Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some smelter questions, some other questions.  (Read 858 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Some smelter questions, some other questions.
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:34:31 am »

Im thinking about trying my luck at modding for some time, and have come up with a few ideas of things I would like to make, but the thing is: im not quite sure if they are possible, as I dont have a very good idea of what I can and what I cant do, specifically with smelter reactions. Hence this thread; Individualy testing everything of which im not sure it works would be tedious and timeconsuming.

The first thing I was wondering about, is whether I can make catalists (for those who dont know the basics of chemistry, a catalist is a reagen which is used, but not consumed by its reaction).
The reaction I had in mind is:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:Make gold from lead... maybe]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:LEAD]
[REAGENT:1:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[PRODUCT:50:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[PRODUCT:50:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_SUBTYPE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:PLANT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]
[FUEL]
Please tell me what would, and what wouldnt work.

Another thing I wondered whether there is any way to make a reaction need either reagent A or reagent B.
Also, what can I do with wood? Is it only density I can change, or could I also change color, flamability, etc?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Some smelter questions, some other questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:47:14 am »

catalyst
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:01:37 am »

Good morning.

Making a catalyst reaction is actually quite easy. Just make sure your catalyst material is listed as BOTH a reagent AND a product of the reaction. What goes in comes right back out! Reactions don't care if what they do is in any way logical, there is no concept of conservation of mass, etc. You can make a reaction that consumes material and produces nothing as easily as one that consumes nothing yet produces a pile of platinum bars.

Rochndil, who does something similar in the MMO...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:41 am »

One quick comment: your reaction doesn't have a 50/50 chance to produce gold or ash. They each have independent 50% chances of appearing, so the odds are more like:
25%: nothing
25%: just gold
25%: just ash
25%: gold and ash
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:21:44 am »

Unfortunately, it's not possible to define a use Reagent A OR Reagent B in a smelter reaction.  But, you can create two separate reactions that each have one of the two reagents.  Hate to mention my own work, but the Magic Mod I just released has a ton of examples of what can be done with reactions.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:16 pm »

Ok, thanks for the answers  ;)

Unfortunately, it's not possible to define a use Reagent A OR Reagent B in a smelter reaction.  But, you can create two separate reactions that each have one of the two reagents.  Hate to mention my own work, but the Magic Mod I just released has a ton of examples of what can be done with reactions.
Hm, I hope Toady implements that in the near future. Anyways, I will download that mod of yours, its looks pretty interesting so I might even make a fort with it  ;D

ps. hm, right, so it wasnt catalist after all. Wasnt educated in english, so those words in english are a bit confusing. Especialy with weird inconsistent english spelling.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:53 pm »

ps. hm, right, so it wasnt catalist after all. Wasnt educated in english, so those words in english are a bit confusing. Especialy with weird inconsistent english spelling.

an EXTREMELY simplified and mostly innaccurate evolution of the english language is as follows: first it was a jewish language, then it emigrated to greece and had Vowels added, as hermetic scripts (jewish scripts basically) has no vowels, they were all consonants (which is why the jewish name of god is debated sometimes, as it is spelt yhwh, most people call it yahweh, but it could even be yahoo-wahoo, nobody knows how it was pronounced) as well as words form tons of other languages, from greece it became latin and from latin it became english, with about a quarter of a  billion words added in the wake of colonialism during the industrial revolution and the british empire, and several new dialects created due to the split between american and british english (which is the reason both neighbour and neighbor are acceptable spellings of the word)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:18:16 pm by LordBaxter »
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14:38 am »

Pff...

Everyone knows that English is an indo-iranian language, so no, it does not come from Jewish.

The alphabet, yes, they came from semitic sources, but that one is phoenicians.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 03:10:36 am »

Pff...

Everyone knows that English is an indo-iranian language, so no, it does not come from Jewish.

The alphabet, yes, they came from semitic sources, but that one is phoenicians.

yes, it DID come from the phoenicans

but one sec, where did the phoenicans come from?

well, the word is descended from the greek word for purple, because most of the worlds exceedingly rare purple dye came from there.

the country is also named according to another language's word for purple

the alternate name is canaan,

the phoenicans were hebrew

or to be more specific, Canaanites