Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: industrial squads  (Read 454 times)

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
industrial squads
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:29 pm »

I'm relatively new to DF, but I've survived sieges and set up industry in various locales.

Anyhow, I'd like to suggest industrial squads that allow the mass assignment of labor detail, to make it easier to turn on/off hauling and other labors for groups of dwarves. This could be implemented as follows:

Hit I to go to industry management.  From here we can create industrial squads without any dwarves in them, and then set the labor profile for each squad.  I would have a mining/military reserves squad, a farming agricultural squad, a furnace/woodburning/glassmaking squad, etc.  Then, when a dwarf is assigned to a squad his labor profile is automatically set to the squad's profile. 

This way when I get 20 new peasants/soap/lyemakers in a group of migrants I can assign half to mining/masonry/pumping and several to milling/processing, while my fisherdwarves get all activated for process/dissecting/fishing, etc.

This would greatly reduce the amount of micromanagement required for processing new migrants, and also allow one to quickly see their labor designations - currently there is no distinction between assigned and unassigned peasants.

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Manager
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »

So, after some random reading somebody mentioned Dwarf Manager.  It looks like exactly what I want, so I'll give it a shot.  I can't believe I managed hundreds of dwarves individually rather than using this useful tool...

Any other suggestions for management options?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: industrial squads
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »

Dwarf Manager indeed does this. I have 3 "castes" of dwarves.

There are the general laborers. These guys do all of the farming labors, as well as woodcutting, furnace working, and pump operating. They're expendable and plentiful and the backbone of the fortress.

Craftsdwarves perform all crafts, including carpentry and glass making.

Stoneworkers are my builders. They do mining, masonry, stone detailing, architecture, and engineering.

Metal workers are treated like nobles. They perform no other jobs except for their particular type of metal working, and have lavishly furnished rooms, offices, and tombs.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: industrial squads
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 02:05:16 am »

But does DM work under 40d11?

Nothing else seems to.  Yet.  Well... the last time I looked, anyway.   ::)
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)