Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Armed Assault 2: the DF of FPS, OFP2, PR, AA, CoD:MW2 realism fps!  (Read 5429 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Armed Assault 2: the DF of FPS, OFP2, PR, AA, CoD:MW2 realism fps!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:38 am »

This is going to be the first game I actually "buy" in awhile.  ::)

There's a bunch of videos on youtube on the most viewed sections featuring ArmA2 mission editing
small village battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_osU-eA8s
retardedly huge battles + ai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU
Artillery strike and raid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6pNYVcmcc&feature=channel_page
unscripted silliness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1Y-SpcI1s
stupid ridiculously huge air battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG8pVEmzO4

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 05:12:16 am »

As far as the AI goes, from what i've been reading, its been "added too" from the Arma version. So some key area's mighn't have changed, meaning some obscure bug/exploit has carried over. However, they also do new things, eg suppressing fire, leaning from corners, not seeing you through bushes etc.
Magma is overrated.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:28 am »

Demo is out on steam!

It has limited singleplayer, MULTIPLAYER, and mission editing, which is awesome.

It is released tomorrow, already ran it on my comp, so much fun blasting helicopters out of the sky as they bomb the shit out of us while dodging tanks.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 03:48:59 am »

I couldn't find the demo on steam so i got the regular version and tried the tutorial. After several rather bewildering mission objectives with no directions given whatsoever, menus that do whatever they want and unhelpful hints i got the job of driving somewhere to meet another soldier. I got in the humvee and followed the only road there was and ended up in a ruined town where i was shot by what looked like a terr from CS:S.

Presumably it's a nice game for everybody who already knew all the relevant stuff from O:FP and Arma 1 but as an outsider all i get is an incomprehensible mess and a community where "go back to playing crap of duty, kid" was one of the more polite responses about me asking a question about why a certain button doesn't do something while both the options menu and help tips say that it should.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:33 am »

huh? Regular version?

It's not out for another 12 hours at least.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 07:01:26 am »

huh? Regular version?

It's not out for another 12 hours at least.

The regular demo, as in, the one from filefront/gamershell/similar.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 06:07:08 pm »

I couldn't find the demo on steam so i got the regular version and tried the tutorial. After several rather bewildering mission objectives with no directions given whatsoever, menus that do whatever they want and unhelpful hints i got the job of driving somewhere to meet another soldier. I got in the humvee and followed the only road there was and ended up in a ruined town where i was shot by what looked like a terr from CS:S.

Presumably it's a nice game for everybody who already knew all the relevant stuff from O:FP and Arma 1 but as an outsider all i get is an incomprehensible mess and a community where "go back to playing crap of duty, kid" was one of the more polite responses about me asking a question about why a certain button doesn't do something while both the options menu and help tips say that it should.
Actually, the game gives you an orange marker to point at your objective. Menus are a bit confusing to get used to, but you can scroll through it with wheel, left click to select, right click to close menus.

As for the driving, thats a case of not watching the objective pointer, and you're not alone xD Except I stopped, and turned, and the MOUT guys followed me back. I found whatshisname lying on the ground where he dropped to avoid fire ;X
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 03:16:06 am »

I re-downloaded it through steam and i now got the third person camera and objective marker working but for some reason the MOUT guys ambushed me when i was practicing with the rocket launchers.

Another thing i was wondering is how it's possible to know when bullets fly in an arc and when they move in a perfectly flat line, it seems kinda random to me. On the first mission i got in the lighthouse and grabbed a dragunov and began plinking away at the troops on the airfield. Some shots i fired several notches on my scope(do those represent degrees or something else, also how should i read the graphs on there too?) above the target and the rounds still fell short. At the same time i occasionally see bullets impacting exactly where the tip of the triangle was pointing, as in several hundred meters behind the airport. Do i posses latent Fraternity powers or is the game bugging out?

Lastly, flying a helicopter. How does it work? All i can do is fly forward 10 feet and then park it on it's nose.

PS, the lighthouse has a rather weird clipping bug. By being prone on the upper walkway and repeatedly scoping/unscoping i managed to fall through it.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:25 am »

I re-downloaded it through steam and i now got the third person camera and objective marker working but for some reason the MOUT guys ambushed me when i was practicing with the rocket launchers.

Another thing i was wondering is how it's possible to know when bullets fly in an arc and when they move in a perfectly flat line, it seems kinda random to me. On the first mission i got in the lighthouse and grabbed a dragunov and began plinking away at the troops on the airfield. Some shots i fired several notches on my scope(do those represent degrees or something else, also how should i read the graphs on there too?) above the target and the rounds still fell short. At the same time i occasionally see bullets impacting exactly where the tip of the triangle was pointing, as in several hundred meters behind the airport. Do i posses latent Fraternity powers or is the game bugging out?

