Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game vs Forums  (Read 2378 times)

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Game vs Forums
« on: June 06, 2009, 04:24:31 am »

I think we all agree that Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. Perhaps even the best.
However, one thing I noticed was that I seem to get more out of reading the forums and enjoying the many things others discover. By yourself you would likely never see something like the many things Dwarf Fortress players found. In that regard I also find myself reading the forums much more than actually playing the game. Does anyone else feel like that?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Game vs Forums
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:34:47 am »

Hmmm, no, I dont. I usualy read the forums whilst playing the game, and I do spend more time playing the game then reading the forums. The forums are more of an addition to the game to me.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:10 am »

I spend more time reading the forums, if only because it's easier to spend five minutes before leaving on the forums than it is in the game.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:42:32 am »

Hmmm, no, I don't. I usually read the forums whilst playing the game, and I do spend more time playing the game then reading the forums. The forums are more of an addition to the game to me.

Quoted for truth (with a couple of fixes).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:46:09 am »

I'm afraid I spend more time on the forums than playing the game nowadays.  Though that is likely to change once the new version comes out. 

All my modding just makes me play the game longing for the new version.
"A grass assassin... In the next version I could actually make a kind of biological metal for their scythes...maybe even make it usable at a forge without having to use itemcorpse...*sigh*" 
Or
"My dracon need more variety.  Maybe in the next version I can make a bunch of different castes for each different dragon type, complete with temperature resistance, sizes, coloration, and non OP breath attacks."

Obviously I end up having difficulty keeping focused on the task at hand with all the modding goodies on the way..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:49:12 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:39:47 pm »

Usually, I've got one or two big projects going...  So I'll visit the forum while waiting on it to complete.  If anything important happens, the game will pause.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »

I am not even playing with DF since ~3+ months, because I am waiting for the new version to be released. Ah well, this is the only forum what I visit each and every day, because I like this community.  :)

Danneh

• Bay Watcher
  • Witty Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:10:02 pm »

I am not even playing with DF since ~3+ months, because I am waiting for the new version to be released. Ah well, this is the only forum what I visit each and every day, because I like this community.  :)

This.

I occasionally will load up DF every now and then. But I just spend 10 minutes or so looking for a great site to build on before I give up. But even if I do find an awesome location, It's only the matter of choosing the right embarking tools/dwarves and not fucking up in the first year and the game becomes wicked easy, even with orc mod and other hostile civs modded in. I just lose interest in any long term prospects at that point.
Quote from:  Forumgoer
Out-of-Context Quote

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »

I play DF a little(right now I am working on a challenge fort:making a luxury hotel).

Mostly I mess around on the forum, and mostly stay in Forum Games.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

Exactly my case as well.

This community kicks ass.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 05:32:21 pm »

I'm doing both. I have the game running at ~6FPS in the background while I browse the forums.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 06:04:15 pm »

I mostly read the forums these days. There are always enough absurd stories to make me laugh and cheer me up.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:42:36 am »

The general consensus seems to be the following:
Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. What makes it perfect though, is the community.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. What makes it perfect though, is the community.

Well, duh, of course that's the consensus on the forums!

I think the community's actually surprisingly immature, considering the depth of the game. Or was, at least- I haven't followed the forums much for a while.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 11:16:51 am »

Well, duh, of course that's the consensus on the forums!

I think the community's actually surprisingly immature, considering the depth of the game. Or was, at least- I haven't followed the forums much for a while.
Depends on if you consider drowning elves and nobles as immature.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: [1] 2