes of my easy fights taking longer that way, but from what I've seen that's hardly gonna make much of a difference.

I think the biggest problem here is that you don't gain experience per each move as you do when wrestling. Aside from making it harder to level the weapon skills, it also doesn't make a lot of sense. If anything, it should be easier to gain experience when fencing and having your strike parried than when releasing a goddamn hold, due to the difficulty involved.

Actually there is one thing. Creatures have a [DIFFICULTY] tag with a number in the raws. The higher this number, the higher the exp gained from killing it. Thats why you can jump whole levels by killing a few megabeasts and still be stuck after a billion wolves.

Its possible that you could cheat and add a really high number like [DIFFICULTY:200] to a ground hog and then get up to legendary in a single kill. I'm not sure if it will effect any of the actual stats of the animal or just make it give more exp.

its worth a shot

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

It's possible that you could cheat and add a really high number like [DIFFICULTY:200] to a ground hog and then get up to legendary in a single kill.

I'm gonna give this a shot soon. I won't go over the top as you've suggested, I'd be happy with just getting to legendary as quickly as I would if wrestling.

Also, no offense, but there seems to be a lesson in English class you've skipped. Let Bob give you the Cliff's notes on what I'm talking about:

[I'm aware that the error you keep making is pretty much the opposite of what's being described in that picture, but you get the point.]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:46:55 pm by assimilateur »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

It's possible that you could cheat and add a really high number like [DIFFICULTY:200] to a ground hog and then get up to legendary in a single kill.

I'm gonna give this a shot soon. I won't go over the top as you've suggested, I'd be happy with just getting to legendary as quickly as I would if wrestling.

Also, no offense, but there seems to be a lesson in English class you've skipped. Let Bob give you the Cliff's notes on what I'm talking about:

[I'm aware that the error you keep making is pretty much the opposite of what's being described in that picture, but you get the point.]

Thank you for pointing out a minor gramatical error that doesn't in any way make this difficult to read. Excuse me while I go around pointing out all the missing periods

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:43:20 am »

Maybe I shouldn't have used that comic, because it is rather inflammatory. I meant no offense by pointing out your error; it's just that you type rather neatly in general, so your its-vs-it's problem stood out and I felt the need to point it out. So sue me.

EDIT:

I've tried your suggestion and either I did something wrong, or it doesn't work (at least not without a regen). I gave humans different values (starting at 10 going all the way to 1000) with no noticeable difference in experience across difficulties.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:13:19 am by assimilateur »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:48 am »

Wrong.  "It's" can also mean "It has".  As in "It's gotten outta hand".

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:09:10 am »

I agree. While the point still stands, whoever made that comic should have been more precise in his grammar-nazism.