Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality marking display and preferences on Artifact-Moods (separately)  (Read 938 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

It has been argued before that unskilled dwarfs turning to woodworking as often as stonecraft or bonecraft (and ne'er anything else) doesn't feel dwarfy. A proposed solution for this is to give bias to a dwarf's preferences when they get a mood (either only if unskilled, or just as another factor) in determining what they make. And, since dwarfs are stone_pref and metal_pref, this will mean they'll probably make something out of those, and if the dwarf likes short swords and steel, it'd be more likely for them to make a steel short sword. If they like things, they know something about them (see: prefstring), so it'd make as much sense as the 1-job dabblers picking that job o'er crafts.

Decoration indicators got changed already, but if we get material qualities too especially, this may be a confusing way of rendering. So, if you get a masterfully decorated with spikes, finely crafted  shortsword, of superior steel, rather than

☼«*«+steel shortsword+»*»☼

or similar, how it'd probably be done now, it'd be a

☼spiked☼ *steel* +shortsword+

Preferably with options to hide them, as this probably o'erruns the small border in textlength.

(For multiple decorations, it would default to "decorated", with howe'er it determines decoration quality displayed presently when multiple are. Or, in long form, ☼spiked☼ *studded* ≡jewel-bedecked≡ cedar left earring, as yet another option)

edit: fixed link.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Decorations will probably eventually made a bit more complex than just a list of preset decor like spikes so that wouldn't work

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile

Pilsu, have any idea about the nature of these changes? Or is that just speculation?

Seems to me that decorations would need a quick summary, in any case, for naming purposes.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well even ignoring what Pilsu said the reasons why the names are so long is because the alternative is even longer...

Spikes, Studs, Engraved, Rings...

Your example only works if the only decoration is Spikes or if the other decorations are excluded.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you'd read his suggestion further, you would have run into this line:
For multiple decorations, it would default to "decorated", with howe'er it determines decoration quality displayed presently when multiple are. Or, in long form, ☼spiked☼ *studded* ≡jewel-bedecked≡ cedar left earring, as yet another option.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I saw that part but it is confusing. Though reading it closer I can see why I got confused since he basically says anything goes for multiple decorations.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

Well I'm just suggesting an option- it could be choosable by player where to see long and short. It also makes a nice way for material qualities to be included if/where needed.

As said, you can just have *decorated* for multiples (you don't have much room in that sidebar, and it isn't currently resizable)
or e'en leave off the decoration quality, as is currently an option.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile

Just to throw in my two cents here: I see Artifact "moods" as a culmination of years of thought, daydreams, emotional events, and outside forces acting on the dwarf in question's psyche.

When an Artifact is made, it's like a cross-section of years of that dwarf's life, not a spur-of-the-moment impulse.
Infact, I don't see how it *could* be an impulse: Artifacts are as much works of art as they are pinnacles of craft-achievement. The construction process is a final step in a series, not a sudden stumble.

But it also is something that exists outside of that dwarf's daily routine. I see it as being a subconscious thing--a waking dream-fugue, which is only, if profoundly, guided by events the dwarf experiences consciously.

Which may go a ways towards explaining why dwarfs can create Artifacts with any skill they have any knowledge of. They're trying to channel a vast, almost palatable, amount of creative energy, and it will seek any means to express itself, in it's exit from the dwarf.

Possession ofcourse is a different matter. I look upon that as an outside force "injecting" creative energy into our dwarfs, through supernatural means, and with unknown motivation.
For they would be your masters.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to throw in my two cents here: I see Artifact "moods" as a culmination of years of thought, daydreams, emotional events, and outside forces acting on the dwarf in question's psyche.

When an Artifact is made, it's like a cross-section of years of that dwarf's life, not a spur-of-the-moment impulse.
Infact, I don't see how it *could* be an impulse: Artifacts are as much works of art as they are pinnacles of craft-achievement. The construction process is a final step in a series, not a sudden stumble.

But it also is something that exists outside of that dwarf's daily routine. I see it as being a subconscious thing--a waking dream-fugue, which is only, if profoundly, guided by events the dwarf experiences consciously.

Which may go a ways towards explaining why dwarfs can create Artifacts with any skill they have any knowledge of. They're trying to channel a vast, almost palatable, amount of creative energy, and it will seek any means to express itself, in it's exit from the dwarf.

Possession ofcourse is a different matter. I look upon that as an outside force "injecting" creative energy into our dwarfs, through supernatural means, and with unknown motivation.
just make sure it reconciles with the personality traits which lead into artifacts.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure what you mean, eerr? Or what part you're referring to?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

☼spiked☼ *steel* +shortsword+
I think that that would get a bit bothersome to read, eventually.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe materials and decorations could be handled with different symbol? Maybe a different color for different metals?