Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New designation: Fill in  (Read 1849 times)

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
Re: New designation: Fill in
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 12:45:16 am »

Designate compost!
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 03:05:02 am »

Artificial walls look different from natural ones and don't cover the rock behind them

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 03:12:02 am »

I still think dwarfs should have a way of repairing stone so that it's unidentifiable as anything but natural.

I say, give them a taste of the supernatural, in this. They'd still have to put the work in--maybe a lot more than in creating holes, but it would be a nice feature, and would pave the way for repairing the damage from tunneling seigers.
For they would be your masters.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »

It also fits in with the idea of the hidden bastions of the dwarves-which is pretty common in fantasy. One does not simply waltz into the mountainhome-one has to figure out where the place IS in the first place! It should, however, take a very long time for even a legendary dwarf to do, and should be part of either masonry or engraving-or require both. Something like that is a work of legend, to say the least.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:42 pm »

Making it a kind of secret passed down the generations also would offer the possibility for it to become a lost art at some point in history. Passing it from legendary stoneworker to legendary stoneworker only, for dwarfs only, would keep it exclusive. Maybe that's something for steel also.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

It also fits in with the idea of the hidden bastions of the dwarves-which is pretty common in fantasy. One does not simply waltz into the mountainhome-one has to figure out where the place IS in the first place! It should, however, take a very long time for even a legendary dwarf to do, and should be part of either masonry or engraving-or require both. Something like that is a work of legend, to say the least.

I would like to be able to fill in areas already dug/channeled out.  Even though constructed walls would be made from bricks and blocks of stone, the facing sides of these stones would be extremely smooth.

I just went to the park today, and the stone grilling area was constructed from large granite blocks with concrete or something similar used for mortar.  The surface of the actual bricks was nearly mirror smooth, and the only rough areas were the mortar cracks and a very small number of rough granite blocks.  This was built by human beings, but I have no doubt whatsoever in my head that dwarves have perfected a mechanism to have concrete or mortar for their one walls, and have it applied in such a natural manner that even their mortar cracks are smooth!

My point with the long-winded previous paragraph is that constructed walls, stairs, doors, etc. should easily be smooth enough to engrave upon.  However, a continuous corridor of naturally smooth stone is an impressive sight to see engraved.  A natural cavern or hall, hewn smooth by the skilled hands of the dwarves, should definitely be extremely higher quality than engraved constructed walls.

Also, filling in with soil and clay and loam would be very neat.  There's another thread that has been floating around about pottery, and seeing clay and soil collected in bags like sand is epic win.  What you do with those materials: gardening, crafts, etc. is just added bonus for them.
Computer says 'No'.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 05:51:48 pm »

soil our dwarfs had gathered, and then improved by adding things like crushed charcoal, potash, pottery shards, dried leaves and vegetable matter, earthworms, stale beer, etc.
Sounds similar to compost to me.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »

Jaybud4: You're a genius!

Soil, as it is in the game, could be turned into compost (good name for it), via a "reaction" that involves mixing stuff and things into it, and thereby making it more fertile.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 01:46:56 am »

Hrm, so what was wrong with my suggestion then? ;-P
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 02:01:59 am »

Hrm, so what was wrong with my suggestion then? ;-P
Nothing at all, except I couldn't think of the word, and his post was closer than your post.  :P
Pages: 1 [2]