Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Request for a pre-built fortress  (Read 3386 times)

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request for a pre-built fortress
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:26:58 pm »

I've been into df on and off for about a year now, and I always end up quitting because all my effort is taken up by managing the food supply of a fortress. What I would really like to do is be able to focus on stuff like construction (you know, the usual insane projects), while having my fortress be relatively self-sufficient. So I am requesting that someone get a fortress going, then zip and upload the results. I'm sure this would be handy to more than just me. If someone happens to be bored and feels like doing this, that would be awesome! (Preferably for the 40d11 version).

Fortress wish-list:

area:
  • roughly a 3x3 area, (can be larger or smaller, doesn't matter that much, as long as it isn't gigantic)
  • moderate climate (no freezing if it can be helped)
  • a river would be awesome for use in indoor water works
  • lava is always good (kill the fire imps if you can :P)
  • lots of trees, i want to make some heavy-duty machinery stuff (a tower-cap farm would be insanely cool)
  • any amount of sand would be really awesome, for the infinite block-making capabilities and whatnot
  • other good qualities (optional): flux, hfs, bottomless pit)

fortress details:
  • MOST IMPORTANT: indoor (or outside and walled) food supply set up, plump helmets are easiest, i think. I would really like to start out self sufficient and not have to worry about this ever again
  • some method to make sure dwarfs aren't ever thirsty, whether that be an indoor well (i want them relatively safe), or a nice booze factory
  • secure entrance (ideally a tunnel into the side of a mountain, with a door or two in front that can be locked
  • 20+ (non-busy) dwarves would be good, that way I don't have to wait around for immigrants to build towers and stuff

That's basically it. I just want a fairly bare bones, self-sufficient, base-of-operations from which I can explore the rest of the map and not have to worry about micro-managing the food details. I hope this request seems reasonable, all you'd have to do is get the fortress to this state, then upload it (before it's all explored), then you can go right back to playing. :)

So if anyone wants to do this, or knows of a save for this that already exists, please let me know. Thanks!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Request for a pre-built fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

I advise either 1. do it yourself you lazy scum, or 2. look through http://dffd.wimbli.com/ for forts already done in the fashion you like.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »

Thank you for the link.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:41:12 pm »

and sorry for the insult but really its kind of rude to just ask for stuff like that. its kind of like going up to a painter and saying "paint a picture of me for free right now...   what are you waiting for get started!". rephrase things like that so that they sound nice and people will react nicer.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:53 pm »

I did try to phrase is as nicely as I could, I apologize if it came off as demanding. This was supposed to be a humble request.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:51:26 pm »

at least now you know. in case you don't what came off as demanding was that you state along the lines that you could do it you just get bored before to long and want someone else to spend time you can't be bothered with making something to a whole list of specifications.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:30 pm »

I see how it might come off that way. In truth, I am just not very good at Dwarf Fortress, otherwise I would have done this myself a long time ago. I always hit some stumbling block and lose my fortress. I just don't have fun losing repeatedly (despite the famous motto...). I was just hoping that someone who was going to start a new fortress would see this and send me a copy of their save once they established a foothold. My "specifications" are just a wish list; stuff that would be cool to have. I'm not exactly in a position to specify anything, since I'm the one asking. Sorry again for coming across like a jackass.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »

If you don't mind me using the Mayday tileset, i can do this if you like.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:05 pm »

I don't mind at all, that would be totally awesome!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »

Am I the only one that thinks starting out is the most fun part?  Barring invasions or various disasters(most of which are player caused), after you setup a stable fortress, you're sitting pretty.  People do the megaconstructions because they've run out of challenging things to do.

And you mentioned that one of the reasons you want to do this is because you aren't very good at DF.  There's nothing wrong with using an existing fortress, but use not just for the megaconstructions.  Use it as a stable platform to help you learn the game.  Then start a new fortress and keep it going until the goblins destroy it.

And remember, you requests come in the form of pure text.  EVERYTHING comes off in the worst possible way; kindof like you probably think I'm being harsh when I'm trying to be as subtle as possible.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:25 pm »

I find starting the most fun part too, which is why i'm happy to do this.

Btw, how big do you want the site to be at max? I can get a much better site at 5x5 or 6x6 than at 3x3 for example; and getting all those features and lots of trees in a 3x3 is going to be really difficult.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:57:14 pm »

5x5 or 6x6 should probably be fine (the smaller the better though). Thanks so much for doing this!

Edit (missed Stargrasper's post):
I am definitely hoping to see from this save what makes a fortress stable. I have thought multiple times that I had it figured out, and was totally wrong. Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:00:38 am by Kwilco »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 12:45:01 am »

Edit (missed Stargrasper's post):
I am definitely hoping to see from this save what makes a fortress stable. I have thought multiple times that I had it figured out, and was totally wrong. Thanks for the advice.

Well, since Neruz is working on your save and I might just feel compelled to make one for you myself(if I get bored, basically), maybe you might be interested in telling us what you've been thinking and trying to make a stable fortress.  We can then figure out what you're doing and give appropriate advice.  Learning on your own from the saves works, but it's easier if you have someone to point out exactly what makes it stable and where you might consider going from there.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:09 am »

Got a 5x5 with 5 squares of heavily forested broadleaf forest, sand, magma pipe, 1 square of UG river, 8 squares of brook, bottomless pit and HFS. A fair amount of sedimentary so a good chance of getting Magnetite, but no flux unfortunately.

If i make it 6x6 i can get some chasm and an underground pool, as well as another square of UG river.

I'll gen a few more worlds and see if i can top this one. Otherwise this looks like the goer.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14:25 am »

Neruz:
Sounds awesome! I tried embarking on a 5x5 (which used to be pretty slow on my computer), but the mayday version is getting me 100 FPS. Is this a result of the switch to SDL/OpenGL?

Stargrasper:
Okay, well one of my big problems is always balancing food production/consumption with alcohol production/consumption. It seems like I always produce alcohol faster than my food supply is increasing, so when I auto-make alcohol, it cuts through my food supply really fast, and a lot of time I don't catch that. Is there any way to make this easier, without constant micromanagement? Or am I doomed to that?

To be honest, that's all I can think of at the moment. It's been about 7 months since I seriously sat down and tried to do a fortress. I'm hoping to get back into it for the summer, since I am stuck in the middle of nowhere for 3 months.

I just downloaded that mayday version to see what it was like, and wow, its about 10 times faster than what I was running last summer. I can't wait to see what a decent fortress actually looks like, I have a feeling I just don't really get the basics, I always try for crazy projects too early on I think.

Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1] 2