Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: keeping tabs on the broker  (Read 554 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
keeping tabs on the broker
« on: January 13, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

when the traders come to visit i find that my broker is often difficult to pin down.  i make my miner the broker, request that he come to the depot and turn off all his tasks, but the s.o.b. always seems to find other things to do - harvest plants, carry items to the trade depot, drink, sleep, take a break etc.  i spend all my time watching the depot waiting for him to arrive and hoping the traders don't leave before he wakes up.

if i use q to look at the depot i can see what the broker is doing, or i can check the unit list and see the same thing.  it would be handy if there was a line at the top of the game screen (like the fps counter) that would tell me what the broker is doing at all times - or at least while i need him to trade.

while i'm thinking about it, if i've turned off all his tasks and requested him at the depot shouldn't the sucker head for the depot straight off?

cause of unexplainable mischief

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: keeping tabs on the broker
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

I find that to circumvent this problem, you have to sacrifice quite a bit of productivity. What you can do is make your 4 starting nobles the same guy and make him not do anything (aside from health care and cleaning?) for most of the time.

That way he has time to do whatever he needs to do like sleeping or eating. So when the traders arrive, he'll just scurry on over.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:16:52 am »

I'm pulling this discussion back up instead of starting a new thread.

I hate having to babysit the trade depot trying to figure out what the broker is doing - I don't particularly care that he's off doing his thing at the moment, I just don't want to have to sit there and watch until he shows up.

So, I'd like an announcement when my broker arrives at the trade depot similar to when the caravans do - perhaps an optional pause and zoom.

This is related to the Req's below:
# Req218, MERCHANT ANNOUNCEMENTS, (Future): Notification when merchants are done unloading.
# Req527, PROMPT MEETINGS, (Future): People that have meetings should take care of them promptly. The broker should get to the trade depot when called.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:28:49 am »

I'm pulling this discussion back up instead of starting a new thread.

I hate having to babysit the trade depot trying to figure out what the broker is doing - I don't particularly care that he's off doing his thing at the moment, I just don't want to have to sit there and watch until he shows up.

So, I'd like an announcement when my broker arrives at the trade depot similar to when the caravans do - perhaps an optional pause and zoom.

This is related to the Req's below:
# Req218, MERCHANT ANNOUNCEMENTS, (Future): Notification when merchants are done unloading.
# Req527, PROMPT MEETINGS, (Future): People that have meetings should take care of them promptly. The broker should get to the trade depot when called.

I agree with this compleatly.  It'd be nice if there was an annoucement because I tend to have the same problem.  I turn off all my traders tasks, he goes to eat, then sleep, then drink, then go on break, then carry all the trade goods..... then they might consider actually trading.  So in the mean time I go do other things, and tend to forget about the trader till I get the message that the traders are about to leave.... by which time my trader is hungry again...

So yeah, some simple announcements would be nice as well as increasing the priority of some jobs would be really nice.  Actually the eventual ability to assign priorities to tasks will make all of this alot better.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:45:19 am »

My brooker is also my hoardmaster. He spends all his time making sure that all accounts are accurate or sometimes tend to the wounded. That's all he does.
It takes alot of his time. In fact it takes up ALL of his time but what's a dwarf more or less? The nobles and admin live in the same place anyway. Dining halls, rooms and offices gathered around a nice well.

There's really no need to keep track of him. If he decides to take a nap instead of trade I simply replace him for the time being.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

vitaoma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »

I disable the organizer/appraiser jobs and it seems to work but an option like that would be way better.