Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Query on magma-induced brush fires.  (Read 1474 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Query on magma-induced brush fires.
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »

Fire imps bring an uncertainty into what could be otherwise an entirely reliable operation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 06:14:15 pm »

Indeed. Plus, it would involve tempting the last of the little blighters out the pipe and into a cage trap. I've been trying to exterminate the buggers.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 05:20:42 am »

Hrmm... Have them set up in turrets around the perimetre of your fortress. Have walls facing inwards so they cant light up hostiles in the courtyard, and fortifications so your deadly, and very difficult to tame imps dont get arrowed too easily and watch as they torch your enemies. Imp's arent tameable are they? Be neat if they were modded to be so. Heh... Flame turrets...
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 08:10:36 pm »

Let me clear up a few misconceptions.

Magma itself won't ignite grass. You'll need a source of fire. A piece of charcoal is easy to obtain, and it will ignite quickly when you pour magma on it. I recommend a controlled source of magma, like one 7/7 tile that will dump only 1/7 magma on the charcoal.

Brush fires will spread very quickly, and they'll burn everything they can in a few minutes. Any creature that passes through them will be unharmed. I've had an elf caravan walk through a wall of fire without igniting, much to my dissatisfaction. Likewise, I've dwarves haul things through the fire and they came out unharmed. Anything that tarries around in the fire will be burned to death, though, like goblins sieges. Or dwarves in a booze stockpile.

Brush fires will not spread z-levels. Ever.
My first world-fire spread up z levels. I watched it burn out one level without touching the one above it as it crept along the ground and though "Ok, I've still got some living flora once it's safe to go back out" but before the base level fire had gone out it managed to start some fire in the area above my entrance. This is way away from the pipe so I can exclude imps being the cause.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 08:14:36 pm »

Can you exclude flaming creatures, for example, dwarves or animals, from spreading the fire to another level?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:00 am »

Can you exclude flaming creatures, for example, dwarves or animals, from spreading the fire to another level?
No dwarves but I can only say a burning deer would be unlikely.

Still, if animals are gonna run around catching multiple z levels on fire you probably ought to mention that when you say fire will never jump z levels.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]