Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More on Grizzly bears  (Read 1162 times)

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More on Grizzly bears
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:00:17 am »

I have a tame Grizzly bear that I bought from elves.  I did a search and checked wiki but I am still not sure if I should let it out of the cage.

The wiki says they like to drink, but how much can a Grizzly dink?  I have plenty of booze, so I am just curious really.

Another thing: will a tame bear still attack other tame animals like my hedgehogs or horses?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: More on Grizzly bears
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:48 am »

It's tame, it won't drink your booze or attack your animals. :P

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:18:59 pm »

damn now I want a booze swilling bear...
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:48 pm »

Don't tame it.

Dump the occasional barrel of gutter cruor over the side into a pit where it's followed by kobolds - a real bear pit - very dwarvy.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:48:27 pm »

yeah i just released all my pets. from the 4 giant jaguars, i got 6 cubs. WIN!

i now have a workable giant jaguar (or leopard, i forget) meat/bone/leather farm. seriously, elves gave me these. i almost feel bad in 1-2 more years i will rape them with artifact adamantite weapons. and i know it will happen. while chopping trees my cutters got ambushed by kobolds. i insta-recruited them, and although there were naked, they made it out untouched, with kobold limbs and head flying 10-15 spaces in random directions. why, you ask? artifact adamantite battle axes. and they have cleared the map of tress 3 times over in 22 years, so they have mid-range axe ability. epic. i love this game, can you tell? lol

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:50:07 pm »

and they have cleared the map of tress 3 times over in 22 years, so they have mid-range axe ability.

These two statements are not related.  :P

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:18:51 pm »

*sigh* ok to elaborate b/c some ppl may find what i said to be nonsensical:

i have 5 dwarves. they have axes. in 22 years, they have cleared (or chopped everything down) on my entire map 3 times over (chop down area, wait a long time, grows back, chop down again). by doing so, they have gained axe ability in the range of skilled or great (something midrange).

better?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »

No no, I think he means, woodcutting doesn't give skill in axes, at least, not from what I remember.
To the wiki!

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »

huh, you know what? i think you are right. their axe ability hasnt changed in a long time.

i stand corrected.

*tip of the hat*

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 06:12:22 pm »

No no, I think he means, woodcutting doesn't give skill in axes, at least, not from what I remember.
To the wiki!

I remember reading somewhere on the wiki that woodcutting and mining act as a skill modifier for battleaxes and picks, respectively.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »

Nope. Only for picks. Axes have their own skill.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14:28 am »

Skill with axes is only affected by the axeman skill. Cutting down trees does not affect the axeman skill, only the woodcutting skill.

I remember reading somewhere on the wiki that woodcutting and mining act as a skill modifier for battleaxes and picks, respectively.

If this is on the wiki, then it needs to be changed, because it is incorrect.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 01:29:20 am »

Skill with axes is only affected by the axeman skill. Cutting down trees does not affect the axeman skill, only the woodcutting skill.

If this is on the wiki, then it needs to be changed, because it is incorrect.

Never claimed my memory to be perfect, I just had a feeling I read that before. Could very well have been wrong.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 07:04:42 am »

die - I understood you the first time; Smew had it right.

But Armok knows that it's easy to get something in all the detail confoozled.

Fighting w/ axes is governed by the Axedwarf skill, a military skill.  Wood cutting does not benefit from nor improve combat skill with an axe. (But any with the "cut wood" labor enabled, whether they're cutting wood or not, is certainly better off from having some axedwarf skill, since he's got that axe in his hand all the time!)

Miners, when drafted and told to fight "unarmed", will use their Mining skill to fight with their pick.  Picks are unpredictable weapons - they have low damage but a high (+2) critical Pierce boost, meaning anything can happen.  And that includes getting stuck in the target, when having high Strength and wrestling become important.