Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hanging/Gallows  (Read 9043 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hanging/Gallows
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »

Before the Hammerer comes they dwarven method of dispensing fatal justice should be the gallows. What crime punishable by death should be the current sheriffs opinion and before him, the expedition leader. Depending on the popularity of the criminal the hanging could be a crowd pleasing event or a depressing one. The gallows would be built like a well except without water underneath. Needed would be a block, rope, mechanism, at least a 1 z level hole and lever.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging/Gallows
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:05 pm »

Not dwarven enough... how about the noose is long enough to span almost to the bottom of the pit it is place above.

Like a small drop equal strangulation, and a large drop is most likely decpitation... but you are still able to collect the skull.

But then there is the fear tactics this can be used for, like hung people can be hung from the fortresses outer keep. To clarify how this'd work, imagine seeing dead bodies hanging from the cat walks of a fortress.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:21 pm »

Dwarfs [ABUSE_BODIES]?
*checks* Only goblins tagged so.

Might feel more dwarfy to me to have some sort of smash-machine. Drop a rock slab, have it pulleyed back up, sweep pulp&bones out[optional] toss next condemned in...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:25:27 pm »

Hmm.. dwarven torture chambers sound funfun, actually.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:03:31 am »

Hanging someone from a tree, with a hemp rope, considering that it doesn't draw any blood, seems almost...elvish to me...  Especially if they're left to rot, in the process feeding the tree they're hung from. Sure, it's a Viking method, but it seems like it would be very thematic for elves, in a Universe that's based on Norse myth.

Also: The noose and the gallows-dirt could both be collected for magical purposes, once the Magic Arc gets here.
For they would be your masters.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:04:08 am »

How about being able to dig a small pit and placing a dwarf in there than slowly placing rocks on top of said dwarf untill it either suffocates or is crushed by the weight.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:06:06 am »

How about being able to dig a small pit and placing a dwarf in there than slowly placing rocks on top of said dwarf untill it either suffocates or is crushed by the weight.

Isn't that what they used for Witch Trials?

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:31 am »

Dwarven execution should consist of the dwarfs beard being cut, then bound and lowered into a pit of magma in a cage.

Like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Kali Ma!

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »

I'm all for having different execution methods for different races, but why should/would Dwarves need gallows? Yea, gallows makes sense for humans, maybe even elves, but dwarves? Come on. It's the Hammer! Always has been.

The whole point is that there IS no justice before the hammerer shows up. It's the dynamic difficulty scale, Game Design 101. As you do well your population grows and you're met with new challenges.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »

I like the idea of the pit with the rocks on top, except wouldn't that be something a dwarf would enjoy?

That seems more like-an admittedly extreme-form of dwarf physical therapy, than a method for execution.

It might be something dwarfs would do to other species, though.

For dwarfs though, if it were me I'd either drown them, or stake them out in the sun.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:59 pm »

FWIW, the only Elven execution in Tolkien is by throwing off a cliff.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

Sunken--You're right, and because of that I'm sure we're all very glad the game's not based on Tolkien.  8)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 04:29:14 pm »

Dwarves are like worms... They eat earth all day long and crap it out. Seeing as poop isn't going to be implemented, burying a dwarf is useless if it's slow... drop a mountain on the offender!

Or just go and drop him in magma... I say we strap 'em to a table and drip water on his forehead until he dies.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

I'd see either the Hammerer, a crossbow execution, or a magma dubk as dwarvenly.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

Dwarves use hammerings. There's no need for additional methods

Being able to choose from a variety would be nice for modding though
Pages: [1] 2 3 4