Lastly, flying a helicopter. How does it work? All i can do is fly forward 10 feet and then park it on it's nose.

PS, the lighthouse has a rather weird clipping bug. By being prone on the upper walkway and repeatedly scoping/unscoping i managed to fall through it.

Bullets ALWAYS move in arcs, the shape of the arc depends on the actual ballistic properties of the gun. A stronger weapon like a sniper rifle will have less drop than a standard issue rifle over range. And boy does this game make you feel for the poor suckers who only have ironsights.

The notches in the gun's optical scope, reachable from tapping right mouse button (not pressing it) generally represent meters from target. Most of the gun notches are in groups of 200 meters but some are different. So if someone is 200 meters away, aim first notch, 400 second, 600 third, 800 etc... the gun's scope should give a general number in hundreds of meters. This gives you the bullet drop over distance and tells you how much to compensate. The guns also have sway if you were running, moving, out of breath, and there's recoil from firing. make sure to crouch or go prone when firing long distances or for long periods of time.

The guys with rocket launchers going nuts during the training is a bug. hah. It was addressed on the official forums.

The helicopter is tricky, but like Project Reality and other harder sim games... You must hover straight up and then ever so slightly tilt forward to get forward movement. Don't just press forward though, this will lead to you faceplanting into the ground. Landing is a royal pain in the ass, since the helos natural state is to hover straight up, you must aim down towards the ground and then pull backwards to slow, then finally touching down. I've never piloted a helo in real life, but I can tell you from having ridden in one before it is extremely tricky business. I would much rather ride in a plane. Don't forget, Q speed up and E slow down buttons are your friend too.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I promise not to give you a "hurr go back to call of doodie" response.  ::)

If you actually buy the game, using the editor to be a sniper in a ghillie suit is more fun than it ought to be.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:47:03 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 11:49:19 am »

It seemed a bit odd that out of 10 rounds with my dragunov, about 7 on average suffer noticeable drop at 900 meters(and common sense says they should) but the remaining 3 fly in a perfectly straight line until they hit a hill on the far side of the valley. Additionally, every time i get shot i end up in "wounded" state for half an hour after which i get a little note saying "victory". Did the AI complete all objectives on it's own? I still can't get through that village without being incapacitated for the rest of the mission and more often then not it's because someting jumped out less then 5 meter away from me and my character feels like he is controlled with several large levers, steam valves and a big pipe for yelling orders to the engine room or being shot by a sniper at a distance where he's less then 1 pixel in size and thus completely invisible.

Then there's the problem that the medic is sitting barely 3 meters away from me with half the squad defending him but he insists on being covered by a sniper before healing me with me being the only sniper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 04:09:07 pm »

Just tried the demo.  That was excruciating.  I haven't played something that far out of my computer's league in a long time.
Shoes...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:38 pm »

I've been having fun with the editor. Its easy to learn but bloody hard to master.

Placing down 2 groups of infantry is a breeze. getting one to be in a helicopter, do a landing, jump out, and assault an objective when your not in command: not so easy. But i'm still learning.
Magma is overrated.

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 09:37:57 pm »

Hrm... well turning everything down as low as it'll go almost gets rid of the floaty mouse lag... almost. It's like I'm playing OFP all over again. Really wish this didn't feel so buggy, and the default keyboard controls were better.

I can't help but feel like people are talking about some other game that I'm not playing when they're talking about this. :(

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:39 am »

I was told that the demo wasn't fully representative of the final product so i got my hands on the internet version for some further testing.

You know what? They were absolutely right in the most wrong way imaginable.

Aside from the one specific map/mission polished specifically to make it as presentable as possible, the rest of the game isn't just buggy, it's downright crap. Controls are unresponsive and often don't even work, AI would fail to conquer a retirement home if it wasn't for their infrared sight and aimbot abilities, hit detection is a failure, performance is bad and there's load times EVERYWHERE.

Either that or FADE is very effective at deterring people who use the free version as an indicator of whether or not they will buy it because costumers who won't blindly go out to buy the sequel the moment a marketing guy wanks off in their face are apparently worse then having no costumers at all.

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 12:02:48 pm »

Been playing this for a while now, and I love it - though I've never played through the singleplayer maps beyond boot camp in either this or ArmA I. The game really shines in the editor, and particularly multiplayer coop - user missions. It's even more fun when you find a group of people to play with regularly. For me this game is all about delayed gratification. Setting up assault plans, breaking off into teams, etc, though I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I really haven't been experiencing the problems you have, aside from the AI occasionally shooting through trees that I can't see through. It makes sense to me that if I can pick off a guy from hundreds of meters, they should be able to do the same.

I'd be willing to bet that if it feels so broken you can't play it, it's FADE doing it's thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4