Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Armed Assault 2: the DF of FPS, OFP2, PR, AA, CoD:MW2 realism fps!  (Read 5412 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Posting from work...
ArmA 2 is coming out this month, and you can preorder on steam!

ArmA2 is the 3rd game from Bohemia Interactive, who created the genre-defining Operation Flashpoint which set a new standard for tactical shooters in an open, moddable world. CoD too kiddy and hollywood for you? You'll love ArmA2.

I never got the original ArmA because it was a placeholder to fund ArmA2, but damn does this look awesome.

I'm also pumped for OFP2 though its being programmed by codemasters (the publishers of OFP1 who won a long legal battle over Bohemia for the OFP namebrand). Looks watered down (for consoles) but very pretty.

CoD6: modern warfare2 is coming out and its looking to be another... cinematic choose your pwn adventure masterpiece.

I love Project Reality mod as well.

What are your guy's thoughts?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Armed Assault 2: the DF of FPS, OFP2, PR, AA, CoD:MW2 realism fps!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:55 pm »

Already played it, already deleted it. =p

I'm gonna wait for an english version without the annoying bugs. They seriously need to iron the bugs better, even tho ArmA2 was beta tested for a long time.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »

So you DLed the preworldwide/german release and got a lot of bugs? I wonder why...  ::)  :P

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:38:00 pm »

Very excited for this one. Surely the final release will be less problematic than the leaked version?

If ArmA 2 is anything like the first, coop missions online, the campaign editor and modding scene will make it well worth the money, regardless of how the campaign is.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:24 pm »

In what way is it even different from the first ArmA? It seems to me it's to ArmA what ArmA is to OFP.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:07:51 pm »

So you DLed the preworldwide/german release and got a lot of bugs? I wonder why...  ::)  :P
I'm sorry but WHAT? The beta-tester patch shows the versions are the same. I highly doubt anything will change at the english language release. The bugs I didn't even mention are regular gameplay glitches that were there as well in ArmA 1. They just never learn or they probably just threw crap over arma1's source. The AI seems to be the same, you can abuse the same detection glitch you could on ArmA. You can get stuck on some places the same way you could on arma and that's one thing I even tried to see if they had fixed it, they didn't. The driver AI still acts the same way too, which is rather bad.

And what I meant about waiting for an english version without the annoying bugs was waiting for an english release and hopefully a few patches. But I highly doubt the major issues will be fixed.

Surely the final release will be less problematic than the leaked version?
It's not a leaked version. It's an actual german release. It's being sold already.

Edit: As in sold and delivered and played.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:31:35 pm by Soulwynd »

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »

Since you've played it, do you have an answer to my question?
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:56 pm »

In what way is it even different from the first ArmA? It seems to me it's to ArmA what ArmA is to OFP.
It looks prettier and you get to fly a vtol? Otherwise, it's exactly the same. Even the controls are the same.

Oh, btw, I realize I gave the wrong impression with my first post, but don't get me wrong, the game is awesome. I just want to wait and hope they will do something about most of the gameplay issues. If they do, I will buy it for sure.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:56:39 pm by Soulwynd »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:36 am »

I tried to play the demo of the first one but the clunky controls(i have to stand still before I'm allowed to sprint?) and the "wtf am i supposed to do now" moments during what was supposed to be a tutorial of some sorts. Or was i supposed to have completed OFP before starting ArmA?

Now before somebody jumps into my face screaming "REALISM" at the top of their lungs, giving somebody a gun and dropping them in an unknown location with no information whatsoever and a squad that runs off at the first opportunity they get is NOT a recognized military tactic.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:02:02 am »

Nah, I wasn't making fun of you Soulwynd, I was actually making a cheeky tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that Bohemia Interactive basically said in an interview that the German release was for major bugtesting/extra-beta testing before the worldwide release. Fairly evil, but effective - considering the original ArmA had a fairly horrid worldwide release bugset but now ArmA has become an awesome game just in time for ArmA2's release.

Also, I was under the impression that most of the engine was scrapped inbetween ArmA1 and 2. At least, the underlying code differences between 1 and 2 are larger than OFP and ArmA.

Asehujiko: I highly recommend playing on a Tactical Gamer server or SimHQ or any other hardcore group that's newbie friendly. They'll help you get into coop missions which shine much more than the regular campaign.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:06:27 pm »

Visually, it has been much improved. The animations are still crap, but there are quite a few improvements. I think they reused a lot of the physics and AI code they already had, as you can find the same behavior between both.

It also has the same issue with precision. At less than 50 meters, laying on the floor, in aim mode, zoomed in, aiming at your target, the bullet misses by like 1 or 2 meters sometimes. It's absurd for any rifle and pretty ridiculous for a game that claims realism. xD

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 12:24:16 pm »

Perhaps you have yet to fire a rifle at such a range? It's not as easy as it sounds.

To hit a human sized target, If you're off by even one degree, you miss.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 03:19:23 pm »

I have trophies from doing 200 meters with irons.

I said the rifles are not precise as in, you aim right in game (with all optimal conditions) and the shot goes off by one meter. At 20-50 meters. That's bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:26:33 pm by Soulwynd »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »

Didn't ArmA1 have hidden copy protection that would make your aim go apeshit if it failed some check? Maybe there's something of this sort in ArmA2?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

No, it started bugging, giving slow fps and pretty much breaking the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4