Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner not mining.  (Read 956 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Miner not mining.
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:22:14 am »

I'm playing a small fort of 3 trying to keep it small only children ect ect. But I want to dig into a wall that is just a rough jet wall. And the miner is not doing anything. He as the pick in is right hand, I have tryed turning his labor & designation off and on but nothing is working. Gave the same pick & labor to another dwarf and he started digging. WTF? Why is this dwarf being such an elf?!

Note: He was friends with the 4 dwarfs that I locked out and killed and that hit him rather hard, he had a tantrum but he is ecstatic now.
Also I did take this save (The entire save folder) from a friend's comp. Then put it on mine.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Miner not mining.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:48:55 am »

Does he have No Job or is he On Break? What's his current job status?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:07:22 am »

Have you tried designating another mining job elsewhere?   Like, designate a channel close to him and be ready to cancel it straight away if he heads towards it.

'Cos it may simply be a pathing issue...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:09:12 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:05:36 am »

Does he have No Job or is he On Break? What's his current job status?
It's 'No Job' I have tryed making him a part of the army then back to civ and nothing.

Have you tried designating another mining job elsewhere?   Like, designate a channel close to him and be ready to cancel it straight away if he heads towards it.

'Cos it may simply be a pathing issue...

No it can't be a pathing issue because the other dwarf got to it with no prob.

It's like he is on strike or somthing. xD

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 03:24:49 am »

There are only a few things I can recommend without very specific information, so I'll list them. If you've tried the stuff already, bear with me.

1. Disable mining on the dwarf you enabled the labor for so he'll drop the pick.
2. Disable and enable the mining labor for your original miner. Sometimes weapon preferences can get screwed up, enabling the labor should clear it up. Make sure that he's both unarmed and has his mining labor enabled in order to properly use a pick.
3. Make sure he's not throwing tantrums, as dwarves throwing tantrums do not work. If he is throwing a tantrum, he should be flashing a yellow exclamation point..
4. Make sure your expedition leader is available to conduct meetings. The miner may need to meet with the leader about his tantrums, although this isn't likely if he does not have the 'Attend Meeting' job.

Without more information, these are the only guidelines I can give you. Hopefully, they'll solve the problem, but if they don't, I don't know what to tell you.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 06:40:59 am »

Not 100% sure on this one, but... Does he have one of these as part of his personality profile?...

* often does the first thing that comes to mind
* acts impulsively
* always acts without considering alternatives or thinking through possibilities

* Very rarely does more work than necessary.
* Does the bare minimum necessary to accomplish the task at hand.

I've seen dwarfs with some of those decline clear job opportunities, just standing there and ignoring them with the "No Job" label. (Not 100% sure as to the correlation, keeping an eye on it. Haven't actually done hard comparisons.)

Or (and this is a shot in the dark), did you perhaps give your miner the Wood Cutting labor? Because he can't have both that and Mining. (and "mining" is highlighted when you open that menu - I've missed the fact that I de-activated it before.)

If none of those, see if he'll do anything - some hauling or some other labor. If not, sounds like a bug. If so... dunno.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:17:31 am »

Did your friend's comp have any mods installed that you don't have?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.