Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Human Siege= Pansies  (Read 1625 times)

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Siege= Pansies
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:04:40 am »

So, I'm playing a relatively airtight fort (only allowing replacements for the original 7 in, everyone else starves to death (except the children born in my fort, who stay) and allowing dwarven trading).

The humans showed up long ago,  right about the time that an orc siege did.

Human diplomat and traders.

And they've sieged every year since.  I finally decided to use my migrants,  and drafted one to confront the human menace (still not allowed inside though).  I expected an awesomely short battle.

But no,  the humans ran.  Even the Macelord,  on his trusty steed.  They scattered like a flock of pigeons before this starving, depressed, dehydrated, unarmored and unarmed Novice Metalcrafter.

What gives?

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Re: Human Siege= Pansies
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:10:07 am »

The explanation I've heard is that the humans are hostile siegers, but their horses aren't, and will get spooked by your Dwarves.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:12 am »

That makes me sad. 

Oh well.  Just wait for them to leave,  I guess.  I had hoped they'd prevent migrants,  but no such luck.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:27:14 pm »

If you have any military, they can chase down the mounts and their riders. War dogs/animals you trained may be able to do the trick, too.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:11:54 pm »

If you get a mechanic immigrant at some point, you could build a mechanic's workshop, then build cage traps to trap horses.  When humans are trapped, use your other starving migrants to take them out of their cages.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »

Wait a moment...have you tired seeing if hunters will actually hunt the horses?
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »

The explanation I've heard is that the humans are hostile siegers, but their horses aren't, and will get spooked by your Dwarves.
That's hilarious.

Give horses the [NOFEAR] tag and see what happens next siege.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »

In my current fortress I've encountered a human siege for the first time, after several other types of battles.

First battle was an encounter with the local antmen who threw my expedition leader down a chasm.
 Second was a kobold ambush. They killed one of my dwarves and wounded a few others before being defeated.
Third was a rampaging pirate thief (custom civ/creature) that destroyed several structures.
Fourth was an orc siege (Orc mod); they wiped out most of my military.
Fifth battle was a goblin ambush, thwarted by a single dwarf.
Sixth was another goblin ambush, they killed a dwarf.
Seventh was a third goblin ambush.
Eigth was an orc siege that nearly exterminated the dwarves in my fortress, but after a long guerilla war the dwarves triumphed.
Ninth was a 2 prong pirate attack that killed several dwarves and led to some building destruction.
All the while my dwarves were harrassed by skeletal woodland creatures outside the base.

Tenth was a human siege. The lamest battle of them all. The humans began their assault by milling about the edge of the region for a season, attacking the occassional zombie fox, and making no attempts to approach my base. Eventually they entered my base, were halted by a door and, well I'm just going to copy and paste my notes of the event:
*Heh, with the new fortifications I built, the humans were stopped at the entrance. Now once my crossbowdwarves are done with their booze break, they can pelt the humans at their leisure

*after their break, the marksdwarves returned to their posts, killed a few humans, and then returned to drinking booze. Meanwhile, the humans are stupidly milling about my entrance

*took a few more dead humies, but they eventually got the message and fled

------------------------------

Go humanity!  :-\

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:29 pm »

Has anyone tried allowing giant eagles or other flying creatures as cavalry?

Or fire imps  ;D.  That would be hilarious.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 05:20:48 pm »

it may looks easy now, but wait til you get a bow squad.  They'll ride close enough to get a shot off, then run.  Over and over again.

Unless your doors are tighly closed.  Then they'll just sit there, wondering how to open them.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:47 pm »

Yeah. One dragon killed a WHOLE SIEGE-until he decided that the guys on horses with bows looked good for a snack. Cue dead dragon.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »

Mongolian horse-archers!

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 08:09:36 pm »

Mongolian horse-archers!

heh, someone should mod in a seperate race identical to the people, but make them the most badass archers second only to the elfs (or equal too)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:10 pm »

Remove or unbracket [BENIGN]. That'll give the horses a little bit more stomach for combat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »

But the question is, would removing that tag suddenly make wild horses thirst for the blood of Urist?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: [1] 2