Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Formations  (Read 5552 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Formations
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »

Whatever it takes for polearms to stop being useless. Not that dwarves can use them

Agreed.

While I'd agree that there are some thematic arguments against dwarfs making extensive use of polearms, there's no mechanical or physiological reason (that I'm aware of) for dwarfs not using them.

Those aforementioned arguments could be enhanced if dwarfs could concretely be said to have different body structures than (short) humans, however. Admittedly, this is a self-serving point, since dwarfs being other than human is a topic I'm fond of, but it still could be used to explain much in the game.

One initial question to ask is whether dwarfs are too broad in the chest to effectively manage 2-handed weapons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:51:47 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »

One initial question to ask is whether dwarfs are too broad in the chest to effectively manage 2-handed weapons.

Maybe a greatsword (where hands are relatively close together), but I don't think  a polearm or spear would be out of order.

In fact, I would say that spears and tridents would be dwarven weapons in particular.  (Stabbing weapons being better than swung weapons in a tight tunnels)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 03:35:50 pm »

But swinging is better than stabbing in the grand Dwarven halls...

I picture dwarves being short and broad chested, so polearms would only be suitable if the dwarves stood fully sideways, while two handed weapons could be swung with both hands out in front. Given that dwarves are supposedly stronger than humans, using all kinds of long weapon with one hand may not be out of the question.

Great weapons should be off limits based mainly on center of gravity. Human CoG is higher up, and makes for better swings with certain weapons.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]